Dog with Bladder Cancer

Much has happened since my doggy's unfortunate diagnosis back on August 16th. We had an appointment with a veterinarian specializing in the treatment of TCC of the bladder who performed another ultrasound. The second appointment consisted of a biopsy of the tumor via the urethra which confirmed the suspected cancer. The third appointment consisted of the laser treatment of the bladder tumor which went very well. Fortunatlely the tumor had not reached the ureters. She had the procedure just this week and she is totally back to normal.

My dog did not experience any symptoms when diagnosed and I wanted to keep it that way. I understand that this procedure is not a cure but a way to manage the tumor. In addition she is taking piroxicam and cytotec. I opted to use the commercial 10mg piroxicam even though her dose is only 7.5mg according to her weight. I did not feel confident that the product compounded by the pharmacy would be bioavailable and deliver the dose since the piroxicam drug substance is so insoluble. We had the option of a corn oil based solution or a capsules made with the drug and lactose.

Only time will tell if we made the right decision.

Hi Carolyn (?),

I brought my dog to the Ridgewood Veterinary Hospital. I think this is not too far from you but is quite far from me. Dr. Cerf is the veterinarian's name. He has done over 40 of these procedures and I think he has perfected the process (to the best he can).

The laser treatment is a single treatment (not 3 over 4 weeks as I have read) and the tumor does not grow back faster (as I think your vet told you). The tumor will grow bck and the treatment will have to be performed again. How soon, is the question.

It was a painless procedure and the best shot I thought I had for her.

Barbara

I tried to PM you but was unsuccessful

Hi Barbara, thanks for the information. Did Dr. Cerf say anything about if the laser surgery is still done if the cancer is in the urethra and bladder wall? We are giving her the proxicam, antibiotics, and succrafate, but noticed actually that she seems to have the symptoms of kidney failure with the proxicam. She gets excessive thirst, has no energy, not eating, and vomits. When she is off the proxicam, she seems like her old self. The last couple of days, she has been eating well, running around normally (previously had back leg weakness) and barking playfully again. A couple of days ago, I thought she was going to pass away that day. Maybe it is just part of having the cancer-you have some bad days, some good; but I think it is perhaps the proxicam affecting the kidneys or something else in her.

I wish your doggie well. Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Thr laser will remove any tumor blocking the urethra without a problem...when the tumor blocks the ureters, that is where the probleml lies. At that point the urine is blocked and backs up into kidneys causing failure.

The tumor IS in the bladder wall which is why it will likely grow back despite being on piroxicam, but the disease is variable and every case is different. Some dogs who have had the lasercan live additional years, and my hope is that my dog will die of natural causes (old age) in the future.

Carolyn, I don't think the sucralfate (carafate) may be enough protection for your dog's stomach. The purpose it to coat ulcers so they can heal. You need something to prevent the ulcer. Perhaps you should ask you vet about changing the carafate to cytotec (misoprostol). Also what antibiotic are you using?

Carolyn, since I Iearned of TJ's diagnosis, I have scoured the internet and learned so much and would be happy to share it.

We can discuss off line if you like. PM me with your email address (I no longer have it)

Barbara

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter