Dolphin pig delivery...medication

mayaflysmama

Earning My Ears
We are going to WDW in December and staying at the Dolphin for the first time. My daughter is on IV nutrition as well as several IV medications that will need to be shipped from our pharmacy every couple of days due to stability. Last year we stayed at POP and had no issues with them putting boxes in the fridge and our picking them up each evening. When I called the Dolphin to ask about the best way to go about this delivery as well as oxygen delivery I was told there would be a $10 charge for each 50# box. This will add about $70 to our trip! I understand they charge for packages since it is a convention hotel, but it is all medication and shipped direct from the pharmacy and the oxygen delivered by home care company. Can they do this? I know very little about ADA and typically just roll with things, but it is already a stretch to stay there, but a stretch we are making for the walking convenience with a wheelchair. Just curious if I should try to talk to someone else at Dolphin about this or have any basis for feeling like this is an over the top charge (I would understand if it was groceries or other items I'd shipped)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I would try calling them again talking to the hotel manager and see if they waive the fee for medical supplies. If that doesn't work I would call Sheraton's corporate offices and ask to speak to the compliance person for the hotels and see if they can get the fees waived.

Because it is a Conference Hotel, you are getting the standard response.
There is nothing I am aware of in the ADA that would say they have to waive the fee, but I would be really surprised if they make you pay it for medical supplies once you talk to someone who is able to make exceptions.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll continue to try to reach someone who has some ability to make a decision on this. If it was just one box I wouldn't think twice, but last time we got multiple boxes, multiple days and then oxygen delivery which they said there would be a fee to have them receive also. I know things are easier once you are there and can talk to someone in person, but like to iron out what I can from home. Wish I knew when Fed Ex came and I'd just meet them and get the boxes directly from them each morning before we left for the park.

One more question sort of related. Has anyone else stayed at the Dolphin with a wheelchair and/or other considerations? We chose it due to price vs deluxe and not needing to rely on the bus as much. If a discount comes out we could do Wilderness Lodge, but I'm not sure with a wheelchair that really makes getting to the park any easier. Does that make sense? Any thoughts?

(I just noticed my title auto corrected from pkg to pig! Oops!)

Definately try again an talk to a manager or above at the Dolpin and relay your situation.

Since they are a convention hotel they do charge to receive packages as they get so many but this is a different situation so the "standard response" may not be the correct info in your case.

I have stayed at the Dolphin at least once a year and IMHO they have Excellent customer service - as good and in my experience sometimes better than Disney. So make sure they understand you arn't making a profit from your delivery (as the convention holders may be) but that it is necessary for your stay.

I think a wheelchair would be fine at the Dolpin - can't see any issues. Not sure if you have to transfer on the boat or if you can stay in but its very easy to boat or walk to Epcot and the Studios.

I have stayed at the Dolphin with a WC. You can drive right on the boat and don't have to transfer. It makes getting to two of the parks very easy. I also was able to board the first bus for MK and AK....no waiting for a second or third bus!

From my HC room, I could see fireworks every night!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter