Dolphin first choice

Briarrosegold

Disney Bride
Hiya

We're booked to stay at the Dolphin through a first choice package.

Has anybody done this?

Did you have to pay the resort fee?

I've just spoken to first choice and they didn't know

Can you phone the Dolphin and ask them? You are probably going to get more accurate info from them than from FC. Usually with resort fees you pay them on arrival. I don't know how Dolphin works with this though. Do you know what the fees are?

Not much help, but First Choice really should know.
When we used Virgin Holidays, we didn't have to pay the resort fee staying at Radisson Celebration, but DID at the Hyatt Regency. Both of which we knew before hand :)

:goodvibes

Usually with resort fees you pay them on arrival. I don't know how Dolphin works with this though. Do you know what the fees are?

The times I've stayed at the Swan/Dolphin the resort fee was just stuck like any other expense on the room bill which we paid on departure day. This was always booked as a room only though - I've never booked through a tour operator so no idea how that would work :confused3

Think the fee is like $10 a day (last I looked, been a while) which give you room internet access, a USA Today paper each morning, access to the gym too I think. Seems a bit pants that First Choice don't know - rather than contacting the Dolphin (who quite possibly won't know either unless you get a manager who is privvy with what deal is struck with the tour operators in the UK) I'd ask First Choice to do their jobs and if they don't know, then they should find out!

With Virgin Holidays we have already paid the resort fee for when we stay at AKL next October, it is on the breakdown of our invoice

Seems a bit pants that First Choice don't know - rather than contacting the Dolphin (who quite possibly won't know either unless you get a manager who is privvy with what deal is struck with the tour operators in the UK) I'd ask First Choice to do their jobs and if they don't know, then they should find out!

Those were my sentiments exactly. Then, on reflection, I thought that if they don't know, and don't bother to put the client on hold to GO AND FIND OUT for goodness sake!! .... then I would be a little reluctant to trust the information they do eventually give me as being accurate. That is the exact reason why I posted a recommendation to contact the hotel directly. It's not much help but seriously, Tour Operators are having to work a little harder in the current economic climate. You would THINK :rolleyes1 they would be falling over themselves trying to be two steps ahead of the competition, but clearly not

I would phone the Dolphin. At least then you know. :)

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Resort Service Package is a mandatory package that costs $10 per day plus 6.5% tax. It includes the following:[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
-In room High-Speed Internet Access, with the option to upgrade to a faster service for $4.95
-Unlimited local, toll-free and credit card access calls, up to 60 minutes; 10 cents a minute thereafter
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-[/FONT]20 minutes of domestic long distance per day
-Unlimited access to the Resort's health club facilities[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
-
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 bottles of WDW Swan and Dolphin Resort water daily (provided in the room)

There is also a parking charge at the Dolphin - $9 plus tax per day
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Thanks so much for all of the replies.

I know what you mean about First Choice should know - but tbh I think they are so unsure about everything i cant trust them anyway.

Hope the Dolphin works out okay.:goodvibes

The Dolphin is a wonderful hotel in a great location :)

The beds are the most comfortable I've ever slept in.

Takes you a while to find your barings though - the lobby is on the ground floor at the front and the 3rd at the rear (or is that the other way round?).

Goofyish is right. The lobby is actually on the 3rd floor but if you enter the hotel from the front (where the buses drop you off) you enter straight onto the lobby floor. If you enter from the back (from the boats/boardwalk) then you come in on the ground floor and therefore have to go up to get to the lobby!

The beds are fantastic and by far the best ive ever slept in - anywhere!

The resort fee will be automatically added to your room bill. However when i booked a package with Virgin Holidays on the hotel page is always said included in your room was use of the health facilities. I spoke to reception on check in and advised that i wouldnt be using any of the other parts of the resort fee and they always happily removed it from my booking. The last time i stayed at the Dolphin was about 4 years ago though so things may have changed.

I really don't like resort fees. :) If they are mandatory why not just add them on to the advertised price?

I guess it must be a tax dodge or similar.

I really don't like resort fees. :) If they are mandatory why not just add them on to the advertised price?

I have wondered the same thing. I think it is to do with marketing strategies. It makes the prices look competitive. People often don't add the daily resort fees onto the total cost of the room for the night and look at it as one nightly rate. It is quite common to look at the quoted room rate as a comparatively good one and to see the resort fee as something separate over and above. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I suspect it is all to do with some pshychological tendencies picked up in extensive consumer research. :confused3

I have wondered the same thing. I think it is to do with marketing strategies. It makes the prices look competitive. People often don't add the daily resort fees onto the total cost of the room for the night and look at it as one nightly rate. It is quite common to look at the quoted room rate as a comparatively good one and to see the resort fee as something separate over and above. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I suspect it is all to do with some pshychological tendencies picked up in extensive consumer research. :confused3

Your probably right, though it makes them sound a bit like Ryanair with the extras :lmao:

Although being "sold" seperate to the room it probably attracts normal sales tax (6.5%?) and not the hotel room tax (11%?).

I've always suspected it's possible due to the Swan/Dolphin's very strong association with Conventions and that it's related to that. Business's pay for the room but the guests might pay for the Resort Fee or possibly even a better/different way for the company to be able write off the expense with the tax man as it's a different kind of expenditure.

No idea if it's true but considering it doesn't really make sense to a tourist I'd not be surprised if it was a marketing strategy to entice the businesses/conventions through their doors rather than 'us'.

I guess it must be a tax dodge or similar.

I don't think they are mandatory you can have them removed by request?

I have a number of rooms booked at the Dolphin for family this December and it clearly shows the fee as part of the room price?

I don't think they are mandatory you can have them removed by request?

I have a number of rooms booked at the Dolphin for family this December and it clearly shows the fee as part of the room price?

On the Sheraton site when you go to book it shows the resort charge on a seperate line to the room booking.
The fees are definintely mandatory as above the totals it says.

Limited Time Sale - Fully Prepaid, Cancel Rules Apply No Change Allowed. Prepayment Charged At Time Of Booking. Reservations Arenon-refundable, Non-changable. Mandatory Resort Servicepackage.

Room rate: USD 119.00 USD 476.00
Room rate excludes the following:
Local Resort Tx: USD 7.14 USD 28.56
6.00 % Per Room / Per Night
State Sales Tax: USD 7.74 USD 30.94
6.50 % Per Room / Per Night
Resort Charge: USD 10.00 USD 40.00
USD 10.00 Per Room / Per Night
Estimated total**: USD 143.88 USD 575.50

Quite a lot of hotels in Orlando charge a resort fee. Obviously with some you get more for your money than others. :thumbsup2

On the Sheraton site when you go to book it shows the resort charge on a seperate line to the room booking.
The fees are definintely mandatory as above the totals it says.

Room rate: USD 119.00 USD 476.00
Room rate excludes the following:
Local Resort Tx: USD 7.14 USD 28.56
6.00 % Per Room / Per Night
State Sales Tax: USD 7.74 USD 30.94
6.50 % Per Room / Per Night
Resort Charge: USD 10.00 USD 40.00
USD 10.00 Per Room / Per Night
Estimated total**: USD 143.88 USD 575.50

Quite a lot of hotels in Orlando charge a resort fee. Obviously with some you get more for your money than others. :thumbsup2

That's what I thought too - until I started reading reports of guests having them removed if they wished?

Personally we will be using the facilities, so I just viewed it part and parcel of the room price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter