• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Doggie Dentist?

stevenpensacola

<font color=red>Sometimes I sits and thinks, and s
so...took our dog to the vet this weekend for annual shots...vet informs is our dog needs to see the "doggie dentist" and have his teeth cleaned...

to the tune of $120! :scared1:

Apparently they have to put them out to do this procedure.

Anyone recommend a brand of dog chews/teeth cleaners we could give to Fido.

$120 is about right. My country vet charges a little less, but not much.

I haven't found anything that will clean Max's teeth adequately besides a good cleaning at the vet.

toothbrush $1, toothpast $1, brush them yourself and save $118.00.

That price was really reasonable. I agree with the toothbrush and doggie toothpaste. They sell them at petco and petsmart. Brush them once a day.

Wow...I am on my 7th and 8th dogs, and I have never had a vet tell me this and I have never had it done for any of my dogs or cats. :confused3

Wow...I am on my 7th and 8th dogs, and I have never had a vet tell me this and I have had it done for any of my dogs. :confused3

Most vets don't mention it, but it's a good idea to get it done. I can't believe you've never heard of it, it's pretty common.

I think 120 is pretty reasonable.

edited to add....by Most Vets I meant Some vets don't mention it...

Wow...I am on my 7th and 8th dogs, and I have never had a vet tell me this and I have never had it done for any of my dogs or cats. :confused3

This is how they pay for their state of the art clinics and machines. They have to find a way to pay for it all. :rotfl:

I brush our dog's teeth several times a week. OK - maybe for real once a week. The toothpaste is chicken-flavored - so my dog is a very willing participant.

The toothpaste from our vet is "enzymatic" so the goal is to get it in her mouth on some of the teeth - try to do a little brushing.

This keeps the tarter down to a dull roar.

If you are not wanting to pay $120 - I would try the teeth brushing first.

(FWIW - our old dog had a major broken tooth...the doggie dentist bill was $1800. It was a "slab" fracture. But - I got a bonus teeth cleaning from the visit too. Dog was good as new - minus the bad tooth.)

We've had to clean our past dog's teeth a lot. We had a Sheltie and Great Dane and had to get them cleaned every year or two. The Great Dane that we have now is 2 and his teeth look pretty good. We give him bully sticks every couple days and he loves them. I think it helps some.

I don't like putting my dog to sleep so she hasn't had dental work since she was a puppy. However, I have gotten great results with Petzlife Oral Gel. Vets have been shocked at how nice her teeth are for being a chihuahua.

I'm guessing Tic Tacs are out of the question...

The doggie breath is a real killer...

The doggie breath is a real killer...

If your dog has bed breath you really need to get them cleaned first...and then start using a toothbrush to keep them clean. The plaque build up will not easily come off. I used to work for a vet so I have seen just how nasty dirty teeth can be with dogs.

Most people look at me like I'm crazy when I suggest this but incorperating RAW bones into your dogs diet will do wonders for his/her teeth.

My 12lb Chinese Crested gets a raw chicken wing (skin removed) once a week. For a larger dog a chicken back might be better. Stella's teeth were pretty bad when we adopted her in December but we are seeing an improvement.

Before anyone screams at me about the dangers of chicken bones for dogs, the key is they must be raw. Cooked bones splinter. A dog can crunch right through raw. I do make sure to always supervise Stella when she's having her wing, just in case.

$120 is dirt cheap in my opinion, I don't think ours has been less then $300, the most was around $600 when she had to have some fillings and a tooth pulled.

I won't put my dogs under anesthesia to get things done like teeth cleaning. My cousins Lab just passed a way a month or so ago after getting teeth cleaned and cysts taken off , which she has had done many times in her 10 years. This time something went wrong.

I have stuff I use for their teeth but other than the stuff I can do, they receive no other special dental care.
BTW, OP your quote was CHEAP!!!!

$120 is dirt cheap in my opinion, I don't think ours has been less then $300, the most was around $600 when she had to have some fillings and a tooth pulled.

I was just about to post these exact same fees :headache:
OP $120 is definitly the lowest I have heard.

I agree with you! Our vet is giving me a discount to do my dogs teeth - around $800 to do both of them. It is very important to have their teeth cleaned, just like it's important to have your own teeth cleaned. It can cause heart problems and all, just like with humans.

My dogs have been lucky and are 4 years old, but it is time to get their first cleaning. Hopefully they will only have to get it every 2-3 years professionally!

For $120, I would be dancing on the table top:lmao:

This seems unnecessary to some people, because they never had to do this with their last few dogs. But, our knowledge constantly evolves.

Dental health ties directly into the overall health of the animal. Gum disease in dogs, like in people, increases the risk of heart failure an other issues.

If your dog has a lot of tartar and plaque buildup, tooth brushing alone won't cut it. They really should have a full dental cleaning under anesthesia. Unlike people, you can't just tell a dog, "open wide" and expect them to do it and hold still. Performing the dentistry under anesthesia is the best way to do a really thorough cleaning.

At the price that was quoted to you, it sounds like a nice routine dental. If you choose to wait, you run the risk of increasing the buildup, and beginning gum disease. I've seen people balk at the price of a routine cleaning, but then a few years down the road, now the dog's teeth are rotting, they might have a tooth root abscess or they need extractions. The price for this will be SIGNIFICANTLY higher.

Once the cleaning is done, tooth brushing is the best option to keep the teeth healthy. You want an enzymatic toothpaste made for dogs. There are other options (a liquid you can squirt onto the teeth or put in water, chews with the enzymes on them) but they are not as effective.

If you are worried about your pet having anesthesia, you can do pre-anesthetic bloodwork. This panel will check the function of the internal organs to make sure they appear to be functioning properly. That said, anesthesia is always a risk, but not addressing dental care ALSO puts your pet at risk.

I won't put my dogs under anesthesia to get things done like teeth cleaning. My cousins Lab just passed a way a month or so ago after getting teeth cleaned and cysts taken off , which she has had done many times in her 10 years. This time something went wrong.

I have stuff I use for their teeth but other than the stuff I can do, they receive no other special dental care.
BTW, OP your quote was CHEAP!!!!

I almost lost my Beagle earlier this year during a cleaning. He got Aspiration Pneumonia. Scary stuff! I had a bad feeling about his cleaning and actually had tears in my eyes as I left him. And let the office manager know I had a bad feeling about this visit.

He ended up on double antibiotics and multiple visits each week to the vet to make sure all of the fluid was out of his lungs.

$120 is super cheap though. Keep in mind that if any teeth need to be removed that it will be more $$ per tooth. And add money for an antibiotic if teeth need to be removed too.

My Beagles have bad teeth. They have had multiple teeth removed. Not cool to have bad genetics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter