• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dog Rescues - If You've Used Them - What Did You Think?

grinningghost

<font color=green>Has a thing for the Swiss Family
My mom is meeting with a Westie rescue lady next week to discuss putting her dog up for adoption with them.

She said the lady made her feel very comfortable that the dog will only go to the right, safe, happy home. What do you think?

Rescue people are pretty adamant about making sure the dogs they get get good homes and good people. In fact, I think they are way too picky too. :)

We had to be pre-approved to adopt this girl:
7518806-M.jpg

We went through Adopt-a-pet.
Mikeeee

Rescue people are pretty adamant about making sure the dogs they get get goood homes and good people. In fact, I think they are way too picky too. :)

I agree.

Our dog is from a rescue, it is amazing the hours I spent on applications and interviews for us to be considered worthy of a dog. :rolleyes: Having a child and a yard that is not fully fenced in were big no-no's for many of them. They do really try to find a good home, but in my opinion some of them have ridiculous criteria. Luckily we finally found one that did not make us trade in our kid for the dog.

Actually, we just got a golden retriever from a rescue yesterday. :) I do have to say though, they are very cautious when choosing a family to adopt a dog. We had to fill out alot of paperwork about our house and family and past pets, etc. and then they do a home inspection and interview as well before you can take the dog. They're very thorough and care deeply about these animals.

Actually, we just got a golden retriever from a rescue yesterday. :) I do have to say though, they are very cautious when choosing a family to adopt a dog. We had to fill out alot of paperwork about our house and family and past pets, etc. and then they do a home inspection and interview as well before you can take the dog. They're very thorough and care deeply about these animals.

That's good because my parents are freaking out about having to give up the dog in the first place (but she really IS too much of a handful for them now) and they are insisting she go somewhere with a fenced yard (she's an escape artist) and with someone who will love her despite her "energetic" personality.:)

DO your research and make sure she is legit. If you check out yahoo groups that are involved with rescues they can usually tell you if the person is legit. It usually gets around fairly quickly if they are. (I'm in central Ohio and there have been 2 cases of animal hoarders recently that claimed to be rescuers and a case of a lady that claimed to be a rescuer but was actually killing the animals!!:mad: :sad1: ) If you PM me her name I can ask in my Aussie and Eskie group if anyone recognizes her or knows how to find out about her.

They also delivered the puppy to us to make sure we were not lying about having a yard and house as apposed to a tiny apartment.

Mikeeee

I've adopted two cockers from rescue groups - the last one being 48 hours ago!

The best rescue places probably will foster the dog for at least a couple of weeks to determine his temperment, level of housebreaking, health, etc.

The dog was delivered to me also to confirm that I really had a yard. I was also told that if he did not work out for ANY reason that they would take him back. (not a chance)

I just have to share his pictures again!

e9f05767.jpg

e9f05765.jpg

e9f05762.jpg

We've worked with rescue groups; as someone else said, just check them out and make sure they're legit. They go the extra mile to make sure the home the dog's placed in is a good match.

We've been foster parents for dogs from rescues, and we definitely did home inspections, etc. For the person complaining that it was difficult to get a dog while having a child and an unfenced yard, believe it or not, those are the 2 biggest reasons dogs are turned over to be killed. And we kill about 5 million a year here in the US, so it's not an unreasonable protective measure. People have a dog, and then, they get a kid. Lo and behold, the dog isn't as cute any more, or maybe they don't have time for it, or maybe they are afraid it might bite the kid, because the kid keeps pulling the dog's ears and stomping on its tail. The other big reason dogs are turned over is because they're "out of control," i.e. no one bothered to train them, and they're not given sufficient exercise. I would definitely think twice before turning over a dog to a family without a yard and with a young child.

Cheers!
Heather W

Funny that you say it's a Westie. A few years ago my neighbor was moving from her home to an apartment. She said she did not have enough time for the dog and her child. Plus it would be too much in the apt. I told her to contact a Westie rescue group. She was just going to take it to the Humane Society. No offense, I like our humane society, but they are not very picky about who they adopt a dog to. At the end of it all the dog got a great home, my neighbor was very happy to know the dog would be well taken care of.
Your parents are doing the right thing.

Lisa

Rescue groups are run by volunteers that care for dogs out of the goodness of their heart - they want nothing more than for a dog to find it's forever home and live happily ever after. Unfortunately, the dogs in rescue weren't that lucky the first time around and they want them to get lucky the 2nd time.

I adopted Lucy, my miniature schnauzer, through rescue and I have the uymost respect for her foster mom. She spends every waking hour that she is not at work with those dogs - in exchange for no money at all. She's a saint.

As long as they are reputable, I would imagine they would be like the rescues I am familiar with and being VERY choosy with the new home and the new owner will sign a contract that states that they are to return the dog to the same rescue if they cannot care for it any longer. This ensures the dog doesn't end up handed off or turned into a shelter down the road.

Hope it works out for them!

Both we and my parents adopted rescue dogs. I echo all of the above sentiments. It sounds like your parents are doing the responsible thing. I hope that soon your mom will feel at ease.

I agree.

Our dog is from a rescue, it is amazing the hours I spent on applications and interviews for us to be considered worthy of a dog. :rolleyes: Having a child and a yard that is not fully fenced in were big no-no's for many of them. They do really try to find a good home, but in my opinion some of them have ridiculous criteria. Luckily we finally found one that did not make us trade in our kid for the dog.

Our Humane Society, which is a KILL shelter, is picky like that too. Their website has this page that goes on and on and on about how overcrowded they are and how they can't possibly take on any more animals. Then on another page, it goes into all the qualifications you have to have to get an animal and it's next to impossible to get one. Don't even get me started on volunteering there. It used to be, they loved to get people of all ages to volunteer, but now they've raised the age limit to 16 -- I've wanted to take my kids there to volunteer for a while, but they won't accept them. Even though DS is 16, they won't let him do community service there, even WITH my supervision. So, cleaning up poopy cages is too much for kids?

We got our cat from there, but we probably wouldn't get another animal from there again.

Sorry, OP, didn't mean to hijack!

We've been foster parents for dogs from rescues, and we definitely did home inspections, etc. For the person complaining that it was difficult to get a dog while having a child and an unfenced yard, believe it or not, those are the 2 biggest reasons dogs are turned over to be killed. And we kill about 5 million a year here in the US, so it's not an unreasonable protective measure. People have a dog, and then, they get a kid. Lo and behold, the dog isn't as cute any more, or maybe they don't have time for it, or maybe they are afraid it might bite the kid, because the kid keeps pulling the dog's ears and stomping on its tail. The other big reason dogs are turned over is because they're "out of control," i.e. no one bothered to train them, and they're not given sufficient exercise. I would definitely think twice before turning over a dog to a family without a yard and with a young child.

Cheers!
Heather W

I'm the "complainer" and it is my opinion that many rescues turn down what would be very good homes. I already had my kid, I wasn't going to decide I no longer wanted a dog because of him. The dog I rescued was very young (it is thought about 2 years old) and was already overweight and had heartworms. He is now normal weight and heartworm free, and by the way, sleeping peacefully in my child's room with him. He gets a long walk at least once a day along with his numerous other short outings on a leash, and goes on runs with me ocassionally, he has no lack of exercise due to not having a fenced in yard.

I am grateful to the rescue who could actually look at MY FAMILY as people, and observe how we interacted with the dog, and use that information as the main criteria for their selection process rather than saying "Kid, no fence, can't possibly love a dog"....we love our dog like he was a human member of our family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter