Does WDW use their male entertainers in female roles?

She looks masculine to me too. Is she a man? Maybe - maybe not. Would Disney use men in female roles - or vice versa? Probably - why not? I can't understand why some are offended by this - or think it to be 'mean', though. :confused3

I still say that biologically, some of them may be men, but they could consider themselves women. Traditionally, Disney has been very accomodating to the alternative lifestyles and sexualities.So, I could see someone that most of us would consider male in a female role. Not to save money, or for staffing, but just because they are trying to be nondiscriminatory.

I know it seems like I'm harping on this but I knew a couple of transgendered people in college..opened my eyes, let me tell you.:)

Or, it could just be that thick makeup and the wigs..

As long as they are entertaining and doing their job, doesn't make a bit of difference to me whether it's a man, woman, or mouse.

I don't think the OP intentionally meant to be offensive.

There was a thread awhile back along the lines of "would you wear this to Disney" with pics of guests. Those same guests could very well have been on the Dis.

Fact is, as soon as you, I, or a CM at WDW steps outside of our house, we're subject to having our photo taken and posted on the internet (with comments of whoever happens to view them). Like it or not, offensive or not, right or wrong, that's the world we live in.
That thread is on the board right now, flourishing. It would be nice to see Disney come across it while they are pursuing this board for free feedback, see how 'friendly' this place is, posters laughing and making fun of people. :eek: :sad2:

That thread is on the board right now, flourishing. It would be nice to see Disney come across it while they are pursuing this board for free feedback, see how 'friendly' this place is, posters laughing and making fun of people. :eek: :sad2:

Just saw that thread but there was another one too, maybe about a year ago, where the pics in question were uploaded onto the boards.

I went to the website of the thread that's going now and it made me a little sad. So NOT what WDW is about you know? Like a little magic was just stolen.

Those of you that "just know" the sex of these performers, how many of you work in Entertainment at MK? Have any of you ever spoken to these performers? Do you work with them?

Sounds to me like at best the info you just "know" is at best second or third hand.

My best friend was a CP and her roommate was a man and played Maleficient. A female character. And yes I met him and yes I am sure and yes I have a picture posing with him at MNSSHP. Apparently it is because Maleficient has to be SO tall and they can use the green makeup to disguise it.

My point is, if Disney has that face character that is a female being played by a male, it is certainly a possibility that it carries over to parades. And is a reasonable question to ask...

Sorry for all the flames OP, seems like you were just curiouser and curiouser... ;)

If the person is a guy and has no problem doing it I see no reason anyone else would ...

GOT EMM!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but those are obviously men in drag. I would seriously like to see these "facts" that some are bringing up that Disney would not use men in female roles. Obviously Disney will try to pinch every penny they can, so there's no doubt in my mind that they would use men for their female roles if it meant saving a buck.

You can't possibly have anything to do with the industry if you think that men are so plentiful in Disney entertainment that they perform in drag to make up for the paucity of women. Those bad acrylic wigs make anyone wearing them look, up close, like a cabaret performer from 1975. And water and heatproof stage makeup is horribly unforgiving. It's all meant to be seen from far, far away.

My best friend was a CP and her roommate was a man and played Maleficient. A female character. And yes I met him and yes I am sure and yes I have a picture posing with him at MNSSHP. Apparently it is because Maleficient has to be SO tall and they can use the green makeup to disguise it.

My point is, if Disney has that face character that is a female being played by a male, it is certainly a possibility that it carries over to parades. And is a reasonable question to ask...

Sorry for all the flames OP, seems like you were just curiouser and curiouser... ;)

When was this? We spoke with Maleficent (out of charcater) last fall and she is female.

Eh I now know that Disney does in fact use males for the female roles for their parades, but parades only. I have confirmed this with several CM's.

I honestly thought the same thing when we saw those performers back in August. No problem with it, just wondered if they preferred to perform as women, rather than men.

Also agree that everyone in those awful wigs and pancake makeup looks horrid! Disney should try not to scare the children!

Very entertaining thread. As long as the performer can make me believe the magic I don't care what 'accessories' they come with.

As for hurting someone's tender feelings- actors have had their appearance nitpicked for as long as there have been public performances. If they can't stand the floodlights they ought to stay off the stage.

all i am gonna say is those are some big thick slovacian or german women. they do have manly features but they still look like women. awesome post though... makes u think hahahahaha:goodvibes

I'm gonna clear all this up right now. These are women (or who feel that they are women). I saw this parade, I have heard them talk, I have seen them in the tunnels. Trust. 2nd, Malificent and the stepsisters............True. I believe now that the stepsisters are all female (worked with a CM who used to be friends with them, and he said they transfered to all girls) but Malificent is able to be both. Usually Fant is where the males are placed but it doesn't matter, if it looks right, the show goes on. But MOST to ALL of face besides her are of gender.
Have a Magical Day!!!
Goofster18

Going to add fuel to the fire....
when we were there last May we watched Stitch's supersonic show and one of the female performers looked like a man in drag. But I seriously think it was b/c of the amount of make up this girl had on and they had bright colored wigs. Seriously, I think it is just all the make up and stuff. However, all the other girls looked incredibly sexy for a Disney show lol. :rotfl:

I used to know a guy who played an Ugly Stepsister. I will admit out of costume he was an ok looking guy. However he made a great Ugly Stepsister.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Sorry, I just found that hilarious!

Do you have any pics? :rolleyes1

I think they all look pretty good (I only wish I was that pretty) and I think it's just the wigs that give them an overly costumed look and I think that is what people are sensing. It's that same "something is different" feeling that you get when you see a cross dresser or celebrity impersonator or what ever.

That said, we were at MK a week ago and watching Spectro-Magic parade and noticed the pink dancing ostriches. One of them had to be a guy based on the arms and legs and the movements. There is just a difference between how a woman moves when dressed in white tights, pink ballet slippers and an ostrich suit compared to a guy. My husband said it, as I thought it: That one is a dude.

And then we had a little fun discussing it:

"Hey Eric, Katie is out sick today so suit up, my man, you're an ostrich tonight."

"Awww, man, again?"

"Dude, you are the only one here that fits the costume who knows the steps."

"Oh, alright."

All kidding aside, we thought it was kinda cool that so many talented people care so much about making that parade click. It was great!

I dunno-- the person on the far right in the OP's photo seems to have a more male body type than female: broad shoulders, muscular arms, narrow hips....

I'm just sayin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter