Dole Whip

asunutgirl

DIS Veteran
We usually don't pay for extra food on the ship - there seems to be way more than we need without forking over extra money. But we all decided to get the dole whip last week on the Fantasy. (Its been a couple years since we cruised and I don't think it was an option on our last cruise.)

We were all very disappointed. The consistency is strange and it just didn't measure up to the Dole Whip that is in the parks. Another note - hubby and I tried the Dole Whip with rum and that was a mistake. They put the rum in at the bottom of the cup and it doesn't mix well into the Dole Whip. What I ended up at the bottom was all rum and I ended up tossing it.

I will stick with the soft serve from now on. And get my Dole Whip at Disneyland.

We usually don't pay for extra food on the ship - there seems to be way more than we need without forking over extra money. But we all decided to get the dole whip last week on the Fantasy. (Its been a couple years since we cruised and I don't think it was an option on our last cruise.)

We were all very disappointed. The consistency is strange and it just didn't measure up to the Dole Whip that is in the parks. Another note - hubby and I tried the Dole Whip with rum and that was a mistake. They put the rum in at the bottom of the cup and it doesn't mix well into the Dole Whip. What I ended up at the bottom was all rum and I ended up tossing it.

I will stick with the soft serve from now on. And get my Dole Whip at Disneyland.

Must be the same nasty fake Dole Whip they now sell at WDW in the former Dole Whip location across from Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. It was a super hot day (surprise! It seems it's always hot here in FL! LOL) , and I walked up to this little stand mentioned previously like I had many times and paid $5 or $6 for what I THOUGHT would be Dole Whip. One bite and it was :crazy2:. Threw it away. Should have taken it back to get my $ back but there was a line. The REAL Dole Whip is now just to the right of the entrance to the Enchanted Tiki Room, kind of placed between there and Country Bear Jamboree.. THAT is the REAL Dole Whip, folks! :dogdance:

Had a Dole Whip on the Dream over Memorial Day and was really disappointed. I would have loved to have asked for a refund but didn't want to be THAT person.

Must be the same nasty fake Dole Whip they now sell at WDW in the former Dole Whip location across from Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. It was a super hot day (surprise! It seems it's always hot here in FL! LOL) , and I walked up to this little stand mentioned previously like I had many times and paid $5 or $6 for what I THOUGHT would be Dole Whip. One bite and it was :crazy2:. Threw it away. Should have taken it back to get my $ back but there was a line. The REAL Dole Whip is now just to the right of the entrance to the Enchanted Tiki Room, kind of placed between there and Country Bear Jamboree.. THAT is the REAL Dole Whip, folks! :dogdance:

That's not pineapple Dole Whip. The stand across from Swiss Family Treehouse is called Sunshine Tree Terrace. They sell the orange and citrus dole whips. It used to be located next to the Enchanted Tiki Room. Aloha Isle sells the pineapple and is now located next to the Tiki Room. It used to be across from Swiss Family Treehouse. They basically swapped locations.

I totally agree!! Got one with rum on the Magic last month. Drank a few sips and threw it out!!
I also mentioned this on comment card. It’s definitely not the same as the parks!!

Oops-the minority... I liked the dole whip when I had it with rum on the Dream. The CM seemed to pour the rum in the bottom and the top. It was strong! Maybe it was the hot sun or just being on vacation, but I enjoyed mine w/o comparison to the one I usually enjoy at the Poly. Ah well! To each their own!

I believe what you are referring to is a citrus swirl? Do they actually market this as a dole whip?

The Dole Whip on the ships is actual pineapple Dole Whip [when we sailed on Fantasy in December the CM showed me the package so I could check the ingredients due to food allergies]. However, the machine they make it in is not the same as at WDW and it makes the consistency different.

SW

That's not pineapple Dole Whip. The stand across from Swiss Family Treehouse is called Sunshine Tree Terrace. They sell the orange and citrus dole whips. It used to be located next to the Enchanted Tiki Room. Aloha Isle sells the pineapple and is now located next to the Tiki Room. It used to be across from Swiss Family Treehouse. They basically swapped locations.

That's what I said! :sunny:

I believe what you are referring to is a citrus swirl?

Yes, it was called something like that. It was just an odd switcharoo. I mean, you see folks leaving what has always been the Dole Whip place, with those yummy looking swirly cold delights, it's in the same exact place, hawking what LOOKS like the same thing. Hey, it worked on me. I feel for it. Until I tasted it. ICK.

That's what I said! :sunny:

Yes, it was called something like that. It was just an odd switcharoo. I mean, you see folks leaving what has always been the Dole Whip place, with those yummy looking swirly cold delights, it's in the same exact place, hawking what LOOKS like the same thing. Hey, it worked on me. I feel for it. Until I tasted it. ICK.

They had to close the old dole whip stand during a refurbishment and moved the dole whip to its current location (where citrus swirl once was), then they just never moved it back. Sorry it confused you. I too like dole whip more than citrus swirl!

Oops-the minority... I liked the dole whip when I had it with rum on the Dream. The CM seemed to pour the rum in the bottom and the top. It was strong! Maybe it was the hot sun or just being on vacation, but I enjoyed mine w/o comparison to the one I usually enjoy at the Poly. Ah well! To each their own!
You're not alone. DH and I loved it. Strong, tho!

Dole Whip - Yea or Nay? Definite Nay! I think Dole Whip is like Cilantro that tastes soapy to some people. My husband and I both spit out our first taste of DW and threw out the rest. Should have asked for a refund. It had the worst chemical plastic taste ever! Definitely falls into that strange Cilantro category. Glad some of your can really enjoy it but for the rest of us its a PASS.

Had a few of those on the Wonder recently and loved them! I added spiced rum to mine and also thought it was very good. Yes, the rum doesn't blend with the dole whip. You have to mix it in. As with any alcohol, the drink will thaw much faster, but I found it very tasty.

I think Dole Whip is like Cilantro that tastes soapy to some people.

Well crap. Cilantro makes me sick as a dog, and I was hoping to sneak off and try a "real" Dole Whip while we were in Orlando next summer. (and yes, I know you're making a very good analogy, I'm just hoping it doesn't taste plasticky to me too!)

Well crap. Cilantro makes me sick as a dog, and I was hoping to sneak off and try a "real" Dole Whip while we were in Orlando next summer. (and yes, I know you're making a very good analogy, I'm just hoping it doesn't taste plasticky to me too!)
I can't stand cilantro. It doesn't make me sick, but it ruins the meal and the nasty soapy taste stays with me for a long time. I don't have a problem with Dole Whip, other than not having enough. There is no plastic-y taste for me. If you are going to sneak off at WDW for one, try Captain Cooks at the Polynesian Resort. They have a self serve machine.

If you are going to sneak off at WDW for one, try Captain Cooks at the Polynesian Resort. They have a self serve machine.

Thanks, we're staying at Universal so the closest I'm going to get to Disney property is Disney Springs. I looked into dinner at one of the resorts as we will have a car, but I can't justify the cost.

Thanks, we're staying at Universal so the closest I'm going to get to Disney property is Disney Springs. I looked into dinner at one of the resorts as we will have a car, but I can't justify the cost.
My thoughts were that going to Captain Cooks would avoid paying for a park entrance. Self park, brief walk, Dole Whip. Given a choice between Captain Cooks (quick service) and a restaurant at Disney Springs, I would go for Disney Springs too. (Art Smiths - YUM!) I wonder if there is a place to get Dole Whip at Disney Springs...

If you want a real Dole Whip without having to go to WDW, just go to Menchies. It is the not a copy; it is the real thing. It’s possible that it’s a seasonal flavor at some locations. But they’ve always had it at the one near me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter