Doing the DCP after graduation

leebee

DIS Veteran
My DD graduated from college last spring and is considering the CP for spring 2016; the application says she is eligible to apply if she is within 6 months of college graduation, so this is her last shot. She was accepted before but was unable to attend due to alternate-year offerings in her major; she would have been more than a year behind at school if she'd done the CP. While she is still interested in the CP, she is wondering what life is like for someone on the CP who's already graduated from college. I think she's worried about living with people who are quite a bit younger than she, with whom she might not have a lot in common. Are there options for living with 21+ CPCMs? How do the rules about alcohol work/pertain to older CPCMs? Any help or info that I can pass on to her would be appreciated.

There are 2 options for housing: Alcohol Prohibited (commonly referred to as Wellness) and Alcohol Permitted (commonly referred to as non-Wellness).

CPs under 21 have no choice - they live in Alcohol Prohibited/Wellness housing.

CPs 21+ have a choice between the two options, but they need to be careful, because if they choose Wellness housing and underage people in their apartment are caught drinking, the entire apartment can be punished with termination from the program.

Most people with concerns regarding alcohol try to find preferred roommates ahead of time by using the Facebook groups for the various terms. There are a lot of 'older' CPs, ranging from mid-20s all the way up to people in their 40s, 50s, and up who have returned to college as adults.

I was 24 when I did my program. It was the semester after I had graduated. I found the program to be a great way to segway out of school and back into adult hood (I had already done that once as I had to take some time off school) and found my age brought a lot of maturity to decisions I made.

My biggest advice is that no matter if she is a drinker or not to stick with the 21+ rooms. This will guarantee that she won't get sent home because a roommate has alcohol. If she chooses a Wellness (under 21) room she will get sent home if alcohol is found in the room even though she is 21 because wellness means no alcohol at all not even cooking wine.

She'll find a wide range of ages on the program. I remember there was someone as old as 50 in my semester. The best part about being on the program after you graduate is you can file for an extension or even just go p/t or f/t if working for Disney is the main goal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter