Does WDW buy photos from visitors?

Hey Arctic Wild Man, how was the vacation? All I have heard was that Wasilla had 100 mile an hour winds, closed the schools and even derailed the train, did that really happen? My shop is up on the hill at Hyer Road behind Wolverine Supply, you know, CONSTEEL. I hope its still standing!
I'm flying out of Orlando tomorrow, been here 4 weeks, got my project started and got some results, plus I had a nice vacation, first stop for me is Mugshots and an MGD back home. BTW I have been wearing MY Carharts almost every day, LOL, people down here wear parkas when its 60 degrees! hah, thats swimming weather (was for me at Blizzard Beach anyway...) Didn't get a really good tan cause its been mostly clowdy here, guess I'll have to work on it when I hit Hawaii next winter. Seen all of Orlando I care to see for at least two years and the only Disney was Blizzard Beach and Disney Quest.

Heres hoping for an early breakup and a bigger PFD...::yes::

Oh yeah!! We had a pretty good wind storm! Not as bad as last year, but still no fun. Schools were closed and everything (didn't hear about any train derailing, but it wouldn't surprise me if one did). I didn't loose mass amounts of shingles this time, but my ridge vent was almost completely ripped off.

We'll have to get together for a brewski when you get back.

Unless you have a release from Disney, you cannot sell any pictures you take in the parks. You don't own the copyrights, they do. Here is how it works.

Let's say you see a house you like to take a picture of to sell. You stop and take two pictures of it, picture one you were standing on the owners property when you took it, picture two you were standing in the street when you took that one. You can copyright picture two because you were not standing on the owners property. You do not own or can own the copyright to picture one because you were standing on the owners property. You can try to get the copyright from the owner.

The same principle applies to the Disney pictures. Because you were on their property when the pictures were taken, they own the rights. And there is no other way to take pictures other than to stand on their property.

Of course if you never mentioned where the tiger was...

I sure do like that picture! Let us know if you ever do find an outlet for it.

Originally posted by manning
Unless you have a release from Disney, you cannot sell any pictures you take in the parks. You don't own the copyrights, they do. Here is how it works.

Let's say you see a house you like to take a picture of to sell. You stop and take two pictures of it, picture one you were standing on the owners property when you took it, picture two you were standing in the street when you took that one. You can copyright picture two because you were not standing on the owners property. You do not own or can own the copyright to picture one because you were standing on the owners property. You can try to get the copyright from the owner.

The same principle applies to the Disney pictures. Because you were on their property when the pictures were taken, they own the rights. And there is no other way to take pictures other than to stand on their property.

I think you'd have to PROVE that one to me. That doesn't follow any of the rules I have to abide by for the site I run.

As an ADMIN for an NFL team site, I deal with copyright issues on a daily basis. The NFL copyright issues only deal with images/pics/videos owned by the NFL itself. Example....I have to have the permission of the NFL to show any official pictures of players, videos of games, or trademarked images such as the NFL logo or team emblems. If, however, I take a picture of a stadium or a player at a game, I am not bound by any trademark laws and the NFL cannot tell me how to use those images.

Unless there is some small print on my annual passes that says any and all pictures I take are the property of Disney, (or the tiger I took a picture of is "trademarked" ;) ), they do not have any legal right to tell me what I can and cannot do with my pic.

You're absolutely right, ArcticWildMan. I work for a newspaper and one of our best selling photographs of all time was taken by a staff photographer at the local zoo of a polar bear and her cub. He was on zoo property (obviously) and, trickier still, on the job for our paper. Technically the copyright on the photo was The Salt Lake Tribune, since he was working. However, it got such a huge response, the editor gave the photographer a cut of the profits we made in selling prints. The total was in excess of $100k! I think if there had been any question to copyright from the zoo, we'd have hear about it then.

Our photogs regularly take photos at the Jazz games which they can't sell, but that's because of the NBA regulations. However, we can sell a picture of the newspaper page with the photograph on it. Weird, huh? When Karl Malone was MVP a few years back, our store actually made t-shirts with our front page on it, which was dominated by his photo. But when we had asked about making t-shirts with his photo only (even though we'd taken it), we were told absolutely no. The logos of the teams are copyrighted, which is the stickler. That's why you'll see tv ads with NFL players where they just wear the right color jersey, but no logo. That means the company wants the endorsement but doesn't want to pay the NFL for rights to use the team name or logo.

As I have learned in my college media law class, and from 10 years at a newspaper, copyright is a VERY complex issue.

(So which team is it, Arctic?! I'm utterly jealous of your drive to work, too. Alaska is our favorite place on earth!)

First, GREAT pictures! :)

As to the copyright issue, doesn't Disney have a copyright on all their park icons, rides, characters, etc, etc? If they hold the copyright on say, the castle, you can't SELL pictures of the castle without permission. Same would go for the characters, correct?

Now to have a copyright on all the animals, I don't think it goes that far, unless a Disney trademarked item is in the picture. So, I'd think the tiger picture is free and clear! :)

Does this sound right? I know that 'Unofficial' guides can NOT have pictures of Disney copyrighted items in their books. So no Castle, resort or other park photos in those...

I think all of the WDW stuff may fall under "public domain".

Just like actors who cannot sue when their photo is taken and sold because they are so popular. They are expected to have the knowledge they will be photographed.

There was a change to the law in 1990. Any building built on or after 1990 has to be photographed from a public domain spot. I believe Disney property is considered private. I could be wrong since I'm not a lawyer.

Just looked at your photos there great but I have one question...

How many miles does your dog sled get to the pound of whale blubber?:jumping1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter