• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dollar Car Rental - upgrades

JohnnySharp

Mouseketeer
We have always rented a car with Dollar and for next month's trip we have pre-booked a 4 door full size vehicle - usually a 'Dodge Intrepid'.
Last year we received a free upgrade to a 'people carrier' or Chrysler Voyager, even though there are only 3 of us!, this is because no full size vehicles were available at the time.

Does anyone know if this is a common occurrence?

Either vehicle is fine and I will be pleased with either but the wife fancies the 'Voyager...

We always get an upgrade with Dollar at Orlando, although is because we book Economy grade and get an 'upgrade' to Compact. I'm not sure if Dollar has any Economy size cars at MCO, but if they do it can't be many as they never sem to have one available for me. Saves a few dollars each time, and size of car isn't too important as there is just the two of us. Can't help with upgrades from larger cars.

Regards

Rob

Every time we've booked with Dollar we've always had a free upgrade - we've had Convertibles, 2 wheel drive Sportage or I4 when the most we've booked is a compact.

Have booked a full size this year - wonder what we'll get ??

...... just to balance it out, we have never received free upgrades from Dollar or Alamo in Florida - we book an I4.

(Got an upgrade in Canada last year from National! We could even choose which car we wanted! DH thoroughly enjoyed hopping in and out of umpteen cars in Calgary until he chose his fave :rolleyes: .. sorry I digressed )

We're having a car for the first time this year and have booked with Dollar through Virgin and in the small print it does say that if they do not have a car to the size you have ordered you receive a free upgrade. We're having an I4 for 2 adults and 3 children.

We always upgrade this end to an F4. Have never received a free upgrade once in Orlando. We travel with Virgin Holidays and use Dollar.

We've had free upgrades about 50% of the time, with both Alamo and Dollar. We've become a bit fussy in the last couple of years, having had a people carrier in 2000, nothing else is quite as good, especially with 2 small children and their paraphernalia!
Ian

we rarely get upgrades-and I'm an agent!

Probably because we usually get an I4-there must be zillions of them!

Sorry but I don't know what an I4 is!!

You may have gathered even though I'm booking our car hire soon I'm not a driver.

With 3 kids were having a 7 seater people carrier & wouldn't consider anything smaller.

Sue

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

Sorry Disney Owl
an I4 is just short for an intermediate (size) 4 door car-which is probably the commonest type of rental car. It's about the size of the new mondeo.
There's E2's economy 2 door and E4's-well you can work that out. They are the size of chrysler neon's-you often don't get the power windows though.

Alison

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter