• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dolphin tips and thoughts

That sounds really high. What is your room rate for the dolphin? What month?

Going through their own site and using the AAA discount (the SPG wasn't "available") and getting the room with balcony and view and refundable, was 2378.40 for 8 nights. That did not include parking fees but I think it included resort fees. The time period is 12/14/11-12/22/11.

I was HOPING to get it for less but I really want refundable/cancel possible in case WDW resorts offer a deal of some sort.

I can understand the food costs and are about what I expected or better. Same with ticket prices. The resort prices have totally stunned me (not the value ones).

This has been a wake-up call and not a nice one by Mickey either. ;)

The gift shop is okay, but it could be so much better.

The gift shops in both The Swan and Dolphin are Disney stores, Disney-owned, and Disney run! So I'm not sure what you mean by "could be so much better" - than what? They are identical to any gift shop onsite I've been in at a value, mod or deluxe. The one at The Dolphin also has the best pin trading board I've ever seen at any Disney property.

The boutique at The Dolphin is quite pricey, but it's a boutique, so that's to be expected. The candy shop there is expensive too, but tons of fun. Neither of those shops are Disney-owned.

The gift shops in both The Swan and Dolphin are Disney stores, Disney-owned, and Disney run! So I'm not sure what you mean by "could be so much better" - than what? They are identical to any gift shop onsite I've been in at a value, mod or deluxe. The one at The Dolphin also has the best pin trading board I've ever seen at any Disney property.

The boutique at The Dolphin is quite pricey, but it's a boutique, so that's to be expected. The candy shop there is expensive too, but tons of fun. Neither of those shops are Disney-owned.
I like the gift shops and I always give my opinion of them. I couldn't care less who owns them or runs them. What possible difference could that make to me? I can't think of any.

No two gift shops in WDW are identical. I don't think you meant that they were all identical, but I have no idea what you did mean.

It could be so much better than it is.

They need better stuff, arranged more attractively.

Going through their own site and using the AAA discount (the SPG wasn't "available") and getting the room with balcony and view and refundable, was 2378.40 for 8 nights. That did not include parking fees but I think it included resort fees. The time period is 12/14/11-12/22/11.

I was HOPING to get it for less but I really want refundable/cancel possible in case WDW resorts offer a deal of some sort.

I can understand the food costs and are about what I expected or better. Same with ticket prices. The resort prices have totally stunned me (not the value ones).

This has been a wake-up call and not a nice one by Mickey either. ;)

It sounds like a rack rate because I am checking for next spring and getting the same prices. However I do expect (at least hope) there will be some discounts. You may want to call and ask instead of just going through the website. Most people seem to get some discount at the swan/dolphin.

I do think those prices are likely to come way down. We paid well under $200 per night including all taxes/fees for an Epcot fireworks view room around Memorial Day, which is a more peak season, I believe. The standard rooms were around $30-$40 less per night. I booked at one rate, and then called several times as new promotions came out. So no, there aren't Disney pin codes, but there are discount promotions quite frequently. Also, I was able to cancel up to something between 1 and 5 days out with no penalty. (I booked directly by calling the hotel.)

Good luck!

Not sure if I missed it but...how many in your party? We had the Dolphin booked at a great rate but once we added in the fees (resort, parking) and we needed a cot, it wasn't such a deal anymore:( The BC ended up costing about 150 more so we decided to do that and can drive to the parks if we choose without paying. Hope to stay there one day.....without the kiddos:rotfl: Enjoy!!

First, definitely join the Starwood program. We did, and even without any points accumulated, they upgraded us from standard to resort view. A few photos:

f1a6fc63.jpg

b0a72cb1.jpg

And the pool:

47a5ef54.jpg

61f5b7a0.jpg

c358a022.jpg

The resort:

4eef001e.jpg

3af0d6a7.jpg

We stayed at Dolphin over Memorial Day weekend - it was a quick non-parks stay on the way from SW Florida beaches to the Orlando airport. We loved Picabu for quick service (open 24 hours - great burgers and sandwiches and just about everything you could think of in the odds and ends department) and bluezoo for table service.

We spent lots of time over at the Boardwalk and Beach Club in the evening for shopping, treats, etc, and watched Illuminations from the bridge between the two:

bed3fada.jpg

Our youngest loved the playground at the Dolphin:

63dd6cb3.jpg

My husband and our boys watched a movie on the beach at BC and we went over to the BC Marketplace for breakfast one morning. (Check buildabettermousetrip.com or the link in my signature, below for movie schedules.) The Epcot resort area is wonderful! Just a walk around the lake in either the morning or the evening is a treat.

Also, lots of rentals at the BC Marina:

d6ec41fd.jpg

Enjoy your trip!! :wizard:

hi
I keep reading about upgrades- so quick question, I am already a starwoods member from previous work travel but not any high up level. We are arriving tomorrow at the Swan for 5 days/4 nights in a standard room at my corp rate of $129. Do they charge for the upgrades or is there some possible Disney magic? Do i ask at check in or would it help to call this evening?? I would love a litte something extra- well who doesnt!

thanks

hi
I keep reading about upgrades- so quick question, I am already a starwoods member from previous work travel but not any high up level. We are arriving tomorrow at the Swan for 5 days/4 nights in a standard room at my corp rate of $129. Do they charge for the upgrades or is there some possible Disney magic? Do i ask at check in or would it help to call this evening?? I would love a litte something extra- well who doesnt!

thanks

I'm sure you can pay for upgrades. Free upgrades are for the higher levels but it doesn't hurt to ask. I would ask at check in. Have a fun trip.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but even though Pop Warner will be at Port Orleans, American Youth Football and Cheer will be at the Dolphin from 12/3 - 12/11.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but even though Pop Warner will be at Port Orleans, American Youth Football and Cheer will be at the Dolphin from 12/3 - 12/11.

Fairly small block, though ... less than 20% of house.

This year, Pop Warner has been moved to CBR due to the refurb at POR and the need to hold POFQ for overflow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter