Does Walt Disney's alleged racist/anti-union history hurt your theme park experience?

As for the "everyone was that way" statement, I do feel that way. My Gma is from the South (Arkansas) and let me tell you, she's VERY set in her ways! Most of the things she says in public make us all visibly cringe...it's bad, she can be very very rude and most times we have to warn people ahead of time that she can be that way. I know she didn't vote for Obama, and she wouldn't have voted for Hillery either....well, maybe she would have Hillery but no way Obama! People WERE that way, it was others who got tired of it and stood up for themselves and others that changed things.

Poor management and greed - with unions and company leaders, I guarantee that it's two sides of the same coin. Whatever good intentions unions started out with, unions are rife with the same corruption and self-serving biases as that of industry leaders.

Thank You!!!!
:thumbsup2

If Walt was racist, why did he have his company produce Song of the South which starred an African American as Uncle Remus? I actually wonder if today's Disney exec's aren't racist because they refuse to market the film. The film was taken off the market about 25 years after Walt Disney died. It was never shown in theaters after the 1970's, nor has it ever been released on VHS or DVD. The Disney company is apparently worried about being accused of being racist for dispalying the Uncle Remus likeness anywhere, even on Splash Mountain, but The Song of the South is based on a post civil war work of American literature, The Uncle Remus Stories. I feel that if displaying Uncle Remus' likeness, or releasing Song of the South on DVD is racist, then so is displaying any likeness of Martin Luther King Jr, or any african american for that matter.
That being said, Walt Disney was a tremendous artist with a fantastic imagination. No one can argue that. I read Who was Walt Disney to my class, which is an unofficial biography of Walt geared toward children. The book is not a Disney product, but it uses many sources about Mr. Disney as references. The book speaks of Roy settling the strike with Disney employees because Walt didn't understand thier views and feelings in the matter. His relations with the employees was never right again. It sounded like Walt really only related well with children. From this information, I infer that Walt was such a brilliant and creative person, that his personal relation skills with other adults were awkward at best, but not racist.
As a Disney fan, I am able to put knowledge of controversy aside and enjoy Disneyland, Disney World, and Disney films for what they are designed to be.... FUN! Walt or his company may not be perfect, but look at what we would be missing without him and the magic of Disney. The world would have a lot less fun in it.

If Walt was racist, why did he have his company produce Song of the South which starred an African American as Uncle Remus? I actually wonder if today's Disney exec's aren't racist because they refuse to market the film. The film was taken off the market about 25 years after Walt Disney died. It was never shown in theaters after the 1970's, nor has it ever been released on VHS or DVD. The Disney company is apparently worried about being accused of being racist for dispalying the Uncle Remus likeness anywhere, even on Splash Mountain, but The Song of the South is based on a post civil war work of American literature, The Uncle Remus Stories. I feel that if displaying Uncle Remus' likeness, or releasing Song of the South on DVD is racist, then so is displaying any likeness of Martin Luther King Jr, or any african american for that matter.
That being said, Walt Disney was a tremendous artist with a fantastic imagination. No one can argue that. I read Who was Walt Disney to my class, which is an unofficial biography of Walt geared toward children. The book is not a Disney product, but it uses many sources about Mr. Disney as references. The book speaks of Roy settling the strike with Disney employees because Walt didn't understand thier views and feelings in the matter. His relations with the employees was never right again. It sounded like Walt really only related well with children. From this information, I infer that Walt was such a brilliant and creative person, that his personal relation skills with other adults were awkward at best, but not racist.
As a Disney fan, I am able to put knowledge of controversy aside and enjoy Disneyland, Disney World, and Disney films for what they are designed to be.... FUN! Walt or his company may not be perfect, but look at what we would be missing without him and the magic of Disney. The world would have a lot less fun in it.

when in atlanta visit the wren's nest, home of joel chandler harris, author of the uncle remus stories

I was under the impression that the reason the movie hasnt been released on dvd (Im pretty sure it was on Vhs or a copy was released somewhere because you can watch the entire movie on you tube and download it from bit torrent if your into stealing movies) because of the racist term used during the second briar rabbit story. Where briar fox makes a little person out of tar and Uncle Remus calls him something offensive that I wont repeat here. I also thought he wasnt in splash moutian because none of the live action characters are, if you have just ridden splah youd never know there was even a live action story with the charactors in the briar patch. Uncle remus's words are used in the line que of the ride so he is sort of there in spirit. I agree that the movie should be rereleased, but I can understand their hesitation.

I was under the impression that the reason the movie hasnt been released on dvd (Im pretty sure it was on Vhs or a copy was released somewhere because you can watch the entire movie on you tube and download it from bit torrent if your into stealing movies) because of the racist term used during the second briar rabbit story. Where briar fox makes a little person out of tar and Uncle Remus calls him something offensive that I wont repeat here. I also thought he wasnt in splash moutian because none of the live action characters are, if you have just ridden splah youd never know there was even a live action story with the charactors in the briar patch. Uncle remus's words are used in the line que of the ride so he is sort of there in spirit. I agree that the movie should be rereleased, but I can understand their hesitation.

I had a cat named that.....she was a black cat, I named her Tar Baby because she was my bottle fed baby and the color of tar. It had no negative meaning for me at all, it simply meant she was my black baby kitty cat. Things like that only have the meaning/negative conotation that society gives them, if people don't react negatively then it's not a bad thing to say. kwim? I did shorten it tho, she actually answered better to Tarby instead of Tar Baby so that's what I called he most of the time.

I have that movie, on DVD. DBF gave it to me for Christmas last year, he got it from Canada and it's definitely a DVD copy of a VHS tape, you can tell because of the lines that run occasionally and the crackles the sound track has. My girls and I watch a lot, it's a great movie. So much fun to watch!! Uncle Remus had great stories and we love to hear them, personally I see nothing negative in that movie and if I did it's a chance to talk to my girls about racism and why Gma is how she is (she would think of Tar Baby as a very negative but OK thing to say to someone, and the rest of us would cringe and try to shut her up LOL), how people have changed over the years and how important it is to respect someone for who they are not how they look. If that makes sense. :) But yes, I wish they would rerelease it, I'd buy it for sure!! It was one of my faves as a child and I never saw anything racist about it then, I still don't. And no Uncle Remus isn't in the ride, but Brer Fox & Brer Bear still catch Brer Rabbit, and they still toss him into the Briar Patch don't they. :)

I had a cat named that.....she was a black cat, I named her Tar Baby because she was my bottle fed baby and the color of tar. It had no negative meaning for me at all, it simply meant she was my black baby kitty cat. Things like that only have the meaning/negative conotation that society gives them, if people don't react negatively then it's not a bad thing to say. kwim? I did shorten it tho, she actually answered better to Tarby instead of Tar Baby so that's what I called he most of the time.

I have that movie, on DVD. DBF gave it to me for Christmas last year, he got it from Canada and it's definitely a DVD copy of a VHS tape, you can tell because of the lines that run occasionally and the crackles the sound track has. My girls and I watch a lot, it's a great movie. So much fun to watch!! Uncle Remus had great stories and we love to hear them, personally I see nothing negative in that movie and if I did it's a chance to talk to my girls about racism and why Gma is how she is (she would think of Tar Baby as a very negative but OK thing to say to someone, and the rest of us would cringe and try to shut her up LOL), how people have changed over the years and how important it is to respect someone for who they are not how they look. If that makes sense. :) But yes, I wish they would rerelease it, I'd buy it for sure!! It was one of my faves as a child and I never saw anything racist about it then, I still don't. And no Uncle Remus isn't in the ride, but Brer Fox & Brer Bear still catch Brer Rabbit, and they still toss him into the Briar Patch don't they. :)

I totally agree with you its not what you say its how you say it. (on a side note I have a black cat named edward....partly cause hes black partly because he doesn't like to be touched. I debated changing his name to kuzko, since he answers to nothing anyway :guilty:) I was simply saying that I didnt think that movie and not releasing it made Disney racist, merely that not wanting to seem racist was the reason for them not releasing it. I also have it on Dvd, but its a copy of the Vhs. I know that in Japan you can get it on Dvd, but its in Japanese of course.

I had a cat named that.....she was a black cat, I named her Tar Baby because she was my bottle fed baby and the color of tar. It had no negative meaning for me at all, it simply meant she was my black baby kitty cat.

Ohh-- what a great idea. I have a black kitty we bottle fed too. I couldn't tell if he was a boy or girl when we got him so we had all kinds of ideas including Whoopi, Kunta Kinte, Blackberry, Congo- (he looked like a gorilla)
Harvey110x83.jpg

What we ended up with is completely opposite, we named him Harvey after Jimmy Stewart's big white bunny. We love that movie and the name seemed to fit the little Pooka anyway...:)

Well considering that I don't think he was racist at all, and I'm anti-union as well, no, it doesn't hurt my theme park experience. :rotfl2:

If any of you haven't read "How to Be Like Walt" by Pat Williams, you should.

Ohh-- what a great idea. I have a black kitty we bottle fed too. I couldn't tell if he was a boy or girl when we got him so we had all kinds of ideas including Whoopi, Kunta Kinte, Blackberry, Congo- (he looked like a gorilla)
Harvey110x83.jpg

What we ended up with is completely opposite, we named him Harvey after Jimmy Stewart's big white bunny. We love that movie and the name seemed to fit the little Pooka anyway...:)

Awww what a cutie!!!! I couldn't tell what sex Tarby was either, she was soooooooooo tiny when I got her. Weird thing, my DD21 found a kitten, about 4 or 5 weeks old when she found her, she too was black and had to be bottle fed. DD was probably 13 when she found her....she named her kitty Storm because she looked like storm clouds. :) She figured Storm could work for a boy or a girl kitty. She still her Stormie, she took her to Idaho with her when she moved.

And what I wonder is: has this happened to anyone else and has it affected your love of the Disney brand?

...But I ain't gonna lie: if that documentary is true, the individual Walt Disney seems like someone whom I would not care to meet and whose work I would not care to support with my cash.

What do you guys think?

I have read many things (books, articles, etc...) about Walt. many of them portray him as having many characteristics that I would rather not think about someone I admire having.

What I have decided over the years is the following:

I have a love for most things Disney. I have ever since childhood. This in no way means that I love the man that started all of it.

I love the stories (most of which were adapted from elsewhere).
I love the characters (again, most of which were adapted from elsewhere).
I love the Parks (whiichh really have nothing to do with Walt's world views)

As a visionary, Walt was a genius. I embrace the results of that and enjoy them.

As a person, Walt was... well, I never met him, so I truly don't know.

I am a lifelong Disney fan. That does not mean I am a lifelong Walt Disney fan.

I hope you are able to separate the two as I have and continue to enjoy your love for Disney, the product, not the man.

- Dreams

I have read many things (books, articles, etc...) about Walt. many of them portray him as having many characteristics that I would rather not think about someone I admire having.

He wasn't perfect, but I don't think he was bad at all. :confused3

Well, as much as I hate to keep this thread going, I did have an interesting development last night- I'm a mommy! My boss called around 10pm asking me if I'd take a kitten wh's mom had been hit by a car- not sure of the story since it was so late and her mom was in the hospital so she was a mess. I'd say she's about 5 weeks, the eyes are still blue but she's toddling around very gingerly, bottlefeeding. I know she's a she this time because she is a little torbie/tabbey with calico mixed. I'm thinking Daisy, Tiger Lily or maybe Hilary because she is just such a cat. Ive never bottlefed a kitten as capable as she lol. I'm charging the camera's batteries so I can get a pic of her but I work at 3 so probably wont be till tomorrow. Meanwhile the usual- life turned upside down, husband talking up a storm about how we need to take a pic of her for craigs list to say she'll be available to adopt in awhile, yet not willing to give up holding the baby, caling to check on her (lol) I'm tired and my back hurts(probaby from sitting on the floor encouraging the pee pee process--she finally went-- YAY.:cloud9:

Well, as much as I hate to keep this thread going, I did have an interesting development last night- I'm a mommy! My boss called around 10pm asking me if I'd take a kitten wh's mom had been hit by a car- not sure of the story since it was so late and her mom was in the hospital so she was a mess. I'd say she's about 5 weeks, the eyes are still blue but she's toddling around very gingerly, bottlefeeding. I know she's a she this time because she is a little torbie/tabbey with calico mixed. I'm thinking Daisy, Tiger Lily or maybe Hilary because she is just such a cat. Ive never bottlefed a kitten as capable as she lol. I'm charging the camera's batteries so I can get a pic of her but I work at 3 so probably wont be till tomorrow. Meanwhile the usual- life turned upside down, husband talking up a storm about how we need to take a pic of her for craigs list to say she'll be available to adopt in awhile, yet not willing to give up holding the baby, caling to check on her (lol) I'm tired and my back hurts(probaby from sitting on the floor encouraging the pee pee process--she finally went-- YAY.:cloud9:

Awwww I can't wait to see her!!!! I vote for Tiger Lily. :)

Just wanted to clarify it was my bosses Mom in the hospital, the momma kitty's gone. I took some pictures today- that process absolutely floored her- she couldn't figure out just what I was doing. I got a really nice one while she was sitting very still- of course she was peeing on the bed at the time...it's all good.
I think it's going to be Daisy that sticks, her voice is more similiar to a duck than a kitty lol. She's also kind of a little nut- not dignified at all...:-)

Too cute!!!! Not the bed peeing of course but the voice she has. DD21s Stormie has a squeaky meow, it never really came in. When she meows it's more like meeeee....oooowwwww LOL with pauses between each letter. lol

What I have decided over the years is the following:

I have a love for most things Disney. I have ever since childhood. This in no way means that I love the man that started all of it.

I love the stories (most of which were adapted from elsewhere).
I love the characters (again, most of which were adapted from elsewhere).
I love the Parks (whiichh really have nothing to do with Walt's world views)

As a visionary, Walt was a genius. I embrace the results of that and enjoy them.

As a person, Walt was... well, I never met him, so I truly don't know.

I am a lifelong Disney fan. That does not mean I am a lifelong Walt Disney fan.

I hope you are able to separate the two as I have and continue to enjoy your love for Disney, the product, not the man.

- Dreams
I am STILL a lifelong Walt Disney fan. He was prickly to be sure, but I don't think he was racist, sexist, etc. He didn't like unions but he had his reasons, and he was afraid of communism as many were in that time.
I remember the day he died and I cried. He was a genius and an original. He set in motion so many things that are now accepted as normal but were revelutionary in his day.

I hope you are able to separate the two as I have and continue to enjoy your love for Disney, the product, not the man.- Dreams

To me one can't really separate the two other than in todays times since Walt is no longer with us. Disneyland was built through Walts visions without which Disneyland and the other parks simply would not exist. When Walt Died the Disney company lost much of its direction. There was no other go to person during the construction of WDW (read up on what happened at WDW after Walts death). Roy took over some aspects but he made it clear he did not want to run the show and was ready to retire. Walt was Disney and what we have today is built from his visions and can't be separated.

To me one can't really separate the two other than in todays times since Walt is no longer with us. Disneyland was built through Walts visions without which Disneyland and the other parks simply would not exist. When Walt Died the Disney company lost much of its direction. There was no other go to person during the construction of WDW (read up on what happened at WDW after Walts death). Roy took over some aspects but he made it clear he did not want to run the show and was ready to retire. Walt was Disney and what we have today is built from his visions and can't be separated.

I completely agree that "what we have today is built from his visions." I also agree that "Disneyland was built through Walts visions without which Disneyland and the other parks simply would not exist. When Walt Died the Disney company lost much of its direction." I do not think that this means Disneyland or the Disney magic has a connection to what Walt's political / religious / social views were.

To me, that's where there is a separation. There is the business man / visionary and there is the personal side of the same man. I love the Disney films, art, Parks, concept, vision. This does not mean that the personal views of the artistic, visionary behind the magic I have grown to love is someone I would want to be friends with. There is a difference between a person and their creations.

I haven't seen anything about Walt to make me think I wouldn't have wanted to be friends with him. He seems like he was a great man. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter