• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dolphin or Boardwalk? So torn!!

texas68

Earning My Ears
I've been going back and forth about this for months - it's time to call in the experts!!

We are headed to WDW for just 3 nights this June before we board the Fantasy. :banana: We have been to WDW before with our kids and stayed at the Beach Club (2x) and the Poly. Each time we've done the dining plan. We loved the resorts and the ease of using the DP. This time, however, we booked the Dolphin because the rate was good compared to the Deluxe resorts ($200/night).

But.... I've always wanted to stay at the Boardwalk, and I've been second-guessing the Dolphin since the day I made the reservation.

So, here's my question for those of you who have stayed at the Swan/Dolphin before: is the price break worth the trade-off of no dining plan, and a few other missing Disney amenities? Will the family still love the resort and be enchanted by the pool and the overall experience? Obviously, the Boardwalk is much more expensive. Just not sure what to do!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!

We have stayed at the Dolphin multiple times and are headed there in a couple of weeks. The location is just as good as BWI. We have also stayed at BC/YC (love), Poly, CR, WL so I have some frame of reference with other Disney Deluxe resorts. In terms of your decision, here are some questions I would ask:

1. How important is the Disney theming to you? Swan and Dolphin are upscale, but not very "themed." The beds are super comfy. The pool area is quite nice, and there is a slide, but again not as "themed." There are also frequently conventions and/or business travelers there.

2. What would you do with the money you save? Just pocket the savings (totally valid) or go an extra shore excursion on your cruise, splurge on spa treatments, a special meal or souvenirs? If it's something you all are really looking forward to doing, that may help psychologically. Also, have you factored in the daily resort fee and parking charge (if you are driving) for the Dolphin? Just to make sure you know exactly how much you'll be saving.

3. When are you likely to return to WDW and have a chance to stay at BWI if you don't do so on this trip? If it could be a while and you think your "WDW window" might be closing in terms of kids' ages, etc., maybe you don't want to put it off.

Hopefully this will help in your decision-making. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip!

I just got back from a stay at the Dolphin and LOVED it. I did some jogging around the whole Board/Yacht&Beach/Swan/Dolphin area and in terms of pools, I would pick the Swan/Dolphin over the Boardwalk. Stormalong Bay at Y&B is tempting, but the Boardwalk's pool did not appeal to me as much as all the options you have at Swan/Dolphin (2 lap pools, a big leisure pool, kids' pool, tons of spa pools, and beach areas).
The DDP is of no interest to me, so that wasn't a consideration.
Beds were comfy, no hallway noise, helpful staff, points for my Starwood account, buses to MK and AK went straight there after Dolphin... loved it all!

The Dolphin is a great & comfortable place to stay. IMO the rooms and beds are alot nicer at the Dolphin. You are right there on the Boardwalk anyway.....save your money, you wont be disappointed.

Everyone has a hang up on what they desire in a resort. We do like the Swan and Dolphin, but our first stay at WDW was at Grand Floridian and I really got hooked on having a balcony. So personally I always prefer BWI and the other deluxe resorts with balconies.

As a previous poster indicated, the Swan is quite luxurious but you won't find much in the way of Disney theming. Love it there, but I can see where some people would not feel like they were at a WDW resort there.

Don't forget that when staying at the Dolphin you won't be able to get the Disney Dining Plan or have access to Magical Express.

Now while I think the Dolphin does look like a nice to place to stay, personally I enjoy the theme/atmosphere of the Boardwalk Inn a lot more.

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful comments! I suspect we will end up keeping our reservation at the Dolphin, and save our $$$. I appreciate your advice! :)

I'm glad to hear you are keeping the Dolphin. It really is a nice place. I love the Disney hotels but would definitely stay at Swan/Dolphin again. You get so much more for your $$$.

Okay...I own DVC at BWV, so obviously I love it there. BUT, I also love my Dolphin stays. If you book a higher catagory, you can get a balcony, one that actually faces towards Epcot and BW. That's my favorite type room.
You have Picabu downstairs on the bottom level....terrific cafeteria style restaurant...love it.
The pool area is terrific. We had a ball there. And it's a quick walk across the street to Fantasia Gardens for fun mini-golf.
You don't get DME at the Dolphin though, so there is an addtl cost. If you have your own car, you do pay daily parking at the S/D. And there is no Disney dining plan available. But, pretty much everything else is the same.
Go, and have fun. I'll bet you love it there!!!

We have stayed at the Swan and Dolphin many times and just love them both! I really dont feell like I'm missing anything "Disney" when Im there, but that may be because I have grown to associate them with being in WDW.

I'd give it a shot and see how you feel about it...and save the money! :thumbsup2

If you are looking to save some extra $$$, staying at the S/D is the way to go. But----how are you getting to the cruise terminal? How are you getting to the hotel? If you are renting a car, there will be the extra added price per day for the car, tolls for the trip to Pt.Canaveral and parking at the port. In the long run, it might not be cost effective to stay there if the extra added essentials makes it more expensive than the BW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter