Dog dental extractions...

Tinkerbell53

Mouseketeer
My dog Bella is having a cleaning with some dental extractions today. I'm nervous about it probably because I've read one too many stories on-line.

I have two puggles both adopted. Brady is 4 years old and we've had him for 2-1/2 years. We love him and his personality so much we decided to get a female. In November, we adopted Bella who is about 6 years old from a Puggle rescue site that we belong to. She had just had a checkup on Halloween with her former owner and and had a clean bill of health we were told. I took her in to get established at our vet to get their heartworm medicine this spring and the vet discovered she had infected teeth that needed to come out.

My three kids are older now 18-22 doing their own thing and I work at home so the dogs are my constant companions. Just dropped her off at the vet and now I have to wait until 2:00 to call and check on her. I felt bad because she thought we were going for a walk and instead she has to go have surgery.

Sorry for rambling. Just have some nervous energy this morning and I know there are lots of dog lovers on the DIS so if you could send some good thoughts my way today I sure would appreciate it!

We don't have dogs. But our 14 year old cat had extractions done last week. My advice is stop reading stories online. Those scared me too. I assume your vet would not recommend the extractions unless he really needed him. Have faith in your vet, take a deep breath, and let the worry go.

I worried about the anesthesia in our older cat, and she came through with flying colors. She's eating better and I'm sure finally out of a lot of pain. She's almost back up to the weight she was before all of this started.

The day of her procedure, I checked on our cat at noon. They said she was fine and I could pick her up at 3, but we would need to keep her in her carrier until later when she was fully awake. So instead of 3, I decided to leave her there as late in the day as possible and got her right before closing, around 5:45. She was still very groggy, trying to walk around but not doing so very well. Poor thing. She was anxious to eat later that night.

I will warn you that one side of her mouth did have some swelling for a few days, but the vet said that was normal.

Best of luck today. I'm sure all will be well.

Our 13 year black lab had to have some teeth extracted and did fine. He had no problems during or after the surgery. I understand how worried you are about your doggie! They are members of the family :lovestruc

We recently got 2 new pups and they both had extractions performed while they were under for their spade/neuter. They were baby teeth that they took out to make room for the adult teeth, but they both did fine and had no issues at all. I was not expecting the vial of teeth she brought to us the first time, but I did expect it for the second. I'd imagine the type of extraction your pup is having might be a bit different because of the adult nature, but you should feel confident that your vet will do whatever is necessary to make your dog feel good during and after the procedure. We have to experience it once or twice in our dogs lifetime. They experience it every day.

Hope your dog feels better soon! :)

Anesthesia issues don't happen as often as the internet would leave you to believe(which is what the majority of the horror stories are about). Just like anything else, people are more likely to report bad experiences as opposed to routine ones.

I'm sure your pup will be fine :) I know it's hard not to worry though.

Thanks everyone! I agree the internet is probably not my friend. Go there to search after care and find a bunch of anesthesia/dental surgery horror stories instead. LOL. Will try to post an update later. I can call at 2:00 to check on her but probably can't pick her up until between 3-6 p.m. they said.

Thanks everyone! I agree the internet is probably not my friend. Go there to search after care and find a bunch of anesthesia/dental surgery horror stories instead. LOL. Will try to post an update later. I can call at 2:00 to check on her but probably can't pick her up until between 3-6 p.m. they said.

If it makes you feel any better, my wife and I left the first appointment after picking up our pup from surgery with all the information about what "could" go wrong, and what to do it if did. I can tell you I was a bit apprehensive after hearing what the vet tech had to say about the dangers. None of them happened of course, and more than likely won't happen in your case either. Both our pups continued on as normal and were just happy to be home. I think you will be fine. :)

My Maltese, Preston, is going in for a dental today also! I don't think he'll need extractions but he had baby teeth extracted when he was about 9 months old and it was no big deal actually. Their mouths heal really fast. I'll keep your baby in my thoughts today as well. Mine is also having a cyst removed on his tail today while he's under...I'm more nervous about that than the dental.

Best thing we every did for my 10 year old cat, he was happier, put on weight and I felt bad for not getting it done sooner. I agree about the horror stories, the internet never has happy endings when you google research - good luck and I'm sure Bella will be fine.

My 10 year old 7 pound girl had several teeth extracted last year. She did just fine! I wouldn't be too worried, you will just make yourself crazy.

Thanks again everyone for sharing your stories! I just picked Bella up at the vet. She needed 2 teeth definitely extracted and she removed another one to save 2 others near it so 3 total. She did fine and she is all drugged up and resting comfortably right now between the anesthesia and a bit of pain medication. LOL. It's almost embarrassing to worry so much about my dogs but I know others here do as well so I'm in good company at least. :D

Thanks again everyone for sharing your stories! I just picked Bella up at the vet. She needed 2 teeth definitely extracted and she removed another one to save 2 others near it so 3 total. She did fine and she is all drugged up and resting comfortably right now between the anesthesia and a bit of pain medication. LOL. It's almost embarrassing to worry so much about my dogs but I know others here do as well so I'm in good company at least. :D

Glad Bella is doing well and everything worked out. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter