"Does this ride have drops?" March 2015 TR *NEW* 1/17 COMPLETE - Final Thoughts

So I will have to get back to doing replies either later tonight or maybe tomorrow. It's been kind of hectic around here, but I wanted to get in a quick TR update and a life update! Life update first...DD is here! She came early Sunday morning on 8/2, 8 days before her due date. DH and I had been stressing about when she would come because I had mistakenly given us a VERY narrow window for her to come early and still have our upcoming October trip covered by my maternity leave. She arrived at just the perfect time! Our trip will not be affected, and I won't miss DS's first day of Pre-K, which was another worry of mine. Anyway, here's a couple pictures of our newest arrival!

dd1
by disneymom1024, on Flickr

dd2

ddds1
Of course we are all enjoying the heck out of our little princess! DS is also really enjoying being a big brother, and has loved being able to help as much as possible. He is also loving that so much family has been coming to visit!

Something else I have been meaning to link to is my in progress Pre Trip Report for our not one but two upcoming Disney World trips! We are going back in just a couple months in October for DS's birthday, and again in February on a big family trip. So if you're interested and haven't already stumbled across it, here's the link: A Tale of 2 Trips

Now on to the update. Sorry it's a little short!

Day 2 Continued: Sunday March 1st

When I left off, we were getting off of the carousel and the rain was starting up again, so we were on the hunt for something indoors. Well, wouldn’t you know, Journey of the Little Mermaid is right here and indoors, so why not?

DL 02-089

DL 02-090

DL 02-091

DL 02-092

DL 02-093

DL 02-094

DL 02-095
“Oh, Eric…”

DL 02-096

DL 02-097

DL 02-098

DL 02-099

DL 02-100

DL 02-101

DL 02-102

DL 02-103

DL 02-104 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

DL 02-105

DL 02-106

DL 02-108

When we came out, it was raining even harder. We threw our ponchos on and covered DS in the stroller, thinking maybe we could just head back to Cars Land and run from shop to shop until the rain stopped, but that was apparently a popular idea because the shops were so packed they were impassable. So instead, we decided to leave the park and head back to the room for a rest.

UP NEXT: Back to Cars Land

Congratulations on your new princess! princess: So glad to see that DS has taken so well to his big brother role. :thumbsup2

I am impressed you're already on here doing updates! :worship: And I had no idea you had a PTR, but I'll check that out next.

You always have the best pictures. Looking at those Little Mermaid pictures might actually be better than looking around while on the ride. Everything is so clear and I notice things I don't in person.

Sorry that you had to head out instead of hanging out in Cars Land. Hope you have a good rest break, though.

Congrats on the new princess!! She is beautiful :) And I'm glad DS is enjoying his new sister!

I commend you for even posting a TR update when you have so much other stuff going on!

I love the Little Mermaid ride, so colorful and fun. Sorry that the rain got in your way though!

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. She is beautiful. What a lovely photo with her big brother! Have you chosen her name? Enjoy your new expanded family.

It's so hard not being able to have control of the timing. They had suggested that I could have an elective c-section and when I was overdue I was trying to remember why I had said no I want a natural delivery. I tried suggestions to bring on labour but never did develop a liking for raspberry tea! My experience has been that this age gap between children has worked well. You will soon be back in the swing of having a baby in the house. Is Paxton looking forward to starting school?

Well, now DD has arrived, but I too was doing everything I could to jump start labor on my own! Saturday I went for a nice long walk around the playground while DS played, and I ate lots and lots of pineapple. lol I didn't think anything would happen because I went to bed feeling fine, but early the next morning, DD was definitely ready to come! I'm glad I didn't end up having to be induced on Monday and she came in her own time.

Paxton is definitely looking forward to starting school. In fact, today was his last day at daycare and this afternoon we went to visit his teacher and check out the classroom. He is so ready! He has a few more days at home before he starts later next week.

Just finished reading all your updates and am all caught up now!

Good advice on not letting the kid be the tour guide until the very end of the trip. I can see how that might cause a problem after Day 1.

Clearly we were not thinking! It's fine for the end of the trip, but disastrous at the beginning!

Autopia looks so much cooler than the Tomorrowland Speedway. I don't know why, but it just does.

I actually agree on that one. I think maybe because it's more lush than the big open track at Tomorrowland Speedway.

No attractions in Adventureland? That had to be hard!

It was, especially so in DL where they are all so great!! Plus Adventureland is just fun to walk around and experience.

I couldn't help but laugh at the story of the girl who stayed in her Dumbo for an extra ride. I definitely don't condone that kind of stuff, but I'm impressed she got away with it.

I have never seen such a thing happen before, but sure enough, it did! She had some guts, that's for sure.

Paxton had never been to Carsland before? I guess since I knew you'd been there I just forgot that Paxton wasn't with you that time. I remember from all your past TRs how big a fan of Cars he is, so that had to be so awesome for him to experience. I loved how he had to stop at everything when he came across it. Had to take it all in!

Nope this was his first time. The last time he had gone to DL he was only 19 months old and the park was still covered in construction walls for Cars Land and Buena Vista St. It opened a few months later and DH and I were able to experience it when we went on our own for our anniversary. He was totally in awe of the whole area!

So many DISers have been going to DL lately that I'm very quickly becoming a DL fan. You all are making me wish I could plan a trip out there myself!

I absolutely recommend it if you can make it happen! There's just something so amazing and nostalgic about it, despite the fact that my first visit was as an adult. It's like you can feel Walt's influence there which makes it so much more of an amazing experience!

Very impressed that you found some time for an update!

Once again - congratulations. She gets prettier every day!

Yay for still being able to have maternity leave cover your October trip. How much time do you have off? I swear I had my kids at the worst time - they kicked you out of the hospital in 24 hours if you weren't a C/Section (and it didn't matter if you delivered at 11:45 pm - you were OUT the next day) and God forbid you weren't back to work in 12 weeks. I was told I could lose my job if I didn't return in 12 weeks (when Nick was hospitalized with RSV). :sad2:

I hope things are better these days. :rolleyes2

Love the pictures from Little Mermaid. Is the right exactly the same? It sure looks like it!

Ok, finally got time to read through everything and comment...

If it wasn't already clear that you were pregnant for this trip... :lmao:

Right?! It was all about food at that point!!

Um... You didn't get Italian Cheese Bread??? :eek: That's the best thing on the menu!!!!!

I honestly can't say I ever remember getting that?!?! We usually just get the hot & ready pizzas with the crazy bread. I guess next time we come across one we will have to try that.

Um... well, it pretty much meets my expectation of the front line Disneyland CM's. :rotfl:

Haha you are absolutely right about that one! Good thing I didn't have anything important I needed to know, like would I be able to leave property on time!! lol

Uh oh... good theory, but I'm sorry it came back to bite you!

At least now we know better!

Clearly, he has a good eye. Good pictures even on a phone. I noticed the mouse crossing signs, but I never even noticed the mouse hole tunnels.

Well played, little girl. Well played!

::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

Originally I had thought we might wait to go to DL again until next year when DD was a little older just because it would be super easy with 2 kiddos. But the opportunity presented itself and who were we to say no?!

He certainly looks excited!

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

If nothing else, he is a complete goofball!

:thumbsup2 That really is a fun ride! I'm glad he liked it.

DH and I only took the time to ride once near the end of our anniversary trip and we wished we would have tried it sooner because we both really enjoyed it! This was only the first of many times DS would insist on riding this one.

That's a great picture! Good idea. :thumbsup2

Loving your report so far! Disneyland is definitely on our list, may need to get a trip out there right before baby turns 2, so we can take advantage of the last free flight before we have to pay for 4 flight lol. The whole idea of handing over the power makes me chuckle, because I know Zavier would have the same exact reaction Paxton did. It seems if we let him do something one time, that is now the golden rule. :)

Thanks!!

I know just what you mean. It is always a good idea to take advantage of free flights and free park admission! Hopefully you can make it out there.

We definitely learned our lesson about giving him too much power over decision making. We did eventually manage to reign it in, but those first couple of days were tough!

I love the idea of uncovered tea cups, I don't know why it appeals to me so much to me but it just sounds so cool. I think that is what I would enjoy most about visiting Disneyland is just experiencing all the little differences and seeing all the theming there as well. Ya, park hopping looks effortless there, I could get used to that. We haven't park hopped since we had Zavier just because it seems like more effort than we would want, especially since we are normally onsite and would be relying on buses.

I am not a fan of the teacups attraction on principle, but I do enjoy the DL version with the open top better. It is more visually appealing and more Fantasy-like to me than the covered version at WDW.

The park hopping is a dream! It is great no matter what, but especially with little ones. It's so nice not to have to worry about transportation between, and it makes it so easy to go with the flow instead of having to plan which park you will be in at all times.

I think I will have the same expression when I get to see Radiator Springs for the same time. It is reactions like that, that make an entire trip worth it. (and also make me want to pull out the credit card and get a trip booked haha) I love the brother announcement...very cute.

We were so glad we had left Cars Land a total surprise, because it made his reaction even more enjoyable for DH & I!

Hope you are doing well, your little girl will be here any minute.

What a great moment! It seems like such a well themed area. What a perfect place for a preschool boy!

Oh he was definitely in heaven! He absolutely loved that he had "walked into" his all time favorite movie. How often do you get to do that? It was a dream come true for him.

Love this picture - so cute!

How funny! It seems like a really fun ride. And I loved the pictures from the queue - especially all of the signs from Mater's Tall Tales. The boys love those!

Paxton likes all of the shorts too! I hadn't seen them the first time DH and I got to check out Cars Land so it was cool to go back and understand all the little jokes in the queue since seeing them.

Great family selfie!

Thanks!

Congrats on the new princess!! She is beautiful :) And I'm glad DS is enjoying his new sister!

I commend you for even posting a TR update when you have so much other stuff going on!

I love the Little Mermaid ride, so colorful and fun. Sorry that the rain got in your way though!

Thank you! We are absolutely loving having our new little addition around the house. DS is very eager to help as much as possible, which has made it an easier transition.

Haha thanks! Luckily I had a bit saved on a Word document that I had gotten ahead on. Hopefully I have some time to keep writing so I can just copy & paste the updates when I have time.

The Little Mermaid ride is one of my favorites! We rode it a bunch of times on this trip, too. The rain was a bummer, especially considering how California is known for its beautiful weather. We had a tough first couple of days battling the rain but then it got better.

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. She is beautiful. What a lovely photo with her big brother! Have you chosen her name? Enjoy your new expanded family.

Thank you! Her name is Delilah. :) We are enjoying lots of time together at home this week before DS starts school this week.

Very impressed that you found some time for an update!

Once again - congratulations. She gets prettier every day!

Yay for still being able to have maternity leave cover your October trip. How much time do you have off? I swear I had my kids at the worst time - they kicked you out of the hospital in 24 hours if you weren't a C/Section (and it didn't matter if you delivered at 11:45 pm - you were OUT the next day) and God forbid you weren't back to work in 12 weeks. I was told I could lose my job if I didn't return in 12 weeks (when Nick was hospitalized with RSV). :sad2:

I hope things are better these days. :rolleyes2

Love the pictures from Little Mermaid. Is the right exactly the same? It sure looks like it!

I was lucky that I had written ahead a bit in a Word document so it wasn't too much to update. But I was all caught up to the photos I had uploaded, so I'll need to do a bit of writing once I get more uploaded!

I have 12 weeks off, and we will be visiting Disney World the last week of my leave. Actually, we get home Sunday and I have to go back the very next day! Not ideal, but I was so worried about her coming too early and having to reschedule or even cancel our trip, so I'm definitely not complaining.

We at least had just the right amount of time in the hospital. She was born early Sunday morning and we went home Tuesday around lunch time. That is really terrible that you had to worry about going back to work when your baby was hospitalized! The maternity leave policies in this country are terrible. They recently changed how leave works, so it is totally different than when I had Paxton. Now we get short term disability for 6 weeks, and once my doctor sees me at my post partum visit and clears me to go back to work, I have to apply for 6 more weeks of "bonding time" during which I have to use my paid time off. To me, if I have the paid time off to use, why do I have to APPLY for more time with my baby?! So ridiculous!

Thanks! Aside from the queue, the ride is exactly the same. I think it might be one of the only, if not THE only, dark ride that is in both parks and is the same.

Congratulations! She is so beautiful. And it looks like Paxton is a very proud big brother! I'm glad the timing worked out so well with your trip!

Love the Little Mermaid pictures. Ariel is my favorite princess so I'm a big fan of anything Little Mermaid. Is it almost identical to the WDW version?

Congratulations again! And I'm impressed that you're updating at all!

Congrats! She's adorable. Happy to hear that your October trip is covered. Paxton and your new DD are just adorable together, and glad to hear that he's enjoying being a big brother!

It's definitely impressive that you were able to update at all with how busy you must be, and can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip, as well as see some more pictures of your DD!

Congratulations on the new addition. She looks beautiful! Sorry that you had rain in California. That can't be very common!!

New reader and I completely forgot everything I was going to comment on after I saw the pictures of your new daughter. She is beautiful! Congratulations!!

Congratulations! She is so beautiful. And it looks like Paxton is a very proud big brother! I'm glad the timing worked out so well with your trip!

Love the Little Mermaid pictures. Ariel is my favorite princess so I'm a big fan of anything Little Mermaid. Is it almost identical to the WDW version?

Congratulations again! And I'm impressed that you're updating at all!

Thanks so much! Paxton is definitely enjoying being a big brother and helping out around the house. I was soooooo relieved the timing worked out for the trip too. When I realized I hadn't given myself a very big window for her to come early, I started panicking a little! Luckily she cooperated perfectly.

It is exactly the same as the WDW version aside from the queue, which is just some chains going back and forth inside of the ride building. Ariel is one of my favorite princesses too, so I love that ride on both coasts!

Thanks! I was lucky I had some saved on a Word document that hadn't been posted yet, so it made it quite a bit easier just having to cut & paste.

Congrats! She's adorable. Happy to hear that your October trip is covered. Paxton and your new DD are just adorable together, and glad to hear that he's enjoying being a big brother!

It's definitely impressive that you were able to update at all with how busy you must be, and can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip, as well as see some more pictures of your DD!

Thank you! He has definitely taken well to the role of big brother. And we finally started our official Disney World countdown now that we know the trip should not be affected, so that has added a level of excitement to the house!

I was lucky that I had a bunch written ahead on a Word document so it made updating quite a bit easier! Plus DH took the week off to help, so I have had a little bit of free time here and there between nursing sessions. lol

Congratulations on the new addition. She looks beautiful! Sorry that you had rain in California. That can't be very common!!

Thanks, Pete!

I'm sure rain in California is not common, which is what made it all the more frustrating! Luckily it only really affected us at the very beginning of the trip and we had great weather the rest of the week.

New reader and I completely forgot everything I was going to comment on after I saw the pictures of your new daughter. She is beautiful! Congratulations!!

Aww, that's too sweet. :) I'm glad you're joining in!

Congrats on your new arrival! She's so precious. I've really been enjoying all the pics of her on IG.

Boooooo on the rain but I mean, hooray for a ride on Little Mermaid! Always a great idea!

Joining in, can't wait to read more and learn from your trip! Congratulations on your new little one!

Congratulations!!!! She's beautiful!

I'm glad that DS is handling things so well and is a good big brother. I'm glad he's enjoying the friends and family coming to visit rather than seeing it as her taking some of the attention away! I hope he maintains his excitement in being a big brother.

Enjoy your maternity leave and the time with your family.

Congrats again on your little sweetie! I love seeing pics of her and hearing how Paxton is doing - I guess the family visitors would be fun for him as well! :) Glad he is enjoying her! Hope you are doing great and feeling great, and so glad her arrival worked out perfectly with your plans.

Ariel's ride was closed on our DL visit, but it looks pretty much the same as WDW - glad you were able to get out of the rain for a bit and then headed out.

Congrats on your new arrival! She's so precious. I've really been enjoying all the pics of her on IG.

Boooooo on the rain but I mean, hooray for a ride on Little Mermaid! Always a great idea!

Thanks! It's pretty impossible not to just keep taking pictures of her and DS, they are so sweet together.

The rain was terrible that day, but it's not so bad when you can duck into Little Mermaid. :)

Joining in, can't wait to read more and learn from your trip! Congratulations on your new little one!

Welcome!

Thank you so much, we are so in love already. :)

Congratulations!!!! She's beautiful!

I'm glad that DS is handling things so well and is a good big brother. I'm glad he's enjoying the friends and family coming to visit rather than seeing it as her taking some of the attention away! I hope he maintains his excitement in being a big brother.

Enjoy your maternity leave and the time with your family.

Thanks, Andy!

So far, I think he has been adjusting well and not having too much jealousy. DH and I are doing our best to keep him involved and to spend a little one on one time with him in the few days he has been home with us before school starts.

Congrats again on your little sweetie! I love seeing pics of her and hearing how Paxton is doing - I guess the family visitors would be fun for him as well! :) Glad he is enjoying her! Hope you are doing great and feeling great, and so glad her arrival worked out perfectly with your plans.

Ariel's ride was closed on our DL visit, but it looks pretty much the same as WDW - glad you were able to get out of the rain for a bit and then headed out.

Thanks! He has loved having my mom here with us this week. She has taken him to do something fun every day to get him out of the house for a couple hours to give me some time with the baby and so he doesn't get bored. And then tomorrow he starts Pre-K! Bittersweet, but I'm glad I'm home during all of this time of adjustment for him as his routine will be different than what he was used to with daycare.

It's definitely the same as the WDW ride, so you didn't miss much. It was a great way to escape the rain! And DS loves it as much as I do, so it wasn't the last time we ended up on this ride.

When I left off, we had just gone under the sea with Ariel and friends and came out to the rain still coming down hard, so we decided to leave the park for a break. We walked out to the bus stop and were back at our car in just a few minutes to make the short drive back to the resort. DS and I passed out on the bed for a couple hours and woke up around 3:15 to start getting ready to head back. It seemed like in the time we were there, most of the rain had passed over so we were hoping for a pretty dry evening, especially since this was one of the few nights we would have the opportunity to see the fireworks at Disneyland.

Another drive to the bus stop and one more bus ride later, we were back inside of DCA a little before 4 pm. I put in my notes that we went back to Cars Land to waste time until they could use their FP for Radiator Springs Racers, so at some point in the morning we had picked up a set of those. We wanted to check out more of the other shops besides Sarge’s to see what we could find. We didn’t end up buying anything then, but we had some ideas of what to go back for later.

We also went to check out Luigi’s. Since the ride is closed now to make way for something else, we just used it as a photo op.

DL 02-110

DL 02-111
While we were hanging out there, a CM came over and noticed DS’s Cars hat and t-shirt, so he chatted with us a bit and gave DS a Cars Land button with DJ on it.

DL 02-112

I feel like not as many WDW CM’s do stuff like this anymore, so it was a nice little pixie dust moment for DS who was very excited about the button.

DL 02-113

DL 02-114

DL 02-115

DL 02-116
Finally it was time for them to go use their FPs for RSR. This was probably the only ride that I was bummed to miss out on being pregnant! It’s so fun and unique, and something that is of course exclusive to the west coast so it’s not like I could just say, well I’ll ride it next time we’re in WDW. Plus, it was DS’s first real “big boy ride” of the trip, and I was sad to miss out on his reaction.

DL 02-117

DL 02-118

DL 02-119

DL 02-120
He looks a little unsure about this!

DL 02-121

DL 02-122

DL 02-123
by disneymom1024, on Flick

DL 02-124

DL 02-125

DL 02-126

DL 02-127

DL 02-128

DL 02-129

DL 02-130

DL 02-131

DL 02-132
by
disneymom1024, on Flickr

DL 02-133

DL 02-134

DL 02-135

DL 02-135-2
The best I could get of them in their car

While DS didn’t come off crying, I don’t think the fast part at the end sat well with him! Whenever we asked for the rest of the trip, he didn’t want to ride it again. DH said he seemed to enjoy the indoor ride through part at the beginning though.

DL 02-137
We were ready to head on to something else, but on the way out we stopped to see Red the fire engine. I have to say, the cars you can meet here are just awesome! Unlike the ones at DHS that just honk and rev their engines, these talk, their eyes move, they drive, and different parts of the vehicle move. While waiting in line, we saw Red lift up his ladder in back and honk the Happy Birthday song to someone he was meeting before us!

DL 02-139

DL 02-140

Once we said goodbye to Red, we decided we would go over to A Bug’s Land. But of course, we had to get a few photos of Radiator Springs on the way out. It’s really hard not to take any as you are walking around!

Dl 02-141

Dl 02-142

Dl 02-143

As we went the back way from Cars Land to Bug’s Land, we saw Mater coming out to get to the meeting area! It was kind of funny because there were some pre-teen girls that freaked out when they saw him and asked the CM if they could take a picture with him. He said no because Mater needed to get to the Cozy Cone, and one of the girls yelled out, “But I already have my selfie stick ready!” SO SO SO glad that we won’t have to deal with those things next time we are in the parks!!!

Dl 02-144
Continued in next post...

Finally, we got over to Bug’s Land and DS wanted to start with Heimlich’s Chew Chew Train so we got in the very short line. We were on in less than 5 minutes.

Dl 02-146

Dl 02-147
I absolutely LOVE the themeing in this area, especially being under the cover of the clovers!

Dl 02-148

Dl 02-149

Dl 02-150

Dl 02-151

Dl 02-152
The best part of the ride because it smells like cookies!

Dl 02-153

Dl 02-154

Dl 02-155
Paxton’s favorite part… “Is candy corn a vegetable?”

Dl 02-156

Dl 02-157

I swear, it will take you longer to scroll through those photos than the actual ride takes! Lol It’s so incredibly short, I would feel terrible if anyone waited more than 5 minutes to ride this. After our very brief train ride, we went over so DH and DS could ride Tuck and Roll’s Drive ‘Em Buggies, also known as the bumper cars.

Dl 02-158

Dl 02-159

Dl 02-160

Dl 02-161

Dl 02-165

Dl 02-167

He really had a blast driving the bumper cars with DH! Last year for his birthday we went to a Halloween party at City Park in New Orleans where they have a bunch of kiddie rides, and he was so disappointed that he was just a little too short to ride the bumper cars. I’m pretty sure this made up for it though!

Next we headed over to Francis’ Ladybug Boogie. It’s a teacups type spinning ride but on a figure 8 track instead of spinning independently. I waffled over whether or not I should ride, but decided to go for it. It ended up being a little faster and rougher than I remembered so it was the last time I rode.

Dl 02-168

Dl 02-169

Dl 02-170

Dl 02-171

Dl 02-173

We rounded out Bug’s Land with Flik’s Flyers. DS was excited to ride on one side by himself, although you can’t tell from the expression on his face in this photo.

Dl 02-177

Dl 02-178

Dl 02-179
That’s a little better

Dl 02-180
There we go!

After finishing up in Bug’s Land, we were ready to head out of DCA and back to DL for the night. We started walking towards the front of the park, but stopped when we saw the Red Car Trolley, and it was about to leave! I forgot to mention, this day was Dapper Day in the parks, so we saw a lot of people dressed up and had to wait a few minutes for some photos with the Trolley because all the dapper people were posing with it first.

Dl 02-184

Dl 02-185

The trolley was headed to the front of the park, so we hopped on for a ride. This is probably one of my favorite things that they offer at DCA! It really makes you feel like you are in old time California!

Dl 02-187

Dl 02-188

Dl 02-189

Dl 02-190

After hopping off the trolley, we were exiting DCA for the night and heading over to Disneyland!

UP NEXT: Disneyland at night

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter