Dolphin swim, reassurance needed!

I Love Tigger

Mouseketeer
We have booked our first dolphin swim, as a special birthday present for my husbands 50th birthday.

Originally I was going to watch him doing the swim, but he wanted us to both to have the experience. :goodvibes

Now it's getting closer, I'm starting to have some serious worries how I'll cope. I can swim but don't like getting water in my face ;) , especially as I wear glasses.

My other worry is I suffer from Fibromyalgia and don't know how I'll feel on the day. I don't want to spoil the day for my husband, and will be fine except for the swim. Can someone reassure me how gentle, or rough the actual swim is?

Thank you :wave2:

it is much more a 'stand there' than a swim

I don't recall even getting my hair wet . . .

You ll be fine, I m not a strong swimmer at all and freak out if my feet can't reach the bottom! You stand on a ledge in the water and water came about chest height on me (I m barely 5feet tall!)
I was so scared before I went as I knew people that had swam in Mexico with dolphins and the water was really deep!!
You will have an amazing time I ve not been able to fit in discovery cove since 2008 and really feel overdue a visit!!

Are you doing the dolphin encounter (which is in shallow water) or the dolphin swim (which for us was in very deep water)? Our swim was so much fun, the highlight of our trip! We wore life preservers which was great for my kids and my mother-in-law, who is not a strong swimmer. The dolphins were very gentle and sweet. We went to Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter in Nassau and recommend them very much...I think you'll love it!
PS The dolphins sometimes deliberately splash you in the face when the trainers ask them to, which is funny, but if you wouldn't like I would let them know beforehand. Have fun!

Are you doing the dolphin encounter (which is in shallow water) or the dolphin swim (which for us was in very deep water)? Our swim was so much fun, the highlight of our trip! We wore life preservers which was great for my kids and my mother-in-law, who is not a strong swimmer. The dolphins were very gentle and sweet. We went to Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter in Nassau and recommend them very much...I think you'll love it!
PS The dolphins sometimes deliberately splash you in the face when the trainers ask them to, which is funny, but if you wouldn't like I would let them know beforehand. Have fun!

We have booked two dolphin swims, so guess in deep water :confused: didn't realise there was two options unless you chose the non swim. Thanks for the tip about them splashing you, don't mind a bit of water, but it was the image of been pulled along, and me going under the water that I was dreading :eek:

We have booked two dolphin swims, so guess in deep water :confused: didn't realise there was two options unless you chose the non swim. Thanks for the tip about them splashing you, don't mind a bit of water, but it was the image of been pulled along, and me going under the water that I was dreading :eek:

Everyone is given the option of having the "swim" portion of the dolphin interaction (where you hold the dolphin by the fin and he/she "drags" you through the water) in shallow water vs. deep water. If you are uncomfortable with the idea of being in the deeper area, just opt for the shallow water swim when the trainer offers.

The dolphin interaction is very low key, all-ages-friendly (under 6 excepted) and not intense or taxing in the slightest. I think you will REALLY enjoy it. You have the opportunity to touch, pet, feed, and interact with the dolphin all while standing in chest-deep water, then the "swim" ends off your 30-minute experience. I wouldn't stress at all, I Love Tigger. I bet it will turn out to be the highlight of your day!

To give you an idea of how close your face is to the water during the swim, this is my DS during our visit in January 2012:

The rest of the time, this is about as deep and intense as it gets:

Thank you Gina so much for putting the photos on which are great and explaining the two options :goodvibes that really helps and I can now look forward to the experience.

Thanks again

Bev :flower3:

I just did the Dolphin swim with my 9 yo daughter who cannot swim well at all, and has a muscle condition that leaves her weaker than average.

The trainers were wonderful with her. She just did the interaction portion.

I am a good swimmer and did the deep swim. It was very short, but fun.

They will ensure that you are safe and comfortable.

We LOVED it, and Im sure you will too.

I just did the Dolphin swim with my 9 yo daughter who cannot swim well at all, and has a muscle condition that leaves her weaker than average.

The trainers were wonderful with her. She just did the interaction portion.

I am a good swimmer and did the deep swim. It was very short, but fun.

They will ensure that you are safe and comfortable.

We LOVED it, and Im sure you will too.

Thanks for the reassurance, it does help to know so many people have done it and enjoyed it.

Glad you had a good time :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter