Does your infant/toddler dress up?

la79al

DIS Veteran
Just wondering whether your little little ones dress up to go to the parks. DD will be 19 months and I'm wondering whether I should start looking for some princess dresses now as opposed to waiting until we get to DW.

I say absolutely! We found the most darling little satin & organza Tinkerbelle dress with little wings at a thrift store for $5 for our will be 2 year old. My hubby says that I'll have to pay extra for my 2nd checked bag of costumes!!

Waiting until you get to WDW will mean paying full price for something you can probably get for a lot less.

Watch clearance sales and check out yard sales and second-hand children's stores. I sell my dd's dress up clothes after she's outgrown them. They are always in good condition. I'm sure if you look, you'll find some in your area, too.

Most of dd's Disney dresses came from Disneyoutlet.com. I check on a regular basis to see what they are selling for 75% off. Their costumes are great but so overpriced.

Keep in mind that at 19 months, some of those costumes might not be comfortable for very long while in the parks. Keep it simple.

you can probably do a little of both. My friend is giving dd a tinkerbell dress and I am going to try to make my girls tutus... we will see how that goes but that being said if I see something I like that can double as a halloween outfit i am probably going to get it. I am already thinking about a minnie dress I saw on my 10th aniv. trip where we were inspired to have another by that dress. I know silly but we so missed our kids being little and being at disney with out them just made us want them and another and this will be our littlest princess first trip and it will also be the week of her first birthday!

Ok, normally I'm not a spend-a-fortune-on-Disney type, but Tink costume would be so stinkin' cute! My dd was Tink for Halloween when she was 2 and I just can't get enough of looking at those pictures. In fact, when I'm out of hock with these points and can have an avatar again, I'll put her in ther Tink costume on my profile.

I'd bring maybe one costume so she feels like one of the big girls and then bring an outift of comfy clothes to change into. If you are totally set on having her in costume, you may want to consider is checking Etsy for some princess-inspired sundresses that would be more comfortable for your little one but would still have some princess flair. I am planning to make a Sleeping Beauty inspired sundress for my DD's trip to "Cinderella's Castle".

I've always dressed my girls up when we go. Lydia was 4 months old on her first trip and I had Snow White, Tink, Cinderella and Belle outfits for her. All bought on clearance of course! Some of the costumes are scratchy though, so if you sew or know someone who does, you might want to look into getting comfy cotton outfits made. Check out the Disboutiquers thread (here on the Family Board)for tons of ideas! :thumbsup2

We don't dress our DD up in costume. We're all about comfort. Once she's older (say 4 maybe)and can fully appreciate and understand dressing like a princess, then we'll consider dressing her in costumes, but not until then.

Then again, our DD (16 months old) is obssessed with Mickey right now and will probably want a Mickey t-shirt or hat over anything else when we go in Nov.princess:

our DD begs to wear her princess dresses but we always bring a change of clothes in case it is hot or something happens! you have to do it. They make GREAT pictures!

I buy dress up clothes for my two on EBay and pick up items at thrift stores, usually the goodwill stores sell costumes cheap around halloween, I picked up a Pooh costume for my son for $5, he loved it so much he wore it 3 or our 5 days at the park (it was good that is was cold when we went or we would not have been able to let him wear it) Both of mine wanted to dress up every day, I should have just left their regular clothes at home :rotfl::rotfl:

My dd wore her minnie mouse dress mostly for photos... like when we first entered the park and when we went to see the characters. For the rest of the day, she wore comfy clothes that were Disney themed, some of which I made... like a red and white polka dot pillowcase dress.

DO IT!!!! You won't regret it.

We dressed up our 18 month old in a Tink costume (bought at BRUs for $3.99 on the clearance rack) and then in a Sleeping Beauty dress for our Akershus Princess dinner.

The pictures are PRICELESS! We got stopped so many times by strangers commenting on how adorable she was. She loved the attention!

We did bring regular clothes for her to wear before/after dinner so she was comfortable. Although I must say that she never made a peep in the outfits - I think she was just as comfortable in them as she was in regular clothes.

Enjoy!

I bought several princess dresses before we went to WDW for our 4 yr old. She wore NONE OF THEM. It was simply too stinkin hot and humid in Sept , and the dresses too scratchy. If you plan on putting your little one in a dress, be sure to bring clothes to change into .

If she knows the princess movies, I would definately bring/buy some. When my DD was 23 months, she didn't know the princesses, so she didn't have any dresses and I didn't bring any. Fast forward to 28 months when we went in Jan and that all she wanted to wear. I always dreamed about taking my little girl to Disney and ONLY bringing princesses dresses for her to wear. NEVER did I imagine it would be when she wasn't even 2 1/2 yet!!

My daughter wore a Cinderella dress on our last trip when she was 17.5 months old. It was floor length because she was short (and it was her sister's hand-me-down) ...which we bought for her - Big Sis- at 2.5 years old, 2nd Disney Trip!

Everyone commented on how cute she looked!

I say go for it!!!

We did not dress our daughter up last time we went to MK. (She was 18 months old), but she will probably want to wear them when we go this Fall.

If you look on etsy.com, a lot of people make beautiful embroidered mickey/minnie tshirts and dresses. Really cute, but still really comfortable. I found hand made embroidered minnie shirts for $7.98 and they will even embroider your child's name on it.

Some of the costumes seem like they would be really hot, depending on the time of year you go.

Absolutely! Last year my daughter was 18 months and I made her a couple of light, non-scratchy dresses (Cinderella and tink). This year she will be 2 1/2 and I have made her one for all of the princesses + tink. My only advice is get them ahead of time and make sure that they aren't really hot or scratchy. That will be key if you are going while it is hot.

we dressed our 13 month old up in May.
Our method was that during the day at the parks she just wore normal clothes (though admittedly we all matched) and then at night she wore "costumes" (cinderella, tinkerbelle, etc). She didn't mind them at all, but I was worried she'd get too hot.
It was pretty adorable.
We didn't spend a fortune on the clothes, but it was worth what we spent.
My favourite was her minnie mouse dress and at 15 months she always is pointing to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter