Dog Breeds - Most Popular vs Least Popular

I have an 8/9 mix (Shih-tzu/poodle)

He is the best
-doesn't shed!!!!( that is #1 for me!)
-doesn't bark unless someone is in the yard/door
-playful
-cute
-easy to train
-can be in the house for 10 hours alone and not pee!
-friendly

Ours is big-21 lbs, which is very big for that breed, but that is good, as the kids can play hard with him!!

He is 5, has had no health problems, and is an overall great dog!! :paw:

I have #11. Mini schnauzers are small but their stocky build makes them more popular with people who don't want small 'dainty' breeds. But they are very popular now - do not buy from pet stores or backyard breeders. That's just asking for a dog with health and disposition problems.

On the plus side:
-Personality, personality, personality!
-they can make all kinds of cute "talking" sounds - groaning, grumbling, throaty sounds it's hard to describe but it's a common trait in mini-schnauzers.
-Almost 100% no shedding!
-Loving lap dogs
-Active robust terriers
-Very loyal
-Super cute and low-maintenance (I get them shaved twice a year, monthly brushing)
-Longer life spans
-Great with kids
-Did I mention personality? They really are tons of fun.

On the negative side:
-must be leashed or kept in a fenced yard at all times when outdoors. Their chasing instinct is very strong. My poor cat was constantly chased around the house.
-it takes them a few minutes to stop barking and calm down when someone arrives at the door or walks in our yard. (I want to be alerted so I haven't tried to stop the barking).

I'll just second Sandy's thoughts on the miniature schanuzer:) They're pretty great dogs if you find the right breeder.

As an aside, a friend of mine read in an airplane magaizne that the miniature schnauzer is the most underrated "status dog." She didn't really explain what that meant beyond like "the cool people have malti-poos, the really cool people have yorkies and the people so cool they don't even know it have miniature schanuzers." Now, I wouldn't say that I"m so cool or anything, but it was a funny thought:)

We have the world's best beagle! WE adopted him from a beagle rescue in North Carolina. He never barks or howls and love to have fun. We are so so lucky to have found him. I vote for beagle! :paw:

puffkin said:
Gotta love Beagles.

Nothing bothers me more than dogs that are big enough to eat off the counters or sit and peer onto the kitchen table.

This made me laugh. We have a beagle too, and she is a great dog. Such a cuddler. But she has figured out how to push out the kitchen chairs and get up on the table and counter top when she wants a snack. My lab wouldn't dream of getting something off of the table or counter. Not laughing at your quote puffkin...just struck me as funny that my beagle found a way to break the norm.

Oh...here are my two knuckleheads...

Photo_2003_8_27_2_42_0_edited.jpg
MaizieSquare.png

I have a Lab. She is a kind, generous and completely loyal dog. We acquired her at 12 years old and now she is a wonderful 15 year old sweetheart. She had no health problems at 12 and my active kids make her young. This dog has gotten dressed up with dressup clothes, gone trick or treating with the kids and the costumes, toenails painted (yes my 7 year old daughter gave her a Pawdicure), sit on the bed with a doggie tea party... and has never growled or gotten angry.

She is an amazing dog, and I think my kids have kept her young and active.

I also have a minituare poodle. We acquired him at age 2/3 and he still had some puppy in him. He's now 5, and has mellowed some but still active. He is sweet, doesn't shed much, and is very very loyal to my son.

I have a miniature dachshund and she is the perfect dog for us, but I wouldn't recommend them for everybody. Pros - she is small (about 8 lbs.), does not shed alot, has no doggy odor, and does not require frequent baths or grooming. Dachshunds are very smart, and have such funny little personalities that you can't help but fall in love with them. Plus, they are so darn cute!

But, they are not for everyone. They are extremely independent and stubborn, making them difficult to housebreak. Also, children need to be taught how to pick up doxies properly because their backs are very fragile. You have to be careful with them jumping off the sofa, bed, etc. so they won't injure their backs.

We have a 3yr old pug who is wonderful - we just had a baby 11 weeks ago and he's AWESOME with him. Doesn't get jealous!

It was said before, but pugs shed every single day. We brush him often to minimize the hair.... and he's got his own personality- he's a clown! We love him to bits. :)

The dogs on the bottom half of the list - honestly, I've never seen them "in real life".... except in dog shows. Probably high maintenance breeds!

snoopy said:
Awww I love pugs! My boys are driving me crazy to get a dog, but we've always had labs and that is just too big of a dog for us at this stage of our lives. I would actually consider a pug, nice to know yours loves children.

Pugs are awesome little dogs. They are inside dogs... lap dogs that crave attention. This is not a dog to be adopted and left in a yard. They are great with children and hardly ever bark. They are couch potatoes and don't like much exercise (lazy!). I have 4... all adopted from www.alabamapugrescue.com. They do shed year round. The blacks don't shed as much as the fawns.

I also have a yorkie that a neighbor left with me. He is a one person dog and I'm "his person." He attacks anyone that touches me (even DH). He doesn't bite hard or anything... he just gets terribly aggitated. He barks a lot and has to have his hair done because it gets really long. I wouldn't recommend this dog for children... but I could be wrong my only experience is the one I have now.

We have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. He is a lap dog. Fully grown under 30lbs. ,small in size. He is very calm and lovable. Wants to always be with you and is very well behaved! :dog2:
DSC00404.jpg

DSC01909bc.jpg

255.jpg
:cool1:

Pugdog007 said:
Pugs are awesome little dogs. They are inside dogs... lap dogs that crave attention. This is not a dog to be adopted and left in a yard. They are great with children and hardly ever bark . They are couch potatoes and don't like much exercise (lazy!). I have 4... all adopted from www.alabamapugrescue.com. They do shed year round. The blacks don't shed as much as the fawns.

Hardly ever bark? What do you feed your pugs? :) Mine barks a lot. At cars driving by, at leaves that fall off the trees, blades of grass moving in the wind....

he's a guard dog! :)

Here is my favorite breed. I've had German Shepherd Dogs all my life, 6 in all. Their popularity is a tribute to their intelligence, loyalty and utility. I would not recommend them for everyone but if you're willing to take the time to understand the breed and train and socialize them then they can make wonderful pets. I cannot imagine not having one in my life.

My girl here is 15 months old. She's devoted to our family and especially our children. At night she makes her rounds into each child's room - sniffs their faces, licks them and then goes and lays down. She's pretty funny as well. Tonight I had her in the pool on a boogie board to cool down. Quite a sight!

LieslII.jpg

bekkiz said:
I'll just second Sandy's thoughts on the miniature schanuzer:) They're pretty great dogs if you find the right breeder.

Your miniature schnauzer is really cute! Here's a couple more pics of mine:

P1000878.jpg

P1000873.jpg

My BIL and SIL had a Pharoah Hound. They had to special order him in from the West Coast, because that was the closest breeder. I know they paid top dollar for him because she is severely allergic to Dogs and this breed was know not to shed too much or produce much dander. That dog was completely neurotic...so flighty and nervous and chewed through the metal on his crate when they were gone, etc. He had issues...

They have another Pharoah Hound now and it is better, but still very nervous and flighty. Of course, I might have issues too if I lived in that house...:teeth:

KaterBell said:
Hardly ever bark? What do you feed your pugs? :) Mine barks a lot. At cars driving by, at leaves that fall off the trees, blades of grass moving in the wind....

he's a guard dog! :)

Seriously? Is he a puppy? Mine have never barked... hardly at all. They are NOT guard dogs by any stretch of the imagination. I don't know of many pugs that bark... and I know a lot of them. :pug:

miller1412, the picture of your beagle made me smile. I had a beagle mix, but he had the same colors. Also, the same brown ears and brown mark on his head. He was 11 when he was killed by our neighbors father.

Thanks for making me smile :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter