• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dole Whip Float Question

LiteBrite

DIS Veteran
I had my first Dole Whip Float on my last trip (August 07) after many many trips to WDW without one. I don't know why I never had one, just never got around to it, I guess. However, after reading so many people rhapsodizing about them here on the DIS, I finally made a big point of getting me some sweet Dole Whip lovin'.

I chose the float, pineapple Dole Whip in pineapple juice. The ice cream part was fine - possibly not the angels-descending-from-heaven-to-proclaim-everlasting-joy type experience I had built up in my head, but fine. The pineapple juice it was floating in, however, was the problem.

It was hot. :scared: Not just not-quite-chilled-enough, it wasn't chilled at all! Was that how it was supposed to be? It totally ruined the whole thing for me.

If someone can tell me that the juice was supposed to be cool, and usually is cool, I'll be willing to give it another chance, but if not, there's no way in the world I'm ever plopping down either good money or a good snack credit for another experience like that!

I had my first Dole Whip Float on my last trip (August 07) after many many trips to WDW without one. I don't know why I never had one, just never got around to it, I guess. However, after reading so many people rhapsodizing about them here on the DIS, I finally made a big point of getting me some sweet Dole Whip lovin'.

I chose the float, pineapple Dole Whip in pineapple juice. The ice cream part was fine - possibly not the angels-descending-from-heaven-to-proclaim-everlasting-joy type experience I had built up in my head, but fine. The pineapple juice it was floating in, however, was the problem.

It was hot. :scared: Not just not-quite-chilled-enough, it wasn't chilled at all! Was that how it was supposed to be? It totally ruined the whole thing for me.

If someone can tell me that the juice was supposed to be cool, and usually is cool, I'll be willing to give it another chance, but if not, there's no way in the world I'm ever plopping down either good money or a good snack credit for another experience like that!

We have always received ours well chilled and very delicious. I love Dole Whips, but I think too many go expecting some Earth moving experience. In all reality it is just really good pineapple flavored ice cream.

:thumbsup2

The float I tried at DLR had cold juice.

Of course, it's not even ice cream, it's just some sort of soft serve conglomeration of pseudo-food ingredients and de-then-re-hydrated pineapple juice, per premiumfoods, their distributor...

Next time I'm just having the juice!

just had a DLR Dole whip this past weekend! i was going to get a float but they ran out of juice since it was the end of the day :( so i got my whip and ate it on line for Nemo Subs to get the literal last voyage of the day before the park closed :D

I had this EXACT same experience during our trip a couple of weeks ago. After reading about them on here, I convinced my whole family to try them while at MK. We all got the floats and the juice was at best room temperature. I didnt know if that was how it was supposed to be or what but it made the whole thing kinda yucky. Glad to know Im not the only one this has happened to!!

Another Dole Whip question (didn't want to make a new thread) Is it very tart? I don't plan on getting the float, just the soft serve stuff. I really do not like tart things, but I do like pineapple. Should I get it swirled with vanilla?

Another Dole Whip question (didn't want to make a new thread) Is it very tart? I don't plan on getting the float, just the soft serve stuff. I really do not like tart things, but I do like pineapple. Should I get it swirled with vanilla?

I didnt think it was tart. It definitely has a unique flavor. Maybe you should try it swirled with vanilla first and then if you like it, try it again later on its own.

I had a float in Dec. and my juice was chilled. My DD loved mine so much, that she stole it from me!!! This year she can get her own!!!!:lmao:

I like Dole Whips, but I like Mickey Bars better.

But that's not why I'm responding to this thread!

LiteBrite - you have the FUNNIEST tags I've seen in a long time!

First time I tried one I also thought it was a bit warm. That was about 2 years ago. I was like, "is this what everybody raves about? Well they can have mine too!" :confused3 ;) have not tried another since. I stick with my pal Mickey, covered in chocolate.

Maybe you and I visited on an "off" day. ;)

This is exactly why I haven't tried them yet. I read a LONG thread about Dole Whips vs. Dole Floats on *cough* that other board, and it seemed that there was some issue with people sometimes getting unchilled juice and it definitely messing up the taste. I figure next time I'm there I'll ask first if the juice is cold and if it is, give it a shot. But if they've just put it in to chill I'll go with my true love thus far, the Dole Whip.

Those who get the float with warm juice it usually happens when they have a high demand on it and they need to get more juice before it had time to chill. Just bring it back and ask for a new one and let themn know the juice is warm not chilled. Some people don't care if the juice is warm and don't complain so it goes out that way. Just like any place if your not happy bring it back for a new one. Don't be afraid to ask your server a question.

I've always been lucky enough to have chilled juice. Warm juice would be icky, and I like PP's suggestion about bringing it back for chilled juice.

If you would llike to try just the Dole Whip this can also be found at Cap't Cook in Polly. Self serve.

I will never forget my DD's description of her first Dole Whip Float. She was 9 at the time. She said, "Mom, it's like a party party: in your mouth! I laughed so hard and then had to try it. I have to say it wasn't what I thought it would be by the Dis raves, but I did fall in love with it enough to get at least one every trip. And yes, the juice has always been chilled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter