Dolphin Hotel Stay - Mixed Review

disneystacy

DIS Veteran
We just arrived home from our trip to Disney World. We stayed at the Dolphin Resort. Let me start out by saying that the hotel itself is beautiful and heavenly beds are very nice, but thats about all that was good on our trip to this hotel. I'll explain.... My parents and I each booked this hotel in Nov for our trip in May at a AAA rate of 147.50 + taxes and resort 10.00 fee. 5 days before our trip I called Starwood to use my starwood points to upgrade my parents and myself to conceirge level (they require you do this 5 days before) The woman I spoke with hardly spoke english and I had to repeat myself several times. At the end of the call she said we were upgraded and everything was fine. 2 days before leaving I called again, just to confirm. Thank goodness I did. They has cancelled my mothers reservation and changed my rate to 385.00 a night. I was on the phone with the starwood people for almost 1 hour , being put on hold. Finally they told me to call the Dolphin direct to see if they could fix my problem. Called the Dolphin, after speaking to 2 people and getting VERY UPSET they honored the original AAA rate and reversed my parents cancelled room. I should also say the upgrade was a surprise for my Dad's 60th birthday. When we arrived at the Dolphin they had my reservation, but my mothers was still cancelled (we later found out it was under the wrong spelling) My reservation was correct except it was billed for the 4 nights separately. So every morning I had to go down to the lobby and check out and check in again staying in the same room. 2 times my room keys did not work. As for staying conceige level at this hotel SAVE YOUR MONEY!!! If I had paid for this I would have been pissed. The lounge is only open from 7-10 am and 5-8 pm. It was good for breakfast, but if you wanted a snack in the early afternoon it was closed and we would leave to eat dinner it was still closed and after we would arrive back at the hotel in the evening at about 8:30 it was closed. Turn down service is suppose to be included it was never done. They have a lagoon were they have NON motorized boats, they charge 13.00 for 1/2 hour. (I stayed at CBR and non motoriized was free to guests) Floats to use at the pool were way overpriced. The hotel is beautiful but I will never stay again. We stayed the last 2 nights in Universals Royal Pacific in a standard room and had a great time. No issues. By the way, they really didn't apologize at the Dolphin, just made excuses that it was someone elses fault.

It sounds like all the problems that people are reporting with the Disney-owned hotels lately may be rubbing off on the S/D. Let's hope not. I agree that the Universal hotels are top-notch.

I too, LOVE the LOEWS properties (PBH)! But, I've never experienced anywhere near the problems you and your family endured at the Dolphin. So sorry for the inferior service and visit. Hopefully, you will return to the RPH and enjoy your next visit to Orlando! ::yes::

I sent a email to Starwood Corporate about my experience at this hotel. Lets see if I get a response. I'll update

That is awful! Did you speak to the manager? When we had problems, we spoke to the manager directly and things got fixed rather quickly!

We had an awful experience at PBH, so all hotels have their problems.

Sorry you had such a hard time. Its so frustrating when things like that happen when we're on vacation

I was under the impression that Starwood Hotels had a "No Excuses" policy. Have they done away with that?

When I called to check on my reservation 2 days before I was given the managers direct line and it was a voice mail. Because it was a Sat I didn't want to take any chances and spoke to someone at the reservation desk. When we arrived at the Dolphin I did get to speak to the manager after explaining my story to several CM's first. She really showed no emotion, I felt like they thought I was trying to pull a fast one on them to be honest. If I were them I would be falling all over myself apologizing. Also I forgot to add on my bill they had also charged me for using the mini bar (I didn't even have a key) I had to get that removed.

I'm totally shocked, so sorry you had such a bad experience even after dealing with a manager. Did you ask for one right away??

I really am surprised they didn't take care of everything. It is so unlike them.

We had a problem with our A/C our last visit (and we were in a studio room at the Swan that had 2 A/C systems). THEY were so on it!! They were going to move us if we wanted because they couldn't fix it the same day. We didn't really want to move. The manager left us comps for breakfast at Fresh! Just because of the inconvenience.

I just find it so hard to believe they gave you such attitude and they didn't help at all even after you consulted a manager?? Did you have all of your original info in writing (or a printed reservation)?? to show and did you show it to them??

I've on occasion had things on my bill that shouldn't have been there (phone calls, wet bar stuff, etc), but never had a problem having them removed. (this has also happened at WDW resorts as well).

I'm not trying to defend them but we've stayed at both the S/D SO MANY TIMES and we've had our share of some things that went wrong but they were ALWAYS taken care of extremely efficiently (and in a friendly manner).

I have my original reservation confirmation that was sent to me as well as my printout of points from starwood that I used, as well as the 385.00 charge to my credit card, as well as the reservation I was billed for because they changed my mothers last name. I still haven't heard from Starwood since I emailed them. They didn't offer me a stinkweed during my stay for this mess. I wasen't even looking for anything, I just wanted it fixed.

FRiends also had less then a stellar stay and they stayed on my reccomendation.:eek: .

When they arrive they found used golf tees in the "made" bed and the safe literally ripped out of the wall. They got their room changed. Then they did a generator test at night without warning which was a major problem for them because her DH is on a CPAP machine at night for sleep apnea! So they had to run extention cords to their room in the middle of the night. I know the city required the test but you would think they could have left a message on the phones house wide.

They were comped 50$ off their bill. IMHO it should have been a free night.
They did love the location, the clean room when they were switched and all the restaurants.

I received a email from Starwood this morning. They apologized for my atay and said they were looking into the matter. They will contact me again in 10 days. Keep you updated.

What a drag to have to check in each morning! Well, we've never stayed at either the Swan or Dolphin and probably won't ever. I work in the customer service industry and would have been all over this trying to correct the problems. I'm sorry but when I call WDW travel and get someone who speaks little or bad english I never feel confident that they got it right. I always call back to check on it and make sure it was done right. Twice it was wrong and I had to re-book either rooms or reservations. When you're spending that kind of money on a vacation you really don't need the hassle or worrying about your reservation getting messed up!! Hopefully you enjoyed the rest of your trip:smooth:

We too had a bad experience at the dolphin...and we wont stay there again...as you said beautiful soo pretty...but not worth it at all....we got stuck there because we like to book close to our departure date...and it was awful we tried to make the best of it but we really couldnt....problems checking in and with our rooms....yes close to epcot but still not even worth the trouble and stress

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter