Doing things that can be done at home?

We go in June every year and last year we went for 10 days and this year we are going for 9 days. We usually do DS on our arrival night. We also swim every day. We take breaks from the parks every day and the kids swim while we veg out on a lounge chair! We don't do chain resturants at all while we are there. Typically when I travel, I like to experience local fare. Why eat at Cracker Barrel when Apple Barn is right down the street?! (In Pigoen Forge). We've yet to mini golf, though.

I never do Mini-Golf because I just don't enjoy Mini-Golf. DS is going to have things you can't shop at home pretty soon. AMC Dine In Movies is something that a lot of people don't have. Most of the chain restaurants aren't around home, so I'm looking forward to Morimoto Asia for example.

Just my DH & me on vacation. We go once or twice a year; we're not park commandos. We do parks in the morning, swim or nap in the afternoon and relax with a signature dinner most nights. We aren't big on swimming usually, but we stay at the YC & we really enjoy StormAlong Bay. We might see a movie if there is something we want to see. One of these days we'll do mini golf, but we seem to run out of time. We really enjoy movies, mini golf & dining out. We like to do those things wether on vacation or at home.

i am in agreement when at Disney we don't swim we went to water parks once always eat at places special to disney., never a movie Idont want waste my time doing things i can do around home

To each their own, I guess. I never understood the appeal of sitting in a chair around a pool in the blazing sun. But our family actually enjoys the Disney mini golf. That's our idea of "down time".

I've almost mini golfed at Disney. It didn't work out because of a high probability of thunderstorms. I still would really like to do it because I know it will be different that the run of the mill places I've gone to at home. If I were taking a shorter trip, it would not be a priority.

We feel the same way. We will swim while at Disney World but it is not a major focus. Also, we spend little time at the Animal Kingdom because we have an excellent zoo near our house and would rather focus on Disney-exclusive attractions.

To each their own, I guess. I never understood the appeal of sitting in a chair around a pool in the blazing sun. But our family actually enjoys the Disney mini golf. That's our idea of "down time".

Sitting in a chair is NOT swimming. Swimming is getting into the pool and moving around, playing, etc. We usually try to swim if it is not too cold. We don't have the opportunity to swim in pools like those at home. I love the waterparks too, but I am using the slides and pools, not sitting around much. We don't get to waterparks at home either.

Someone mentioned not eating food they can get at home. I can get anything near home that I would eat at Disney, so I don't understand that.

We feel the same way. We will swim while at Disney World but it is not a major focus. Also, we spend little time at the Animal Kingdom because we have an excellent zoo near our house and would rather focus on Disney-exclusive attractions.

We aren't fans of zoos but we go to AK for the rides. It's not a trip to WDW without Dinosaur, Kali and Everest.

But what I notice even more, compared to many contributors here, is that we'll avoid some food we get readily at home. No pizza at table service, that just seems silly to me. We might do burgers at a pl.

Yes. I even have a hard time getting excited about the "exotic" foods at Epcot. The only nationality not readily available near us is Morrocan. We tend to go for more themed places and character meals since we can't get those at home.

Fairy Godmother. They just announced she won't be doing meet & greet in MK anymore.

Hmmmm. That acronym is in common use for something totally different.

Last edited:
Maybe our first few trips we didn't leave the parks, but now we have been there done that so we like to experience new things. We know what we like and enjoy and skip what we don't. We also don't feel like we have to do everything that trip. The more we go the more down time. We have gone mini golfing to all the courses, we have also done a dine in movie.

We didn't swim at all on our last trip. We might do it once on the next one. We get to swim a lot here. I can see where people might want to swim of they don't get to do it much.
We like the meet and greets, rides, and character meals.

Someone mentioned not eating food they can get at home. I can get anything near home that I would eat at Disney, so I don't understand that.
It's not what we can get, but what get readily or frequently.

I can certainly get good fish here in the Boston area. But going out to a seafood restaurant is a rare treat since it's expensive, so I'll order it more in WDW as well (and not just fried fish). Pizza, on the other hand, can be found on every street corner, and tends to be a common item in groups because I'm pescatarian, so meh, why waste time and money on it? Why eat mundane when you can eat exotic?

Depends on the trip really. We love mini putt so we always play but I wish it was a better course, more of the moving bits etc.

We always go to WDW for 2 weeks so we do play mini golf. We swim, go to water parks, hang out ay downtown Disney (er...I mean Disney Springs)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter