dogs onboard

Actually, cruising with a service dog is more involved -- there are required documents and such that must be provided in advance. One cannot simply arrive at port with a service dog and expect to be allowed to board, like you would at a hotel on land. Below is from the "Disney Cruise Line Information for Guests with Disabilities" and can be found on the DCL website:

Service Animals

Trained service animals are welcome in most locations onboard Disney Cruise Line ships. We recognize service animals as those that are individually trained to perform tasks for people with disabilities such as guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling wheelchairs, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure or performing other special tasks.

While onboard our ships, all service animals must remain on a leash or in a harness and be under the control of their person or a member of the Guest’s party at all times. The owner is responsible for the feeding, care and maintenance of the animal. Be advised that Disney Cruise Line Crew Members are not permitted to take control of service animals.

Due to the nature of some Port Adventures, service animals may not be permitted. In addition, service animals are not permitted in the pools or wet play areas onboard our ships. In those instances, a member of the Guest’s party must remain with the animal. Also, service animals are not permitted to be left unattended inside the staterooms.

Guests who are traveling with a service animal must obtain the import permits from all countries which require special documents as per the country regulations. Specific information may be obtained by contacting the Department of Agriculture, consulate or embassy of the countries to determine the policies and to obtain the permits needed for each port of call on the sailing itinerary. Completed permits must be sent back to Disney Cruise Line Special Services Department prior to sailing and the originals are to be available from the Guest at all times during travel. Some countries may not allow animals to enter.

Entry requirements may include all or some of the following documents:
Completed up to date vaccination records issued by a licensed veterinarian, blood titer testing results, governmental International Health Certificate (APHIS form 7001) with USDA endorsement, International Standards Organization (ISO) microchip, specific country health certificate, and proof of treatment and freedom from internal & external parasites, as well as any specific country permits and forms such as an EU passport. Please be aware that some of these processes may take weeks or months to complete.

Guests traveling with a service animal should contact Special Services at 407-566-3602 or email specialservices@disneycruise.com as soon as possible for information regarding the availability of Port Adventures with service animals, arranging the relief area and to discuss required documentation.

My biggest concern with having animals on board who are not true "service dogs" would be having a dog on board who's temperament had not been evaluated by a professional and have that animal bite a child. My youngest children are animal lovers and even though I have taught them and reminded them time and time again not to approach any animals and to ask permission from the owner before they pet anyone's animal they still forget once in a while when they are excited because they are children.

I am an advocate for service animals of the trained kind but IMO having a dog in a purse/bag at Cabanas is not necessary. I know that some dogs are for epileptics and bad diabetics therefore they are not assisting in every day activities but I do not believe many if any true service dogs are of the pocket size variety. :scratchin I don't like to think that someone is abusing the system just so they can bring Fido along for the cruise but I am sure it happens. I heard a story about a neighbor who ordered her St Bernard a service dog vest so she didn't have to leave him in the car at Walmart! Sad but true.

I agree. I understand and sympathize that the privacy of those with service dog needs needs to be respected. I even understand service dogs in training. I think the current system is very easy to abuse. Unfortunately, there's nothing Disney or any other business can do about it. Changes needs to be done on a Federal law level.

As the mother of a disabled child with multiple chronic conditions who could benefit from a service dog but who cannot have one because my Husband is allergic to dogs (I am talking anaphylactic, not just sniffles - although sniffles are awful) I would sincerely hope that no one would register a non service-dog and take it on a cruise (or anywhere) just because they didn't want to leave their pooch behind. And if they did, I hope for their sake that they aren't anywhere near us.

Actually, cruising with a service dog is more involved -- there are required documents and such that must be provided in advance. One cannot simply arrive at port with a service dog and expect to be allowed to board, like you would at a hotel on land. Below is from the "Disney Cruise Line Information for Guests with Disabilities" and can be found on the DCL website:

Service Animals

Trained service animals are welcome in most locations onboard Disney Cruise Line ships. We recognize service animals as those that are individually trained to perform tasks for people with disabilities such as guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling wheelchairs, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure or performing other special tasks.

While onboard our ships, all service animals must remain on a leash or in a harness and be under the control of their person or a member of the Guest’s party at all times. The owner is responsible for the feeding, care and maintenance of the animal. Be advised that Disney Cruise Line Crew Members are not permitted to take control of service animals.

Due to the nature of some Port Adventures, service animals may not be permitted. In addition, service animals are not permitted in the pools or wet play areas onboard our ships. In those instances, a member of the Guest’s party must remain with the animal. Also, service animals are not permitted to be left unattended inside the staterooms.

Guests who are traveling with a service animal must obtain the import permits from all countries which require special documents as per the country regulations. Specific information may be obtained by contacting the Department of Agriculture, consulate or embassy of the countries to determine the policies and to obtain the permits needed for each port of call on the sailing itinerary. Completed permits must be sent back to Disney Cruise Line Special Services Department prior to sailing and the originals are to be available from the Guest at all times during travel. Some countries may not allow animals to enter.

Entry requirements may include all or some of the following documents:
Completed up to date vaccination records issued by a licensed veterinarian, blood titer testing results, governmental International Health Certificate (APHIS form 7001) with USDA endorsement, International Standards Organization (ISO) microchip, specific country health certificate, and proof of treatment and freedom from internal & external parasites, as well as any specific country permits and forms such as an EU passport. Please be aware that some of these processes may take weeks or months to complete.

Guests traveling with a service animal should contact Special Services at 407-566-3602 or email specialservices@disneycruise.com as soon as possible for information regarding the availability of Port Adventures with service animals, arranging the relief area and to discuss required documentation.

this is regarding port adventures (touring in a foreign country.) I doubt DCL will require anything additional if the service animal does not leave the ship. Could be wrong, as the ships are registered in the Bahamas, not the US. (There's also places like Hawaii - which is a US state but being a series of islands, they have specific requirements regarding the entry of animals).

My biggest concern with having animals on board who are not true "service dogs" would be having a dog on board who's temperament had not been evaluated by a professional and have that animal bite a child. ...

I am an advocate for service animals of the trained kind but IMO having a dog in a purse/bag at Cabanas is not necessary. I know that some dogs are for epileptics and bad diabetics therefore they are not assisting in every day activities but I do not believe many if any true service dogs are of the pocket size variety.

A "true" service dog is a dog that does a service to a person.

We are all used to the "seeing eye dog" vests and "working dog" vests, but there is absolutely no requirement that a service animal wear one of those or qualify in any way, other than doing a service for a person.

As for seizure and blood sugar sensing dogs...they aren't assisting in every day activities? They are assisting in LIFE. They are sensing things *that could kill the person* before the person knows those things are about to happen. Driving around St Maarten in a rental car and you're about to have a seizure; your dog can sense that, alert you, and you can pull that car over to keep yourself (and everyone around you) safe. You're at Windjammer and just had juice that you didn't know was sweetened with HFCS and your blood sugar is starting to spike frighteningly (I use that sweetener because it's terrifying how fast DH's blood sugar goes and how high it goes when he ingests HFCS), the dog can alert. (of course, the best DH can do is get some protein down and go lie down). Or your blood sugar is crashing while your'e about to go swim...your dog can alert you and you can quickly have some carbs.

Those service dogs keep people alive in very basic ways. And I would WANT a dog like that to be small enough to stay *close* to me.

As for biting, honestly, ANY dog can bite. Heck, any human can bite.

There is no such thing as an official service dog registration.

The ADA is specific in that a business cannot require or ask for any documentation or registration of an animal being declared a service animal. (ADA also restricts the type of animal it is meant to cover as a service animal: it is limited to dogs and miniature horses. No cats, rats, snakes, hamsters, pigs or ferrets.)

The only thing a business can do is ask two questions: 1) Is this dog a service dog? and 2) What task is the dog trained to perform?

Emotional support and companion animals do not fall under the ADA definition because they are not trained to perform a task. In the case of these animals, the owner requires only their presence; they don't need the animal to perform a task. Saying "My dog is trained to keep people a certain distance from me" or "My dog is trained to detect differences in body chemistry" or "My dog is trained to assist me in keeping my balance" will qualify your dog as a service dog; saying "Having the dog with me keeps me calm" will not.

Business (like DCL apparently does) can allow emotional support or companion animals if they want to. Because they aren't covered by ADA they can also request documentation, but as far as I know there is no requirement to pay for such documentation. A doctor's prescription or note is usually OK. Some states have laws that allow the presence of companion or emotional support animals in housing that would not otherwise allow pets, but they don't allow the animal to accompany its owner everywhere (such as into food service areas).

There are outfits online that will send you a "service dog certification" and a vest or special patch or leash, but none of those things are required for a service animal to be designated a service animal. And these items will be sold to anyone who states their animal is a service animal, no proof required. Service animals are not required to wear vests, patches, or have documentation regarding their training or status.

When taking excursions in foreign countries, they're usually done by private companies in those countries which are not bound by ADA. Not sure if a service dog owner will be unilaterally able to take their animal on all foreign shore excursions.

So long as the owner can describe a task the animal is trained to perform, there is nothing the buisiness can do unless the animal becomes disruptive or dangerous. The animal must be permitted to accompany its owner anywhere at the place of business.

There is a case ongoing somewhere regarding a disabled child who brings a service dog to school. The law indicates that while the owner may bring the service dog anywhere with them, the owner also has the responsibility to provide care for the animal. The child is incapable of caring for the animal himself, so the mother is required to accompany him to school in order to make sure his dog gets walked and fed. She is suing the school district in order to force the school to provide one or more school employees to care for her son's service dog. Will be interesting to see how that one comes out.

Your whole post was great, thank you.

Service dogs are usually highly trained and the best behaved dogs around.

But they aren't necessarily. Not all working dogs are trained from 8 weeks old to do a task. Some are just good at it (like the ones that can detect impending seizures). One hopes that the owner has put the dog in obedience classes, but it's not a requirement.

People who buy their way into bringing their pets along (not talking about dogs who perform a service) are creating their own karma. If a person lies and lives a deceit then that's what their lives will be: lies & deceit. ;)

I've seen the service dog facilities on the Magic. Fascinating! They had a baby pool of water and a tray of grass on the deck 4 forward mechanical area. We thought it was neat that they also thought to provide a spot to cool off, too.

As for seizure and blood sugar sensing dogs...they aren't assisting in every day activities? They are assisting in LIFE. They are sensing things *that could kill the person* before the person knows those things are about to happen. Driving around St Maarten in a rental car and you're about to have a seizure; your dog can sense that, alert you, and you can pull that car over to keep yourself (and everyone around you) safe. You're at Windjammer and just had juice that you didn't know was sweetened with HFCS and your blood sugar is starting to spike frighteningly (I use that sweetener because it's terrifying how fast DH's blood sugar goes and how high it goes when he ingests HFCS), the dog can alert. (of course, the best DH can do is get some protein down and go lie down). Or your blood sugar is crashing while your'e about to go swim...your dog can alert you and you can quickly have some carbs.

Bolding is mine. Sorry to get off topic, but I regularly evaluate people for medical and cognitive competence for driving. The fact that someone requires a dog to warn them before a seizure and/or blood sugar event indicated that their conditions is NOT controlled. To my knowledge, and at least in the state that I practice, this would disqualify you from having A.) having a license or B.) you would have to suspend driving until your condition was controlled (6 months with no incidents of seizure or uncontrollable - think pass out/faint- low blood sugar). Until that time that person that requires advanced warning of these events HAVE NO BUSINESS BEHIND THE WHEEL OF A CAR or being in a "high risk" situation.

Sorry, but I digressed from the original topic, back to the topic on hand.:)

A "true" service dog is a dog that does a service to a person.

We are all used to the "seeing eye dog" vests and "working dog" vests, but there is absolutely no requirement that a service animal wear one of those or qualify in any way, other than doing a service for a person.

Those service dogs keep people alive in very basic ways. And I would WANT a dog like that to be small enough to stay *close* to me.

As for biting, honestly, ANY dog can bite. Heck, any human can bite.

Wow! Now I can see how easily it is for someone to get flamed! I have been an RN for 20 years and worked in a level 1trauma center so I have had up close and personal contact with seizure and hypo/hyperglycemia trained dogs and completely understand the service they provide. I was speaking more in terms of a lay person not actually being able to see the dog open a door, pull a WC etc and giving the lady in cabanas with the pooch in her purse the benefit of thinking that maybe that dog could be providing her with a legitimate medical/ADL service and not just going for a cruise.

MakiraMarlena said:
this is regarding port adventures (touring in a foreign country.) I doubt DCL will require anything additional if the service animal does not leave the ship. Could be wrong, as the ships are registered in the Bahamas, not the US. (There's also places like Hawaii - which is a US state but being a series of islands, they have specific requirements regarding the entry of animals).

Actually, like if a Passport is required for a specific port stop on the itinerary then all passengers on such cruise are required to board with a Passport even if they do not plan to leave the ship; if a port requires documentation for a service dog then it must be provided to board the ship. Not just for excursions. Foreign countries do have rules restricting animals entering their country, as does the US for those coming from abroad. It has nothing to do with the ship's registry.

There is no such thing as an official service dog registration......

There is a case ongoing somewhere regarding a disabled child who brings a service dog to school. The law indicates that while the owner may bring the service dog anywhere with them, the owner also has the responsibility to provide care for the animal. The child is incapable of caring for the animal himself, so the mother is required to accompany him to school in order to make sure his dog gets walked and fed. She is suing the school district in order to force the school to provide one or more school employees to care for her son's service dog. Will be interesting to see how that one comes out.

Excellent post. I too have been following the case regarding the service dog and mother in the school. Really I'm just curious to see how it turns out.

There's also another case brewing where a child has a service dog who happens to be a pit bull breed or mix of. The school said due to the breed of the dog it was not allowed in the school. Because there's a local ban the courts of the area backed up the school. I believe it is now being fought on a state level. I know in my area, we have a breed ban (whole other topic I don't want to start) that if you have a "working" dog it doesn't matter their breed. Working is used as a catch all for service, therapy and search and rescue types of dogs. Even one of our local police dogs is an American Bulldog. The irony of that is not lost on me.

On the Wonder last Oct. there was a service dog spot set up on the "secret" deck on deck 7. It was a giant grass box and pretty cool. I never saw if we had a service dog on the ship or not?

As for the poster who didn't think pocket or smaller dogs could be true service dogs that is incorrect. When looking for a dog to alert someone to a medical condition such as diabetes or seizures a smaller dog often works best. This is and isn't something you can train a dog for. Personally I think dogs either can be trained to alert or not as far as medical conditions go. Smaller dogs can go more places easier and if they can do the job they get the job. Now if I required or needed a dog for emotional support I'm not sure I'd pick a great dane. LOL. But of course if you are getting your dog through a training place specific to those needs often you don't get to pick the dog, and whatever dog can do the job, again is the dog who gets the job.

Yes the system has its flaws. Yes people abuse the system. In the case of a cruise I'd say it wouldn't be worth the effort to abuse the system. After you answer the questions you can legally be asked, get a health certificate from your vet (these can be expensive, depending on what you need. International ones aren't offered by every vet and so you'll have to search out who does offer those and pay those fees) follow and fill out paperwork with the different ports you are visiting and get all of that together and ready, I'd rather leave Fluffy with a friend or send her on a doggie vacation to the kennel.

As for dogs not needing special paperwork even if they aren't leaving the ship in certain ports is not correct. A dog would need to have any and all needed paperwork as if they were leaving the ship in each port. I know small islands such as Hawaii often have a very long quarantine period because Hawaii has never had a localized case of rabies. So service dogs have to have very specialized paperwork before entering the state. Technically even in the US there are many states that legally require you to have a signed health certificate if your dog (regular pet) is crossing state lines. Even if you're driving on vacation. Do they enforce it? Usually not, but it's on the books. Hawaii does though and it's quite complicated.

When looking for a dog to alert someone to a medical condition such as diabetes or seizures a smaller dog often works best. This is and isn't something you can train a dog for.

My co-worker's wife has a service dog for her diabetes. The dog will alert her if her sugar goes low (often while she's asleep at night). She's also trained to go get glucose tablets for her to take. Low sugar can cause you to go into a coma, so the dog is definitely a lifesaver.

My co-worker's wife has a service dog for her diabetes. The dog will alert her if her sugar goes low (often while she's asleep at night). She's also trained to go get glucose tablets for her to take. Low sugar can cause you to go into a coma, so the dog is definitely a lifesaver.

It will never cease to amaze me about the skill of the diabetes and epileptic trained dogs. I find it fascinating.

A dog I know is trained to alert to the presence of traces of nuts and peanuts to prevent allergic reactions (anaphylaxis). She's a small dog but performs a very important task. Another dog I know is trained to retrieve a phone to his handler should she become debilitated by a specific medical condition and require an ambulance. There are PTSD dogs as well, trained to alert their handler of specific triggers or wake them from nightmares. The list of service dog jobs is long, there are countless invisible disabilities, and we may never know what the dog is there to do.

Caution, video contains war images:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIlPFRsseQ8

Different countries have different service dog registration processes as well. For instance, the first two dogs I mentioned are not official service dogs due to legislation in Canada, where service animals must be trained by registered organisations, and thus do not qualify to travel with their handlers outside of companion animal accommodations (i.e. they are not allowed in food establishments), but official service animals with these duties exist. These two dogs could be registered as service animals in America, where different legislation exists and privately trained dogs can be certified as service animals. Sadly, the wait for a service animal to be trained by the registered organisations for these tasks is long and complicated and so those two dogs were trained privately.

It sounds like the system anywhere can be abused but hopefully most service dogs are there for a legitimate reason.

One of the byproducts of the US law is that it is extraordinarily easy for a pet owner to pass off their beloved pet as a service dog and thus take the animal anywhere (including having it fly free in the cabin of an airplane). There's a lot of talk about the abuse of the law. One thing that was done was to have the definition of service animal narrowed in ADA to dogs and miniature horses, which are the animals most commonly trained to perform a task to assist with a disability or medical condition. There were stories circulating before that about whether ADA required businesses to admit service cats, rats, lizards, snakes, pigs and monkeys.

So long as the owner can describe a task the animal performs to assist them, it's in. And as noted the "service animal certification" and vests/patches are available to anyone. There's a lot of controversy about the perceived proliferation of pets posing as service dogs, including a TV show host who allegedly bought a service vest for his pet dog so it could fly free. I don't see them changing the law any though.

Some states actually do have a criminal penalty (I think it's a felony in at least one state) for passing your pet off as a service animal, but they have to catch you first. Only way that happens is if someone turns you in or the pet misbehaves.

Service dogs come in all shapes and sizes. Not everyone needs or wants a medium to large dog for their service needs.

One of the byproducts of the US law is that it is extraordinarily easy for a pet owner to pass off their beloved pet as a service dog and thus take the animal anywhere (including having it fly free in the cabin of an airplane). There's a lot of talk about the abuse of the law. One thing that was done was to have the definition of service animal narrowed in ADA to dogs and miniature horses, which are the animals most commonly trained to perform a task to assist with a disability or medical condition. There were stories circulating before that about whether ADA required businesses to admit service cats, rats, lizards, snakes, pigs and monkeys. So long as the owner can describe a task the animal performs to assist them, it's in. And as noted the "service animal certification" and vests/patches are available to anyone. There's a lot of controversy about the perceived proliferation of pets posing as service dogs, including a TV show host who allegedly bought a service vest for his pet dog so it could fly free. I don't see them changing the law any though. Some states actually do have a criminal penalty (I think it's a felony in at least one state) for passing your pet off as a service animal, but they have to catch you first. Only way that happens is if someone turns you in or the pet misbehaves.

Seriously? A service snake? Or lizard? Was that a joke? Pigs, rats, cats and monkeys are just as smart as dogs, but the others?

We are cruising along with Disney with my daughter’s service dog this September. For the Disney part of the trip is easy and straightforward. Just use commonsense. The cruising is a different story. We have been working with Disney Special Services and an amazing travel agent that travels with his Service Dog regularly. Taking them onboard is not as easy as “buying a $70 registration and a vest”. My daughter’ dog is a seizure alert dog. My daughter is severely disabled and cannot walk or talk. Her Chloe is a small bison-poodle who weighs in at a whopping 8 pounds. Chloe rides in her lap at all times and sleeps most of the time unless she alerts. Chloe was never formally trained. She actually also has epilepsy, controlled be meds, so my daughter’s neurologist wonders if that is why she alerts to Haylee. We have had a letter from my daughter’s neurologist stating that her dog is necessary and she does have a vest.
For her to cruise it costs extra time and money so I wouldn’t think someone would just want to do it to have a family dog with them. Chloe has a microchip but will be getting a different type because there is a certain international one required for international travel. (Which a cruise is) then they have to have certain shots and tests depending on where you are porting (regardless of if you plan to disembark.) Then you have to go through each of the countries and get a special permit for the dog to enter their country, like I said it doesn’t matter if you are staying aboard. They have to have a certain type of health certificate within a certain number of days of porting and then it has to be USDA stamped so for us that means a vet apt in the morning then an hour drive to Richmond for the USDA certification.
With the whole process I can’t imagine someone just wanting to do it to bring their dog.

47a4d935b3127cc525049ff6505000000018000AaOG7do5cMmwPbz4W

As for dogs not needing special paperwork even if they aren't leaving the ship in certain ports is not correct. A dog would need to have any and all needed paperwork as if they were leaving the ship in each port. I know small islands such as Hawaii often have a very long quarantine period because Hawaii has never had a localized case of rabies. So service dogs have to have very specialized paperwork before entering the state. Technically even in the US there are many states that legally require you to have a signed health certificate if your dog (regular pet) is crossing state lines. Even if you're driving on vacation. Do they enforce it? Usually not, but it's on the books. Hawaii does though and it's quite complicated.

You are correct! We are from Hawaii and have brought animals back and forth between my sisters and I. They require a special set of blood tests. It takes several months to get this taken care of. Also shots have to be done in certain timing. It's quite a process being a rabies free island but better than keeping them in quarantine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter