dogs onboard

renesmom

Mouseketeer
Has anyone seen dogs onboard before? Where do they go potty?

Just got off the Dream and there was a lady with a little poodle. She carried it around in a carrier and the little dog never made a sound but I was totally shocked the first day I saw it at Cabanas.

Only Service Dogs are allowed. Disney sets up a place for the dog to be taken to relieve itself.

Service Dogs and qualified companion dogs are allowed on board. They have a small "yard box" that is set up for the dog to use to relieve itself.

There was a beautiful service dog on the Dream 2 weeks ago. A golden. Great temperament. With all the commotion up on deck it does a fantastic job.

last week on the Dream I saw a place on deck 4 next to the walking track that was set up for the dogs on board

My grandson's diabetic service dog, a British lab, was on the Magic with us in early February.

Has anyone seen dogs onboard before? Where do they go potty?

Just got off the Dream and there was a lady with a little poodle. She carried it around in a carrier and the little dog never made a sound but I was totally shocked the first day I saw it at Cabanas.

For those people with a verandah, they set up a kiddie pool with sand/kitty litter (sometimes with artificial grass :)) on their verandahs. For those without a verandah, there is a service animal box located on deck.

This was on our WBTA cruise
2djw1w1.jpg

2ezr90z.jpg

It's $70.00 to register any dog for any reason online as a service dog. My friend has taken his 200 pound Great Dane "emotional support" service dog with him on 30 + cruises including disney.

It's $70.00 to register any dog for any reason online as a service dog. My friend has taken his 200 pound Great Dane "emotional support" service dog with him on 30 + cruises including disney.
All I can say about that is I hope at least the dog is well behaved...

All I can say about that is I hope at least the dog is well behaved...

Service dogs are usually highly trained and the best behaved dogs around. After all they are working dogs and have an important job to do. Unfortunately I've heard of people belonging their family dog along and calling it a service dog. Does Disney have any way of verifying if a dog is truly a service dog and which are simply dogs their owners won't leave behind?

Service dogs are usually highly trained and the best behaved dogs around. After all they are working dogs and have an important job to do. Unfortunately I've heard of people belonging their family dog along and calling it a service dog. Does Disney have any way of verifying if a dog is truly a service dog and which are simply dogs their owners won't leave behind?

Agreed. True service dogs, regardless of the role they serve to their human, are highly trained animals, often times from puppyhood. They are assessed for temperament and the potential to be a service dog before they are enrolled into an extensive training program, which they must pass before being officially certified as a service dog. Part of their training is to remain calm, unobstructed, and virtually invisible until they are called upon to perform a task. They behave far better than humans do, including adults.

From what I've read, Federal law defines service animals has to perform a physical function. http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm Companies may ask what task the service animal performs, but may not ask about the handler's disabilities or require documentation for the animal.

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

That's the concern - "emotional support" seems to be the clue here. Basically, pay $70 and you don't need to leave fluffy at home it seems...

It's the same as those who are able to book HA rooms. Anyone can book them without having to demonstrate any need...

I was specifically talking about the post below.

Wow I had no idea that you could just pay to register your dog as a "service dog". My cousin had MD and had a service dog for the last year of his life and Paige (the dog) was present at his wake and funeral. She was a beautiful well behave animal and I was very sad for her too when my cousin passed as she was very attached to him.

My biggest concern with having animals on board who are not true "service dogs" would be having a dog on board who's temperament had not been evaluated by a professional and have that animal bite a child. My youngest children are animal lovers and even though I have taught them and reminded them time and time again not to approach any animals and to ask permission from the owner before they pet anyone's animal they still forget once in a while when they are excited because they are children.

I am an advocate for service animals of the trained kind but IMO having a dog in a purse/bag at Cabanas is not necessary. I know that some dogs are for epileptics and bad diabetics therefore they are not assisting in every day activities but I do not believe many if any true service dogs are of the pocket size variety. :scratchin I don't like to think that someone is abusing the system just so they can bring Fido along for the cruise but I am sure it happens. I heard a story about a neighbor who ordered her St Bernard a service dog vest so she didn't have to leave him in the car at Walmart! Sad but true.

There is no such thing as an official service dog registration.

The ADA is specific in that a business cannot require or ask for any documentation or registration of an animal being declared a service animal. (ADA also restricts the type of animal it is meant to cover as a service animal: it is limited to dogs and miniature horses. No cats, rats, snakes, hamsters, pigs or ferrets.)

The only thing a business can do is ask two questions: 1) Is this dog a service dog? and 2) What task is the dog trained to perform?

Emotional support and companion animals do not fall under the ADA definition because they are not trained to perform a task. In the case of these animals, the owner requires only their presence; they don't need the animal to perform a task. Saying "My dog is trained to keep people a certain distance from me" or "My dog is trained to detect differences in body chemistry" or "My dog is trained to assist me in keeping my balance" will qualify your dog as a service dog; saying "Having the dog with me keeps me calm" will not.

Business (like DCL apparently does) can allow emotional support or companion animals if they want to. Because they aren't covered by ADA they can also request documentation, but as far as I know there is no requirement to pay for such documentation. A doctor's prescription or note is usually OK. Some states have laws that allow the presence of companion or emotional support animals in housing that would not otherwise allow pets, but they don't allow the animal to accompany its owner everywhere (such as into food service areas).

There are outfits online that will send you a "service dog certification" and a vest or special patch or leash, but none of those things are required for a service animal to be designated a service animal. And these items will be sold to anyone who states their animal is a service animal, no proof required. Service animals are not required to wear vests, patches, or have documentation regarding their training or status.

When taking excursions in foreign countries, they're usually done by private companies in those countries which are not bound by ADA. Not sure if a service dog owner will be unilaterally able to take their animal on all foreign shore excursions.

Does Disney have any way of verifying if a dog is truly a service dog and which are simply dogs their owners won't leave behind?

So long as the owner can describe a task the animal is trained to perform, there is nothing the buisiness can do unless the animal becomes disruptive or dangerous. The animal must be permitted to accompany its owner anywhere at the place of business.

There is a case ongoing somewhere regarding a disabled child who brings a service dog to school. The law indicates that while the owner may bring the service dog anywhere with them, the owner also has the responsibility to provide care for the animal. The child is incapable of caring for the animal himself, so the mother is required to accompany him to school in order to make sure his dog gets walked and fed. She is suing the school district in order to force the school to provide one or more school employees to care for her son's service dog. Will be interesting to see how that one comes out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter