Dogs sniffing for explosives at entrance??

Maistre Gracey

DIS Veteran
We just returned from a trip to WDW.
While entering Epcot through the International Gateway, there was a security person with a dog. It was hard to tell if the security guy was Disney security or a real cop. The uniform didn't resemble either one perfectly.
Anyway, the dog was wearing a badge on his doggie vest. We asked the security guy what the dog was doing, and he said he was "sniffing for explosives"
I asked if this was something new, and he stated it was random. We never saw the dog again during our two week trip.

Thoughts??

MG

We saw the sniffing dog and it's handler at Hollywood Studios last summer checking the entrance area. I guess they do this on some sort of random cycle.

We just returned from a trip to WDW.
While entering Epcot through the International Gateway, there was a security person with a dog. It was hard to tell if the security guy was Disney security or a real cop. The uniform didn't resemble either one perfectly.
Anyway, the dog was wearing a badge on his doggie vest. We asked the security guy what the dog was doing, and he said he was "sniffing for explosives"
I asked if this was something new, and he stated it was random. We never saw the dog again during our two week trip.

Thoughts??

MG

Totally random thing. Disney is not going to spend the $$$ to have these sniffing dogs everywhere.

JUst thinking where these dogs could be put to better use. Always folks on the Restaurant boards complaining about folks coming to eat straight from the parks and "smelling". Might not these dogs be stationed at the Signature restaurants for a pre-entry "B.O." sniff?? If the dog rolls over, you can't get in.

I am offended at the remarks here. Disney can't afford NOT to have bomb sniffing dogs! They should be at every entrance! The cost of them NOt taking EVERY precaution far outweighs the cost of paying for the service of these dogs and law enforcement. I know this is my own opinion here and many of you on these boards live in different parts of the USA but I live in NJ and knew of many families who had loved ones die in 9/11 . In my own family we lost my Uncle and two other Uncles were trapped that day in NY but escaped -forever scarred emotionally.
A prime target is Disney . They should always do their utmost in the security department. People in other parts of the country just forget and don't want to remember. I don't blame you I felt the same way, we want to move on and get on with a normal life. I know I want this too , but it is not realistic. It is what it is now in the world and we must protect ourselves. I watched the movie 102 minutes on 9/11 this year and it all came vividly back . Disney must continue to keep security a priority. They would be a huge emotional target to hit and we all know that as we all on these boards love Disney.
Random dog sniffing is not enough. They have far more to lose if they don't do it. My fellow disney board members please remember and realize we still must be aware of what could happen and demand top security and not complain about it or become indifferent because we forgot about 9/11.
I don't mean to be too serious or a downer but I felt I needed to comment-
----And on that note , let's hope for a better future for our country and more Disney Parks and more countries and restaurants in my beloved Epcot!!!

Before any attempt at bomb sniffing dogs at every entrance, might they not first consider having REAL security searches of the patrons who enter the parks?? Right now, it's functionally useless except to collect pen knives and such that people are too stupid to remove from their pocketbooks in the first place.
A dog at a random park entrance once every two or 3 months will probably accomplish next to nothing.
And calm down--my post was merely a joke that most folks who frequent the restaurant boards would understand. I'm as concerned about securrity as anyone--and right now there really isn't much at WDW. And as Mitros quite accurately points out, Disney isn't about to spend the $$$ on dogs.

It is just security theater.

However, random checking is probably just as good and certainly more efficient than 100% checking.

I am offended at the remarks here. Disney can't afford NOT to have bomb sniffing dogs! They should be at every entrance! The cost of them NOt taking EVERY precaution far outweighs the cost of paying for the service of these dogs and law enforcement. I know this is my own opinion here and many of you on these boards live in different parts of the USA but I live in NJ and knew of many families who had loved ones die in 9/11 . In my own family we lost my Uncle and two other Uncles were trapped that day in NY but escaped -forever scarred emotionally.
A prime target is Disney . They should always do their utmost in the security department. People in other parts of the country just forget and don't want to remember. I don't blame you I felt the same way, we want to move on and get on with a normal life. I know I want this too , but it is not realistic. It is what it is now in the world and we must protect ourselves. I watched the movie 102 minutes on 9/11 this year and it all came vividly back . Disney must continue to keep security a priority. They would be a huge emotional target to hit and we all know that as we all on these boards love Disney.
Random dog sniffing is not enough. They have far more to lose if they don't do it. My fellow disney board members please remember and realize we still must be aware of what could happen and demand top security and not complain about it or become indifferent because we forgot about 9/11.
I don't mean to be too serious or a downer but I felt I needed to comment-
----And on that note , let's hope for a better future for our country and more Disney Parks and more countries and restaurants in my beloved Epcot!!!

Outstanding post Kelly! Far too many people have totally forgotten about 9/11! We are originally from N.J. and also lost friends at the WTC. God bless America! :thumbsup2

we also lived in NJ during 9/11...I saw the smoke from the WTC from my office about 20 miles away...we live in Fl. now and it seems alot of people are forgetting. :confused3 ..to get back to the dogs..we were at AK a few weeks ago and saw the dog with his handler..they were from the Orange County Sherriff's Dept. and he also said it was a random thing..

In August 2007 after arriving by Monorail at Epcot, I saw that there was a dog sniffing for explosives at the other Monorail which was just parked there.

I disagree with the need to have bomb-sniffing dogs at all the theme parks all the time. Even if enough dogs and handlers could be found, the cost far outweighs the benefit and no business in America could afford such an expense unless a $5 security surcharge was added to each ticket for each admission. It's an unreasonable expectation for patrons to expect security perfection in any place that they visit. There are no such guarantees in life.

For those of you who knew of people that perished on 9/11, I'm very sorry. It was a terrible, terrible event. But armed security at the Trade Center entrances wouldn't have prevented the attack.

BobK/Orlando

I disagree with the need to have bomb-sniffing dogs at all the theme parks all the time. Even if enough dogs and handlers could be found, the cost far outweighs the benefit and no business in America could afford such an expense unless a $5 security surcharge was added to each ticket for each admission. It's an unreasonable expectation for patrons to expect security perfection in any place that they visit. There are no such guarantees in life.

For those of you who knew of people that perished on 9/11, I'm very sorry. It was a terrible, terrible event. But armed security at the Trade Center entrances wouldn't have prevented the attack.

BobK/Orlando
Bob, the cost really wouldn't be as high as you think, each park only has 2-3 actual entrances so that would only mean about a dozen dogs and handlers per shift so say 40 overall to be safe. Each team would probably cost about $60,000 +/- so the total cost would only be about $2.4 million which is a drop in the bucket compared to what Disney spends on other things and certainly not the $5.00 per ticket cost you mentioned.

remember sometimes its not Disney that brings the dogs in, the county sheriffs office does random searches, especially during big events. I believe its actually a good idea, it keeps crime down and safety all around. Disney is a big target I am sure for crazy people... better safe than sorry

We were at WDW from 10/22-11/02 and saw the dog(s) on a few different occasions, EPCOT, MK, and DHS.

JUst thinking where these dogs could be put to better use. Always folks on the Restaurant boards complaining about folks coming to eat straight from the parks and "smelling". Might not these dogs be stationed at the Signature restaurants for a pre-entry "B.O." sniff?? If the dog rolls over, you can't get in.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Actually dogs are a great idea

Disney already has a number of highly trained EOD dogs and handlers. They do have a kennel for them too. Most of their work is done at night to ensure the areas are safe prior to guests entering the parks. They also work closely with the Orange COunty Sheriffs office.

The military is sooo short on dogs that they are actually breeding their own down at an Air Force (?) base in Texas. You forget to factor in the cost of the dogs, their care (ie food, vet costs, etc.) not to mention the cost of several years of training. I'm all for tighter security measures, but you have to be realistic also.:)

The military is sooo short on dogs that they are actually breeding their own down at an Air Force (?) base in Texas. You forget to factor in the cost of the dogs, their care (ie food, vet costs, etc.) not to mention the cost of several years of training. I'm all for tighter security measures, but you have to be realistic also.:)

Our police department gave a presentation on their dogs. They said you can't have dogs sniffing people because many dogs are trained to attack the person when they smell bombs/drugs. Some dogs just sit down next to the person with contraband, but some people are DEATHLY afraid of dogs and the scene those people cause is a worse security risk. Dogs are trained to sniff cargo and luggage, not people. And it does cost a FORTUNE to train and care for these dogs.

The dogs are "security theater" as another poster said.

We didn't see dogs when we were at WDW. If the sheriff is doing this randomly then I guess it is better than nothing. I feel they really do need to step up security. My 3 year old twins each had back packs and the security people barely even acknowledged they had bags to look in. All it takes is a few seconds to search the bags.
OTOH, I guess if someone really wants to bring something into the park they will find a way to do it. Sooo sad that the world is like this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter