Dog Breeds - Most Popular vs Least Popular

We have two Shelties, one is almost 8 and the other is just 5 months. My older one is so laid back, never barks and when he does you know that he "senses" something different(ie noise etc). He doesn't shed much, but during the fall and winter he does lose tufts of hair. He's my lap dog.

The little one is a spitfire, he now keeps my older one in shape. He's a little more yippy, wants to play all the time and tries to herd the kids. The good thing about that is when he does try to do the herding thing, my older Sheltie goes after him and "puts him in his place".

Wouldn't trade either of them for the world...I did ALOT of research on breeds before we got our first dog. This breed best suits OUR family, and that's what's most important for us.

Gotta love Beagles.

They are the friendliest dogs ever, though sometimes too friendly. I have (or my family) has had them all our lives, and none were howlers. Well, my darling Murphy is a howler, so he broke the pattern. We have only had one that chewed, and one that was difficult to housebreak. So, as you can see, generalizations don't always work for a breed.

The reason I love Beagles are they are friendly and great with all kinds of people. They love to run and play, when given a chance, but also just to lounge around. They love attention and will snuggle with you all night if you let them. They are good with other pets. They do shed, but not a whole lot. Finally, I like their size. Big enough (30 lbs. or so) so that you can rough house with them and not worry about hurting them, but small enough so you can push them away and carry them. Nothing bothers me more than dogs that are big enough to eat off the counters or sit and peer onto the kitchen table.

thelionqueen said:
After a ton of research regarding dogs, breeds, behaviors and histories, we decided on a Great Pyrenees.

The Great Pyrenees is a fairly "rare" breed. I only say rare because they are not well known or recognizable. We have owned our male Great Pyr "Timber" for 5 years. He is the BEST TEMPERED DOG I have ever encountered!!!
that, he is so pretty, etc"

We have a lot of them here in central Texas. People put them out in the pastures with their goats as guard dogs, and they live there 24/7. Puppies are for sale pretty cheap all the time in the paper, and you see the older ones for sale sometimes at livestock auctions, all dirty and matted and full of burrs. It just breaks your heart. :sad2:

Well, I have #42 in my family--Scottish Terriers. I love my Scotties, but honestly would hesitate to recommend these dogs for most people, especially anyone with small children. Scotties are stocky, low-to-the-ground dogs that range from 18-25 lbs (mine tip the scale at 30 lbs though). This tiny dog has a mouth and teeth the same size as a German Shepard. Scotties can chase things that move and can be nippy and they are exceptionally strong-willed. They are not good choices for families with small children unless parents understand the breed completely. Scotties typically accept only 1-3 people in their lives--they will tolerate others but will not be overly friendly.

Scotties are prone to skin allergies, Scottie cramp, jaw problems, a form of doggie hemophillia (free bleeders) and bladder cancers. Both of mine have an excessively high liver enzyme that we monitor frequently with blood work and special diet. Scotties also need regular grooming and hair cuts to maintain the "Scottie look", but a shaggy coat is also cute. Scotties are very intelligent, but are exceptionally stubborn. Training can be an issue. It is not a breed for everyone. Westies have many of the same problems, but have a more easy-going disposition and are better family pets.

Labs are popular because they are the all-American family dog. Many of the dogs at the top have issues with overbreeding or poor breeding which can cause major health issues and disposition issues for a family. Large breeds have bad hips, small breeds have bad knees, etc. Many people are viewing the yorkies, pugs, and chihuahuas as fashion accessories nowdays, sadly. Again, overbreeding produces poor quality animals due to demand. The breed suffers.

As to the least popular dogs, I would guess you would be on a waiting list for a long time to get one of these dogs. And they will be very expensive. If your friend wants to be unique, he could adopt a "mutt" and have a one-of-a-kind dog.

I think if you'd tell everyone what it is that your friends have in mind as the "Perfect" dog for their family, everyone might have better luck giving recommendations for one that would fit the family better.

We have a lab. Truthfully, the reason we got her is because she was being abused and we hated watching her being treated like that. She's a great dog. Great with the kids etc.... She's got a funny personality, but fits right in with us. :rotfl: She's very protective and doesn't like when she's put around strangers and she hates to be scolded. She's always been overly anxious to please. I think most labs LOVE all people. Not the case for us though.

We were going to get another dog this year, but when a stray cat had kittens in June, I had to give one of those a home, right? :confused3

Next year we'll probably go forward with our plans to get a toy American Eskimo. My daughter and I have both wanted one for quite some time.

fairytalehaven said:
I'm sorry but I have to say this (just voicing my opinion):

The best dog is a mixed breed. Always had them, always will. They have always been friendly, good with kids, and trained well.

I've been thinking about getting a dog as well. I've asked 2 different veterinarians about which breed of dog I should get and they both said a mixed breed.....not only for being family friendly but for health reasons as well. Your friend might want to check out your local animal shelter or rescue facility for possibilities.

We have a lab and a boston terrier. We love them both so much and they are so different from each other. Our lab is a sweet loving kind dog and our boston has a personality all his own!

We have a black lab who is 10 and we love him. We got him when he was 3 from the Humane Society and he was abused as a puppy, but he loves people and is one of the friendliest dogs you could ask for. He loves to be played with and petted and is great with kids, other dogs, etc. And no food ever goes to waste around here either, he will eat anything!

The only thing I do have to say is that he is terrified of thunderstorms. I'm not really sure if this is a breed thing or if it happened to him when he was a puppy, but he is not happy when it rains. He runs and hides in a dark corner everytime it storms and we do actually have pills from the vet to give him during storms to calm his anxiety.

Other than that, he's great. We love him to pieces. :)

mrsv98 said:
Hounds - these are very vocal and active dogs. They are bred to pursue and like to run. The can be noisy and more difficult to train.
Please, I KNOW there are exceptions and I am sure someone can refute everything I have said, this is just my view on why these dogs are popular/unpopular

Ok Ok I'll refute. You need to be SPECIFIC when you say hounds. What kind fo hound? We own 2 greyhounds who are extremely typically of the breed. They are former racing dogs and therefore NOT eligible for AKC registry.

They do NOT "speak", generally. They tend to be VERY quiet. At the annual greyhound rescue picnic we were at some years ago, there were over 200 dogs...it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop, except for the occassional yip from another breed who was present.

Despite their rep as "racers" they are extraordinarily INactive. They are the laziest couch-potatos on the planet. Both dogs WILL run if chasing an object (cat, plastic bag etc) but need to be "lured" into it first. BOth of my greys would rather sleep than run and it is typical of the breed.

I taught both greys to sit, shake paw, lay down and speak in one night. NOt hard to train.

So there may be some hound types that are what you describe. It just doesn't apply universally to all hounds.

pospisil said:
All of the dogs on the top twenty are bred extensively by backyard breeders. This make for cheap, low-quality dogs, but ones that can be registered, which makes them rank high on the popularity lists. The lower twenty haven't been discovered by the masses yet, so they are generally bred by reputable breeders, which makes them more expensive, so there's not as big of a demand. The popularity charts don't have anything to do with what kind of dog makes a good pet.These things wax and wane with public opinion. When I was a kid, dobermans were high on the list and rottweilers way down low, now they are reversed. Tell your friend to go to a pound and find a dog that clicks with him, he'll know him when he meets him. He'll be saving a life! :dog2:

This poster speaks the truth! The top 20 breeds are the most common puppy mill and backyard breeder picks. Doesn't really say anything about the breed itself =(

My family always had English Springer Spaniels when I was growing up. We bred them, too! Those are the cutest puppies!! They are great with children, and very intelligent. They are fairly large (about 60-70lbs). Here's a picture of one I found on the internet:
w_emm_vine.jpg

We (me, DH and kids) have a beagle and a cocker/beagle mix. Both are GREAT dogs! The beagle barks more than I'd rather here her, and if she gets loose, she's outta there. LOVE my little mutt though. She's smart, affectionate, playful, and very healthy. The pic below is of her.

I have a Shih Tzu:

47b5df30b3127cce9e5971492f5600000016108Absmzdy4bt1

He's been a great dog choice for us, reasons why we chose him:
- low shedding for my allergy issues
- quiet
- cute and cuddly
- friendly
- loves to be pampered
- long life span

We added a mixed breed about a month ago:

47b5d627b3127cce93160cfa72ae00000016108Absmzdy4bt1

So far, he's quiet, very low shed as well, friendly to everyone. We'll see what breed takes precendence in his personality in a few more months, it's not as apparent right now.

Shelter dogs can make some of the BEST pets in the world. I'd spend time at the shelter and see if the perfect family dog is found there ;) Not only do you save tons of money (GOOD breeders charge a lot!) but you save a life.

we have a lab, she is a great dog. very personable, friendly, wouldn't hurt a fly. she is a love and a member of our family. not sure I would get a different dog after Madison. they are prone to hip problems but she acts like a pup and she is 5. a real sweet heart.

The only breed I've lived with is the Collie and I'm not sure where they rank. These are smart, sweet and obedient dogs even if they can be a bit high strung at times. I've referred to them as very emotional because their feelings can be easily hurt. I imagine that some people are put off by the heavy coats of the rough Collie so one of the short-haired Collies might be a good alternative.

If your friend decides to go with one of the popular breeds just be sure to warn him to do his research so he can avoid the puppy mills. The pet shops aren't usually a good idea either even though seeing the puppies can melt your heart!

I now have 4 large dogs, and although I love them each dearly, that is about 2 and 1/2 dogs too many!! But I could never give any of them up, so we do what we have to do...2 of them were free, and 2 of them were very expensive.

Opie is our 11 year old yellow lab. A big goof ball who still ignores me when I tell him to stay behind the baby gate in the kitchen. Labs are sweet, large, energetic (for at least 4 years) and very loyal. They live long usually, and from all the ones I have known become sort of grouchy when they get up in the years (don't we all..) No health problems to speak of.

Wylie is our mutt, a shepherd/collie???mix. He is our charity case, a stray that we took in as a pup. He is extremely smart, and a great dog..the smallest of the 4 at 65 lbs. He has had ear infections and skin conditions/allergies that have been very expensive to treat.

Mitch, our big boy. He is a Newfoundland, about 160 lbs. Newfs are water rescue dogs, they can be trained to pull a small boat! (now see why I think we have too many dogs???) Very sweet, dopey, goofy. But WAYYY to big.....Sorry Mitch, I love ya, but you are just TOOOO big....(My DH loves the big dogs...I'd have a pug or something that could sit in my lap without crushing my legs...) No health problems at all. He is now 7, and their life expectancy is about 8..Thankfully, he is in great health..

Stella, I have to confess is my favorite. She is a Bernese Mountain, the most beautiful dog I have ever seen. She is large, about 90 lbs.. Very, very friendly and sweet, with an amazing smile. Berners were bred to pull milk carts from the farm to the market. Their larger cousins, the Swiss Mountain Dog, have cart pulling trials. Everyone loves Stella! Unfortunately, her life expectancy is about the same as Mitch's. She is also 7. What is it about big dogs not living very long???

All 4 of these guys have been great with my kids, with the possible exception of Mitch. Did I tell you all that he is just WAY TOO BIG? He is too big to be around the kids, he would just knock them down.

Anyway, I have a good variety of dogs, don't know where the 2 last ones fall on the list.

Although I do like the idea of clearing the shelters and finding homes for all the homeless pets, I would be very leary of obtaining a dog without knowing it's lineage. I am sure I will be flamed by this remark, but the last thing I would want to bring home from the pound is something with a Pitt Bull or Rottweiler in it's background. Wylie was obviously neither of these, otherwise he would never have come home with us. Sorry, I know there are some owners of these dogs who say they are very sweet and trust them with their children, but their reputation is enough for me to say, "no thanks". There is enough to worry about any dog without history like that. Flame on...

None of our dogs require any special grooming, although the last two have really long hair that needs to be brushed more often than the others, and Mitch tends to smell if he doesn't get a pretty regular bath.

That Komondor is really a cool dog. We looked at them a while ago, they were quite expensive. Don't you have to have their coat groomed into dred locks? I know that brushed is also an option, I was just curious how much upkeep that kind of "do" is!

Love those doggies, all shapes and sizes!!!

Edited to add a note to Just2554....LOL!!!Just went back and read your post about your Lab and thunderstorms!! My Opie is the biggest baby, that even when there is just the darkening of sky out, he starts to pant and follow me around. He drives me crazy!!! So I usually confine him somewhere that I don't have to see him pant and drool. The other night he broke down the baby gate and tried to run upstairs-he can barely climb 5 steps...I had to lock him in the (attached) garage, where he seemed to be less stressed. I once had a very Southern friend tell me that "Dawgs attract lightning." LOL.....Maybe that's why the dogs are so nervous during a thunderstorm...they know the lightning is searching them out!!!

Nana Annie said:
The top 20 registered breeds:_________The bottom20 least registered breeds
#1 Retrievers (Labrador)_____________ #135 Lowchen
#2 Retrievers (Golden)______________ #136 Pulik
#3 German Shepherd Dogs___________ #137 Spaniels (Irish Water)
#4 Beagles________________________ #138 Spaniels (Field)
#5 Yorkshire Terriers________________ #139 Pharaoh Hounds
#6 Dachshunds____________________ #140 Black and Tan Coonhounds
#7 Boxers_________________________ #141 Ibizan Hounds
#8 Poodles________________________ #142 Canaan Dogs
#9 Shih Tzu_______________________ #143 Komondorok
#10 Chihuahuas___________________ #144 German Pinschers
#11 Miniature Schnauzers___________ #145 Plotts
#12 Pugs_________________________ #146 Sealyham Terriers
#13 Pomeranians__________________ #147 Dandie Dinmont Terriers
#14 Bulldogs______________________ #148 Finnish Spitz
#15 Spaniels (Cocker)______________ #149 Skye Terriers
#16 Rottweilers___________________ #150 Harriers
#17 Boston Terriers________________ #151 Spaniels (Sussex)
#18 Shetland Sheepdogs____________ #152 Foxhounds (American)
#19 Maltese______________________ #153 Otterhounds
#20 Pointers (German Shorthaired)___ #154 Foxhounds (English)

LOL - I'm going to guess the reason those dogs are in the bottom of the list is because no one knows what the heck they are. The top of the list are much more common breeds, people buy what they know, what neighbors have, what they grew up with.

Yikes!! Well, that certainly answered my question!!! That takes quite a dedication to a breed to do all that-my hat is off to you! I have seen the Komondor and their "cousin?" (at least the coat is similar) the Puli shown. The way their coat just bounces when they trot is so much fun. They look like they are a lot of work, I have trouble remembering to brush my dogs once a week.

My next dog is going to be so low maintence, I think it will be a cat.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter