• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dolphin Vs Swan

Sweettears

60 years of Disney fandom and counting
I am considering staying in either the Swan or the Dolphin for a November trip as opposed to a moderate. We usually stay deluxe but not going to happen without a pin.

My question to the experienced is which one provides the best views of the parks/fireworks/Boardwalk? Also a balcony is a must. Do all rooms have them?

I believe the best views of Epcot and the fireworks would be in the "West" wing of the Dolphin. I am not sure what the best rooms for that view would be at the Swan. And no, not all the rooms have balconies.

My wife and I try to stay at the Swan every year for our Anniversary in November. This year both hotels were booked, so we are staying at the BWI. For all those years, except last year, we have stayed at the Swan. Last year we stayed at the Dolphin. Both are nice hotels, but we like the Swan much more. The rooms seem to be nicer and although the beds are suppose to be the same at both hotels, the Swan's seem more comfortable. Not all rooms have balconies. Just ask for one when you make your reservation.

Both are owned by the same company - but Swan is a Westin and Dolphin is a Sheraton, so Swan is a bit more upscale than Dolphin. Seems more of the convention crowd stays at Dolphin - I've had a couple bad housekeeping stays at Dolphin, but not at Swan. There are queen beds in Swan versus doubles in Dolphin. Throughout both, the dining options are some of the best on Disney property, in my opinion. They don't take the dining plan (which suites me fine) and you can't utilize magical express, but you do get EMH. I usually get a balcony because I get upgraded as a Starwood member, but never spent time at the hotel during fireworks, so I have no idea how the views might be. All you can do is request and see what happens.

I am considering staying in either the Swan or the Dolphin for a November trip as opposed to a moderate. We usually stay deluxe but not going to happen without a pin.

My question to the experienced is which one provides the best views of the parks/fireworks/Boardwalk? Also a balcony is a must. Do all rooms have them?

East wing of Dolphin, IMHO, has best view of Epcot fireworks and BW.
Room wise, I'd say the Swan is better, due to bigger beds and extra sink in bathroom area.

Dolphin hands down has more family amenities ...food court...larger pool complex...there are more people at the Dolphin pool complex therefore, the bar is more likely to stay open....just got back from Dolphin many days the pool bar at Swan was closed and Dolphin open.....Dolphin seems more family friendly....we had room 1027 ground level facing east...could see the epcot fireworks great...had ducks pecking on our patio window every morning....wonderful room...little walk to other areas of hotel but great room............

Thanks for the feedback. The family friendly part isn't as important as its a solo trip. I'm more interested in a room with a balcony and a good view to chill out on.

I have had a wonderful boardwalk/Epcot view from my balcony at the Dolphin. As already mentioned, not all rooms have balconies. And those rooms with a balcony and a view towards Epcot are a higher priced catagory. I just can't remember what the catagory is called at the moment. But, my room was terrific. It was on a mid-level floor, overlooking the fountain outside the Dolphin. I had a terrific view of the fireworks at night.

You can request a balcony room at either resort, but if you want to guarantee one, it's a higher-rate category that you have to book that way. Both hotels are convention hotels & often full to capacity. Comp upgrades go to Platinum Starwood members first, then Gold & then if there are any left to be had, it's on a case by case basis, to Preferred Starwood members.

So if you must have a balcony, you'll need to pay more to book that category. Also don't forget to become a Starwood member, any status sometimes helps.

The best views of Epcot are from The Dolphin East wing, but of course most of those rooms are Epcots Fireworks View with Balcony categories, so you will pay more for those. From the Dolphin West wings you will see DHS.

I've stayed at both hotels several times, but I've never had a great view at The Swan, so I can't help you out there.

I think I may have stayed in one of the ten best rooms in all of WDW for seeing fireworks.

Our rooms (735 and 736) were on the seventh floor of the Swan, in the wing that sticks out from the main building (all rooms in these wings have balconies), on the Boardwalk side of the hotel. From our balcony we had great views of both Wishes and Illuminations.

For Illuminations, we were high enough to be above the trees and roof of the BWV and BWI and see the fireworks during the show that only go a few feet in the air. I've been in other locations (like the CBR and on the Boardwalk) during Illuminations and you can only see a few of the fireworks that are launched very high in the air.

While Wishes was quite a bit off in the distance, we could easily see the entire show. Yes I could tell which were launched from behind the park high into the air, and which were launched from Fantasyland and went much lower, but it was still neat to see. And it was very cool when we saw all of the fireworks that ring the park during the finale of Hallo-Wishes.

I think there are only a few rooms (less than 10) in all of WDW that could have good lines of sight to both of these shows. None of the Disney resorts are high enough to see both shows, with the exception of the Contemporary, which could only have a view of one or the other.

The Dolphin and Swan are high enough in some rooms, but angled in such a way that you'll only have a line of sight to one show. There's just a few rooms on the 6th and 7th, and maybe 5th floor of the Swan that have lines of sight into both shows.

I think I may have stayed in one of the ten best rooms in all of WDW for seeing fireworks.

Our rooms (735 and 736) were on the seventh floor of the Swan, in the wing that sticks out from the main building (all rooms in these wings have balconies), on the Boardwalk side of the hotel. From our balcony we had great views of both Wishes and Illuminations.

For Illuminations, we were high enough to be above the trees and roof of the BWV and BWI and see the fireworks during the show that only go a few feet in the air. I've been in other locations (like the CBR and on the Boardwalk) during Illuminations and you can only see a few of the fireworks that are launched very high in the air.

While Wishes was quite a bit off in the distance, we could easily see the entire show. Yes I could tell which were launched from behind the park high into the air, and which were launched from Fantasyland and went much lower, but it was still neat to see. And it was very cool when we saw all of the fireworks that ring the park during the finale of Hallo-Wishes.

I think there are only a few rooms (less than 10) in all of WDW that could have good lines of sight to both of these shows. None of the Disney resorts are high enough to see both shows, with the exception of the Contemporary, which could only have a view of one or the other.

The Dolphin and Swan are high enough in some rooms, but angled in such a way that you'll only have a line of sight to one show. There's just a few rooms on the 6th and 7th, and maybe 5th floor of the Swan that have lines of sight into both shows.

Would any of those rooms happen to be deluxe alcoves? I booked one of those for October and I hope to have that same kind of view!

Would any of those rooms happen to be deluxe alcoves? I booked one of those for October and I hope to have that same kind of view!
No these were standard balcony rooms. But I would think the alcove rooms on 5-6-7 with the same view of the Boardwalk/Epcot would work. The further 'out' on the wings you go in the Swan, the more the Dolphin will obstruct your view toward the MK. Its just a few rooms where the wing meets the main building that the Dolphin is not in the way.

Hopefully, you can see what I mean on this map.

I have had a wonderful boardwalk/Epcot view from my balcony at the Dolphin. As already mentioned, not all rooms have balconies. And those rooms with a balcony and a view towards Epcot are a higher priced catagory. I just can't remember what the catagory is called at the moment. But, my room was terrific. It was on a mid-level floor, overlooking the fountain outside the Dolphin. I had a terrific view of the fireworks at night.

What was your room number and did it have a balcony? We have reserved a room with balcony, do all rooms with the balcony have a good view?

We stayed at the Swan once. I thought the Swan had a "cozier" feel because it is much smaller than the enormous Dolphin. Both are lovely and the location is fabulous. You can't beat the price to stay in that location.

Good luck. I think either hotel is fine. Hope you have a magical vacation!

Has anyone ever booked a hospitality suite at the Dolphin? I just did and was hoping to get some feedback about this.Do they have balconys,good views etc.Also this may be silly to some but does anyone know what kind of coffee pots are in the rooms? Must have my morning fix of good coffee first thing.Can't deal with the nescafe at the other resorts lol :):)

We are at the Dolphin right now. I wish I had picked the Swan. We do have a view of the fireworks, but the staff here has been awful! Camp Dolphin was really disappointing. The front desk have not been helpful in getting an incorrect charged removed.

I stayed here years ago and everyone was nice, but I think the guests have changed a bit. Kids running and screaming in the lobby. Kid ran and smacked his head on the fountain and starting crying. When his parents finally wandered over they started screaming at him.

The room was not very clean when we checked in. Our "heavenly bed" actually has a wood board under the mattress. Most of our view is of another guest who hangs laundry out to dry each day. We have had atleast two different pizza advertisements slid under the door each day.

I may look into switching over to the Swan. Neither resort is full.

We are at the Dolphin right now. I wish I had picked the Swan. We do have a view of the fireworks, but the staff here has been awful! Camp Dolphin was really disappointing. The front desk have not been helpful in getting an incorrect charged removed.

I stayed here years ago and everyone was nice, but I think the guests have changed a bit. Kids running and screaming in the lobby. Kid ran and smacked his head on the fountain and starting crying. When his parents finally wandered over they started screaming at him.

The room was not very clean when we checked in. Our "heavenly bed" actually has a wood board under the mattress. Most of our view is of another guest who hangs laundry out to dry each day. We have had atleast two different pizza advertisements slid under the door each day.

I may look into switching over to the Swan. Neither resort is full.
I'm so sorry to hear your stay has been less than magical. I would definitely bring your concerns to management and give them a chance to make it right, or request to be transferred over to the Swan. Unfortunately, though, the screaming kid situation and the laundry guy might be a little beyond their control.

Best of luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter