• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Doggie Dilemma

Thanks for the tip on the Sheraton Safari!! I will definitely take a look at it since the Sheraton World did seem like it was a bit far away. Oh, and to send them an E-mail I just went to the main Disney World webpage and scrolled to the bottom and clicked on "contact us". I think that would be great if everyone else asks for the same thing too. In my opinion the pet industry just keeps growing and I am excited to see more companies get on board.

-Kandis

Have you considered the Universal resorts? They're very pet friendly. :thumbsup2

I too think WDW should designate a wing in one resort in each category as a pet wing. Unfortunately, several people have emailed them & gotten nowhere. I don't see that changing anytime soon either. The Swan & Dolphin are the only 2 Starwood hotels that don't allow pets. I called & asked why. They said they're on WDW property (which I knew), & Disney won't allow them to. :mad: We always stay at the Universal resorts, now that we have Molly. We still like going to WDW, but don't go nearly as often as we did. We went from having APs 4 yrs. in a row, to an occasional day trip. We too like staying on property at whichever park we're visiting, & WDW doesn't make that possible. :guilty:

Does your vet not have any boarding facilities? What about a vet in another town? Seriously, that would be the BEST way to go...what better place for your baby?! I have a dachshund puppy myself and I loathe to be without him, and I was going to take him with me to my wedding which is across the country (NJ to Oregon) but I realize that putting him through that stress would be so unfair. So we got someone who we know loves him and takes very good care of him to puppy sit for two weeks. This is KILLING me, but to take him on a plane, and then have to leave him in a house he doesn't know in his kennel all day just isn't fair, even if I did get to see him every day. He would be confused and not understand why his routine changed so much!

I'll bet your baby would be just fine in at a vet's boarding facility for a few days. Truly...it'll be fine!! You don't want to miss out on the magic of Disney!!!

Like tarheelmjfan said, the Universal resorts accept dogs. We stayed at the Portofino last November because the dogsitter couldn't watch them. The hotel was really dog friendly and we felt comfortable there with the dogs. There were special trails where you could walk your dog. They gave us dog welcome bags. We were on the first floor so it was easy to take the dogs out.

If the Sheraton world is the circular tower one near Universal, I don't recommend it. I know someone who stayed there last fall, and she said there were roaches.

I really wish WDW would have a dog friendly hotel. I think it would be popular.

tarheelmjfan said:
Have you considered the Universal resorts? They're very pet friendly. :thumbsup2

I second staying at the Universal Resorts with your pet. You can even order room service for your dog or cat.

For years we stayed offsite because I would not leave my dog behind. He has sinced passed away, but I do have other dogs, and I get someone to stay in my home with them while we are away.

Do you think you could trust anyone to stay in your home while you are away? Otherwise it would be best to stay offsite.

I could see why disney wouldn't have pets allowed since so many people are in the parks ALL day for very long days! Who is taking care of the dog? That is something that i would wonder about at any hotels in orlando that take pets.

Now other vacation places like at the beach for example I can see having a pet with you since you are not usually out of the room for such long amounts of time.

BTW I am another one with the dog allergies! Well not my but my 6 year old son and he would definatly have to go to the emergancy room if we were put in a room that a pet had been in!

I am another Mom with a daughter with severe allergies to dogs. I truly appreciate the bond between families and their pets, but sneaking a pet into a room that could next be occupied by an unsuspecting vacationer who would then spend their vacation in a hospital is unacceptable! It's difficult enough socially for a child with such allergies since most of their friends have dogs which prevents them from attending birthday parties, sleepovers etc. Please consider your other options. Thanks! :)

No worries anymore! I checked out the website for Sheraton Safari and it is DEFINITELY where I want to stay!! It looks great from the pictures. I'm just hoping the prices get a little lower when it gets near our booking date (01/01/07 - 01/07/07). The fact that it is so close to Downtown Disney is great, and since we won't be at Disney every single day I think it is better that we stay outside WDW.

-Kandis

LisaRay said:
I could see why disney wouldn't have pets allowed since so many people are in the parks ALL day for very long days! Who is taking care of the dog? That is something that i would wonder about at any hotels in orlando that take pets.

Universal has no problem with it. We never stay in the parks all day anyway. We've always gone back to the room for downtime, even before we had her.

When we have taken Bear to other hotels, we usually leave him in the bathroom since there is always tile. If he has an accident we can just wipe it up. At night we keep him in a pop up kennel right next to the bed. He is trained to go on potty pads though, so we don't have to worry about coming back to walk him in the middle of the day. He is very use to travel since he goes to work with me everyday....he even has his own car seat for safety. This dog is like a child to me, and even though it doesn't make sense to some people (my sister for instance), I rarely go anywhere without him, especially not a week long vacation. I will always put him before a WDW resort, because it wouldn't be a vacation without my baby.

-Kandis

hey I feel the same way about Spicey....

some people don't think it is worth it to walk your pet 3 to 4 to 5 times during the day when you stay at Disney. but I do it....

Spicey is getting old and now has problems. So I don't stay onsite like I use too...

there are several nice offsite places that accepts pets - generally for a fee...

all the Universal hotels accepts pets!!!!

but they are too expensive for my taste (I can stay at WDW cheaper because I joined DVC about 13 years ago)

we stay in a timeshare that is on skyauction often - Celebration World Resort. Spicey likes it (oh by the way if you can afford it - he loved and I mean loved Royal Pacific - these people treat pets grand.... after a couple of hours - Spicey was walking around like he owned the place - will have to go back)

here is the website from CWR
www.celebrationworldresort.com

CWR is about 4 miles from the back entance to WDW (this is the road close to AKL)

there is tip on the Orlando board - there is also some houses in the area that accept pets - for less than staying in a WDW resort.

come visit us on the Orlando hotels/attraction board. especially if you want to bring your doggie with you and have him sleep with you.

Spicey will be 21 years old this June - has been going to WDW since he was 3 months old... :thumbsup2

WDW does not allow pets in their resort rooms. They can and do ask people to leave. If they stay they have to move their pets to the kennel and pay a fine (or they use too).

believe me coming back and finding Spicey gone would hurt me more than leaving him in a kennel for a few hours....besides he eats in the kennel...

All of these pet boarding places look nice.....but if you have a very nervous dog, like I do, they will totally freak out in these places. My dog starts shaking, panting, and had diarrhead (TMI) the entire time. I refuse to put him in anymore places like that....I'm seriously scared he will have a heart attack.

He is much calmer in a hotel room by himself (in a crate, of course) while we are gone. He can sense that our stuff is there, and he knows we will be back with him shortly. He never freaks out if we leave him in the hotel alone.....unlike how he reacts to a kennell or boarding facility.

YorkieMommyKandis said:
I also agree with the idea that it would be nice for Disney to open a resort where pets are allowed in all/some of the rooms. I just sent this message off to Disney about it, although I'm not expecting very much...

I would love to be able to take my dog too, having her there would just add to the joy. But realistically, some people can’t even control their kids (and sometime themselves) at WDW and things get trashed, could you imagine some pet owners? I've gone on vacation a few time with people who have brought their dogs... these poor dogs have spent HOURS locked up in a laundry room or bathroom "just in case" for days. uhm.... why bother bringing it?

littleladykaty said:
Does your vet not have any boarding facilities? What about a vet in another town? Seriously, that would be the BEST way to go...what better place for your baby?!
I seriously have to disagree…. I could tell you horror stories about animals boarded with vets. Vet office’s are not set up as boarding facilities, although many do boarding…. Do you REALLY want your baby sitting in a cage all day, every day except for the occasional potty break?

travelgoddess said:
We have 2 black labs that are like our babies, we have no kids. We have an wonderful dogsitter that moves into our home and takes care of them when we travel. They have gotten to know and love her. I don't make any travel plans until I have her all lined up. Good luck in finding someone reliable in your area. We are leaving in 2 days and I miss them already.

This is what we do. We have a golden retriever that is my baby. There is nothing that we wouldn’t do for her. We leave her home with our two cats and our petsitter moves in and takes care of our home and our pets. She is a wonderful petsitter and I can enjoy my vacation knowing that my Fur-baby is being spoiled rotten. The majority of dog's/cats really DON’T like vacations… they like routine. Strange places stress them and cause them to act out of normal behavior. I think the healthiest thing for your pet is to leave them home with a sitter. As a second… a Boarding Daycare center where your pet can get some individual attention and not be locked up all day.

We have boarded our cat and dachshund in the FW kennel. The Cms are great with them and it is very clean and safe. For the dog we did have plan trips to the kennel to walk him. But it was so worth it as he hates staying at home. Cant say enough nice things about the Disney kennel. You do need to bring something from your vet showing that they have had their vaccines including kennel cough.

ChristusG said:
All of these pet boarding places look nice.....but if you have a very nervous dog, like I do, they will totally freak out in these places. My dog starts shaking, panting, and had diarrhead (TMI) the entire time. I refuse to put him in anymore places like that....I'm seriously scared he will have a heart attack.

He is much calmer in a hotel room by himself (in a crate, of course) while we are gone. He can sense that our stuff is there, and he knows we will be back with him shortly. He never freaks out if we leave him in the hotel alone.....unlike how he reacts to a kennell or boarding facility.

bring his stuff to the kennel... I bring a blanket that Spicey has in the car - a few toys...but I think he just considers FW his second home - I mean after 20 years he is definitely use to it..

but yes their are some dogs who get upset - but lots of time it is the owners doing the upsetting....

like not visiting them.... A doggie really gets upset if all his neighors go for a walk or run with their owners and he is just left there....

DO NOT TAKE YOUR PET WITH YOU IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO VISIT THEM...
leave them home with a pet sitter...they will be happier.

bring his blanket, pillow, bed - anything that would kept him calm....doggie generally like to see other doggies - especially in an enviroment where even the littles dog will be safe.

don't worry about his being safe and happy - unless he refuses to eat - then just adjust and don't stay onsite.

as long as he is eating - he is fine!!!

but I mean it about the visits - staying onsite with your pet at a kennel - will take time away from the parks.

Autumngirl said:
I would love to be able to take my dog too, having her there would just add to the joy. But realistically, some people can’t even control their kids (and sometime themselves) at WDW and things get trashed, could you imagine some pet owners? I've gone on vacation a few time with people who have brought their dogs... these poor dogs have spent HOURS locked up in a laundry room or bathroom "just in case" for days. uhm.... why bother bringing it?

As I mentioned earlier, Universal has no problem controlling this issue. Practically, every argument I've read for not allowing pets in hotels has been debunked by Loews hotels. Incidentally, several deluxe hotel chains allow pets.

Most people who travel with their pets treat them more like kids than animals. You won't see too many people bring a dog to a hotel, if they're used to being outdoors most of time. ;)

Molly's used to travelling with us. She does much better in hotels than when we leave her with a sitter to go on cruises. We've left her with the next door neighbor & have even driven her all the way to NC from FL to stay with my sister. All 3 times we came back & she had lost lots of weight. She gets nervous & pulls patches of her hair out. She doesn't eat well & gets an upset stomach. Taking her to a hotel room is just like being at home for her. We won't even consider a kennel for her, because she gets so nervous.

Autumngirl said:
This is what we do. We have a golden retriever that is my baby. There is nothing that we wouldn’t do for her. We leave her home with our two cats and our petsitter moves in and takes care of our home and our pets. She is a wonderful petsitter and I can enjoy my vacation knowing that my Fur-baby is being spoiled rotten. The majority of dog's/cats really DON’T like vacations… they like routine. Strange places stress them and cause them to act out of normal behavior. I think the healthiest thing for your pet is to leave them home with a sitter. As a second… a Boarding Daycare center where your pet can get some individual attention and not be locked up all day.

Prior to our cruise last month, we inquired everywhere looking for a petsitter to stay in our home with her. Unfortunately, everyone doesn't have trustworthy people living near them who are willing to leave their home to stay at yours.

I feel bad leaving my little 7 lb dog in a kennel. She will be very nervous and usually gets Diarhea when she gets nervous. She is a shih Tzu so she will be a mess to clean when we get home. I might see how she does this trip and if it doesn't work out then she will have to come with us to Royal pacific on a future trip. I really like staying on property but for my dogs well being I'd stay elsewhere. Sometimes my mom watches my dog, luckily.

Did everyone forget about Fort Wilderness ????

Buy or rent a RV and take your fur baby with you !!!!

Hollie is going to see the Mouse Dec. 3 - 16.

Come by and visit, she's quite the social butterfly !!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter