• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does your DVC home resort really matter?

Information is always good but I fear you're encouraging many to make larger mistakes than you did by suggesting they overbuy.
I think the point is really don't buy cheaper (just because it is cheaper) IF they aren't happy staying there-if they are that's great (can save a lot of money) but if a person buys SSR thinking that they will easily get a monorail resort every trip or BWV/BC during F&W they are setting themselves up for disappointment. Too many people don't understand that the 7 month window can require a lot of strategy (as you have pointed out)-so it is important to have a place to stay that you will ultimately be happy with if there isn't avail at 7 months to switch-if that's SSR great if not be forewarned. The OP wants a monorail resort and hubby wants cheaper SSR-everyone giving advice just wants them to be realistic about their chances of always trading into another (presumably monorail) resort

I think the point is really don't buy cheaper (just because it is cheaper) IF they aren't happy staying there-if they are that's great (can save a lot of money) but if a person buys SSR thinking that they will easily get a monorail resort every trip or BWV/BC during F&W they are setting themselves up for disappointment. Too many people don't understand that the 7 month window can require a lot of strategy (as you have pointed out)-so it is important to have a place to stay that you will ultimately be happy with if there isn't avail at 7 months to switch-if that's SSR great if not be forewarned. The OP wants a monorail resort and hubby wants cheaper SSR-everyone giving advice just wants them to be realistic about their chances of always trading into another (presumably monorail) resort
IMO one needs to do enough investigation to make the best decision possible up front. Ideally it'd be to buy the perfect option (points, home resort, UY) out of the box but the reality is that few will have enough knowledge, experience and info to actually do that. My philosophy is it's far better to underbuy than overbuy, esp if it means the overbuy is retail. Even if that means they can't get what they thought they wanted. Anyone who did the proper investigation up front would realize they aren't going to buy SSR and get VGF routinely so in my thoughts that's a moot point. But the same is true owning a given resort, one doesn't have any better luck at 7 months owning a higher end resort as SSR, it's the same, the only question is what did you reserve to fall back on at the home resort 11 months out. Everytime one trades down at 7 months, they've lost value on their up front purchase. I've said many times that often the best option is a combo of lower and higher demand/cost points for many people but again, few are going to know up front what that is. I also believe many should underbuy up front and that might mean buying some SSR or similar and then trying to get experience to see what they really want for later. As a main component I believe FEW really know what they're going to want long term as new buyers but many think they know.

We have BLT as our home resort. We typically travel in November during the Food & Wine festival. Trying to switch to a resort with the 7 month window is just a nightmare. Not much available in the Studios, 1 Bedroom, or 2 Bedrooms. So, we put in some waitlist options and hope we get one.

That's why we're thinking of buying resale on Beach Club Villas. That is our other preferred resort that we like to stay at regularly.

We like being near the monorail or water transportation and within walking distance from at the park we plan to visit most. BLT is close to MK. BCV is near Epcot.

Like most folks mentioned: Buy at the resort that you can really call "Home" in case you have difficulty switching at the 7 month window.

These type of topics are always the best. Everyone always feels strongly..."buy where you want to stay. " " buy the cheapest" But at the end of the day it really depends on your family and your lifestyle and preferences. I own a restaurant and i know i can never travel during christmass or even spring because its just too busy. I also can never book a vacation 11 months out , I never have its just too much of a commitment for me im a last minute type of guy.When I decided where to buy i took all that into consideration. If you want vgf and you can commit to 11 months out and you really dont want to try other places thats the spot for you and you will get great value. But if your not booking at 11 months out every year and staying there every year your flat out burning money. Imagine paying all that money for those points not booking at 11 months out and end up staying at ssr or okw. Im only 32yo and have 1 kid. I usually go to wdw the week before or after labor day. Its a slow time at restaurant and slow at parks for me it made sense to buy ssr in my situation. Everyones situation is different so there really is no right or wrong opinion. Keeping fingers crossed as i didnt actually buy yet.. its in rofr now 350pts double loaded $77pp.

valentinasdad--we take our family vacation at the same time. Its a wonderful time to book at 7 months, especially if you can do a split stay. This year, there was so much available I got to choose between PVB, VGF, and BLT. Went with BLT for the convenience of walking. I completely agree about never spending expensive points at less expensive resorts. Our small VGC contract never mixes with my other two.

When I bought in 1999, the only WDW DVC were OKW and BWV. I liked both. I planned to stay at OKW in May and then BWV in early December. OKW was available by resale and was cheaper. Very few BWV resales at that time. The fact that BWV is hard to get in early December made the decision for me and go direct. I've never regretted that decision.

Even though we can actually 'afford' a 2-bedroomed value at Jambo, we still want to stay at GFV at least once - and not just in a studio, either! We bought within the 11-month window for a 'cheeky week' in November and when I idly just went on to see what was available, all the 1-bedrooms had gone for both places. Now, we're still too far out for a 7-month booking (beginning of May I believe), so by the time we get to that point, I expect all the cheapest studios will have gone - everywhere!

Now, technically we could go over and have 11 or 12 nights at GFV some time next year (choosing the cheapest time to come, obviously, not peak), but part of me feels almost guilty at 'blowing' 3 years' points on a single, luxury holiday! We stayed at AoA this year and DD and I had a 7-night stay at CBR last year, and both are fairly expensive, so clearly it's going to work out cheaper if we do decide to have a big expensive stay every couple of years. And then it'll get complicated as we'll be 'borrowing' ahead to make up the points once we've used or rented out our 2014 points.

Even though we can actually 'afford' a 2-bedroomed value at Jambo, we still want to stay at GFV at least once - and not just in a studio, either! We bought within the 11-month window for a 'cheeky week' in November and when I idly just went on to see what was available, all the 1-bedrooms had gone for both places. Now, we're still too far out for a 7-month booking (beginning of May I believe), so by the time we get to that point, I expect all the cheapest studios will have gone - everywhere!

Now, technically we could go over and have 11 or 12 nights at GFV some time next year (choosing the cheapest time to come, obviously, not peak), but part of me feels almost guilty at 'blowing' 3 years' points on a single, luxury holiday! We stayed at AoA this year and DD and I had a 7-night stay at CBR last year, and both are fairly expensive, so clearly it's going to work out cheaper if we do decide to have a big expensive stay every couple of years. And then it'll get complicated as we'll be 'borrowing' ahead to make up the points once we've used or rented out our 2014 points.
I'm not sure your focus on "cheapest studios" but I'd suggest that standard and value rooms in general (AKV, BLT, VGF, BWV, Poly) are all very likely to be gone routinely at or near the 11 month window, AKV will be the exception for standard view. OKW, SSR & AKV standard are likely to be available.

I'm not sure your focus on "cheapest studios" but I'd suggest that standard and value rooms in general (AKV, BLT, VGF, BWV, Poly) are all very likely to be gone routinely at or near the 11 month window, AKV will be the exception for standard view. OKW, SSR & AKV standard are likely to be available.

Why? Because we only have 100 points! Coming from the UK we like to do 10 days' minimum or we don't get our money's worth with flights being £500 each. We can do 10 nights at AKL in a value studio and not pay a penny extra for accommodation.

Why? Because we only have 100 points! Coming from the UK we like to do 10 days' minimum or we don't get our money's worth with flights being £500 each. We can do 10 nights at AKL in a value studio and not pay a penny extra for accommodation.
I was simply saying I wasn't sure which studios you were focusing on and suggesting that those I mentioned are unlikely to be available at 7 months. If you're trying to maximize your value and minimize your costs, the value at AKV will be your best bet if you meet the strict occupancy there but you'll need to reserve right at 11 months out most of the time. You're better off making your reservations for the value at 11 months out and then trying for something else when you have the desire. Even if you're not sure your dates, make your best guess and reserve the value.

I was simply saying I wasn't sure which studios you were focusing on and suggesting that those I mentioned are unlikely to be available at 7 months. If you're trying to maximize your value and minimize your costs, the value at AKV will be your best bet if you meet the strict occupancy there but you'll need to reserve right at 11 months out most of the time. You're better off making your reservations for the value at 11 months out and then trying for something else when you have the desire. Even if you're not sure your dates, make your best guess and reserve the value.

GFV unfortunately doesn't do 'value' or even 'standard'! It's 'deluxe' or nothing, sadly.

I thought you couldn't reserve accommodation before the 7-month window?

Also, what do you mean about 'meet the strict occupancy'? Are you talking about the size of the party? That's easy - there would only be 2 or 3 of us. The point about going larger is so that DD would have her own bed! I was the only girl in my family and endured years of being the one on the sofabed. I've done it to DD twice, and don't want to do it forever.

Wait, what? Wouldn't start of May be for Dec?

Edit: I double checked because I was posting from bed (no coffee yet--I tend to make mistakes). But it says on the dvc member site that currently, for 7 months you can book for any reservation starting November 12 or earlier--so if you're looking for early November, please check it out. May 1st would match to Dec. 1st.

Last edited:
GFV unfortunately doesn't do 'value' or even 'standard'! It's 'deluxe' or nothing, sadly.

I thought you couldn't reserve accommodation before the 7-month window?

Also, what do you mean about 'meet the strict occupancy'? Are you talking about the size of the party? That's easy - there would only be 2 or 3 of us. The point about going larger is so that DD would have her own bed! I was the only girl in my family and endured years of being the one on the sofabed. I've done it to DD twice, and don't want to do it forever.
VGF has standard and lake view. I thought you were saying your 100 pts were at AKV, if that was not correct, the principles still apply, reserve at your home resort. You are not likely to get AKV value, BLT standard or BWV standard not owning at those resorts unless you simply go the very lowest seasons and even then it will be hit or miss. Yes occupancy is the number of people. The 1 BR doesn't give a second bed, only a pull out. The only studios with DVC that give give a second bed are OKW with 2 queens and the studios with the pull down small bed which might work for a while depending on here age. VB Inn rooms also have 2 queens.

Wait, what? Wouldn't start of May be for Dec?

I dunno! I can't work backwards! ROFL

So, you're saying it's already opened up for November ... that would explain why, when I put first week of november into the availability screen it brought up all those other places, then.

You can see I'm new at this ... ;)

VGF has standard and lake view. I thought you were saying your 100 pts were at AKV, if that was not correct, the principles still apply, reserve at your home resort. You are not likely to get AKV value, BLT standard or BWV standard not owning at those resorts unless you simply go the very lowest seasons and even then it will be hit or miss. Yes occupancy is the number of people. The 1 BR doesn't give a second bed, only a pull out. The only studios with DVC that give give a second bed are OKW with 2 queens and the studios with the pull down small bed which might work for a while depending on here age. VB Inn rooms also have 2 queens.

I did get various options at AKL come up, though! Whether they're still there a week later is a moot point.

Re value/deluxe/standard, imo GFV doesn't 'do' value, so it wouldn't apply, anyway. They're all deluxe as far as I can see. The view itself wouldn't bother me unless we were opposite the car park or something.

Incidentally, can someone point me in the direction of the abbreviations for DVC, as half these threads/post read like gobbledigook to me!! What's VB Inn?

Yes, it's open for up to the 12th in November right now.

Okay! Well, that falls into their 2nd level of pricing, most options of which are actually the same as the cheapest time to go. It's whether anything is going on at Disney/Orlando area that week which might influence availability that is the key. I could get flights for around £450 each at that time, too ... trouble is, we'd still need spending money and that would be as much again.

I just noticed you were looking for a "cheeky week in November," and if you were waiting until May 1, that would be for December (so I guessed you were looking for the first week in November). First week in December is low crowds and low point cost, so a high demand week for DVC. Just hoping to get your DVC calendar straight (whatever it is you're looking for) because being off by a month could make your opportunity to book pass you by. Whenever you go, have a great time! :)

I did get various options at AKL come up, though! Whether they're still there a week later is a moot point.

Re value/deluxe/standard, imo GFV doesn't 'do' value, so it wouldn't apply, anyway. They're all deluxe as far as I can see. The view itself wouldn't bother me unless we were opposite the car park or something.

Incidentally, can someone point me in the direction of the abbreviations for DVC, as half these threads/post read like gobbledigook to me!! What's VB Inn?
VGF has standard and lake view and prices that is factual, they are still more than many other options though. My point was that the standard view is unlikely to be available at VGF even if something else is assuming you want to stay at VGF at some point. For AKV, there are a few days here and there that are available, I'll bet there's even a lot less available when the 7 month window opens. The chance of getting the type of stay you're discussing in a value, even reserving what you can and wait listing, is very unlikely. This is part of the buy in investigation, the cheaper studios at 7 months out are a problem and buyers should realize that up front.

valentinasdad--we take our family vacation at the same time. Its a wonderful time to book at 7 months, especially if you can do a split stay. This year, there was so much available I got to choose between PVB, VGF, and BLT. Went with BLT for the convenience of walking. I completely agree about never spending expensive points at less expensive resorts. Our small VGC contract never mixes with my other two.
I apologize for commenting on such an old post but my husband and I are in the midst of deciding what home resort to buy into. We do enjoy AKV but don't really like the idea of committing to it every single year. I've been reading about what a pain it can be booking another resort at 7mo. I see that you have 3 resorts listed. Does this mean you currently own at each of these? what are the benefits of splitting up the points you want to purchase among 3 resorts? Do you need to have 3 different contracts or can you add on points from different home resorts? I'm so sorry for all the questions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter