"Does this ride have drops?" March 2015 TR *NEW* 1/17 COMPLETE - Final Thoughts

[GALLERY=]image.jpeg [/GALLERY]

Just checking in to say we are having a great time on our quick weekend trip to say farewell to the Osborne Lights!

Lucky You! I hope they find a way to bring them back once all the construction is done...

Just checking in to say we are having a great time on our quick weekend trip to say farewell to the Osborne Lights!
Everyone certainly looks happy in this picture! I hope the drive went smoothly and you guys had a great time!

Wow, Miniland is pretty amazing and extensive! I can't imagine all of the painstaking Lego building needed to make all of that!

Aquarium was a nice freebie.

Hope you had a wonderful Osborne Lights trip - great family picture!

Didn't notice the guy on the commode when we were at Legoland last time - we'll have to look for that one! I think my mom will get a real kick out of the lego Minilands. We'll be there for hours.

We went to a Sealife Aquarium in Arizona last time we were there. Nothing better than a mall-chain aquarium! Actually, this one had this backstage tour you could take for like $5. It was short but pretty neat. It's funny because it seemed like all the young employees there were inspired to interest in the Sea by Finding Nemo.

Leave it to DH to notice something like that! lol

Yeah, it was definitely not the greatest aquarium but okay for free, I suppose! I guess that's a better influence from Finding Nemo than all those kids who tried to flush their fish down the toilet so they could get back to the ocean!!

Lucky You! I hope they find a way to bring them back once all the construction is done...

Oh man, I so hope they find a place to put them. Seeing them in person again, they were even better than I remembered and I can't believe they are getting rid of them!

Everyone certainly looks happy in this picture! I hope the drive went smoothly and you guys had a great time!

The drive was not nearly as awful as I'd pictured in my mind, and we were all happy we made the decision to take this road trip to see the lights!!

Aww..what a great family picture. Hope you had an awesome trip :)

Thanks! It was awesome!

Wow, Miniland is pretty amazing and extensive! I can't imagine all of the painstaking Lego building needed to make all of that!

Aquarium was a nice freebie.

Hope you had a wonderful Osborne Lights trip - great family picture!

I feel that way about every single one of these Lego masterpieces. I can't even imagine what goes into creating them!

The trip to see the O Lights was SO worth it!! Thank you :)

Day 6: Thursday March 5th

The next morning, we were back to our Disneyland fun and ready for our Magic Morning! For those that don’t know, this is an early entry option available at Disneyland Park for guests who purchase a 3 day park hopper ticket or Southern California City Pass. On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays the park opens an hour early for the Magic Mornings. Those with eligible tickets can choose one of those days to use their one entitlement to enter the park early. We had decided to use ours today, which meant we could get into the park at 9 instead of 10.

After having leftover donuts for breakfast, we left the resort at 8 am and had to wait a bit at the parking garage for it to open at 8:30. We parked in the Pinocchio lot, which is the ground level. I had never parked there before so it was kind of nice because we were even closer to the trams, which we took over to the entrance plaza and arrived at the Disneyland gates just before 9 am. When we arrived, people were already being let inside and held at a rope at the end of Main Street, so we joined the masses.

DL 06-046
by disneymom1024, on Flickr

DL 06-047 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Finally, 9 am arrived and we walked through Sleeping Beauty Castle to get to Fantasyland, where we intended to spend our early hour doing as much there as we could. First up, we wanted to ride Alice in Wonderland.

DL 06-048

DL 06-049
The line was very short, but as we got all the way up to the front, it broke down! So we left the line and I decided to take DS on Dumbo while DH wanted to take advantage of the early entry to ride Space Mountain. However, when he got there, he saw many other people had gotten the same idea in their heads, so the line was long and he decided to go over to Star Tours instead.

DL 06-050

DL 06-051

DL 06-052

DL 06-053

DL 06-054

Meanwhile, DS and I were enjoying a much more calm spin on Dumbo.

DL 06

DL 06-001

After Dumbo, we decided to take a bit of a faster spin on the Mad Tea Party, one of DS’s favorites! Luckily at this point he hadn’t really realized he could make the teacup spin faster than it does on its own. Unfortunately that’s no longer the case, but at the time, it was all good and I didn’t have to worry about getting too sick.

DL 06-004

DL 06-005

DL 06-006

DL 06-007

After the teacups, DS wanted to ride the Carousel so we did that next. That’s when DH finished up his Star Tours adventure and came through the Castle to meet us there and get a photo of us.

DL 06-055

DL 06-056

DL 06-011

Of course, we can’t be near the Carousel and skip out on trying to pull the sword from the stone…

DL 06-057

DL 06-058

He was still not worthy of removing the stone, so we decided to move on to another dark ride that we haven’t visited in a long time because it no longer exists at WDW: Snow White’s Scary Adventures.

DL 06-059

Although the ride is pretty much the same as the old WDW version was, the queue is quite a bit more interesting here!

DL 06-060

DL 06-061

DL 06-062

DL 06-063

DL 06-064

We tried Alice again to see if it was up and running, but no luck. DS even checked to see if the White Rabbit was home, but no answer at the door.

DL 06-010

Since Alice was a bust, we decided to go over to Tomorrowland and ride Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters. This way to Tomorrowland!

DL 06-065

DL 06-066

DL 06-067

DL 06-068

DL 06-069

DL 06-070

DL 06-071

Continued in next post...

Day 6 Continued: Thursday March 5th

DL 06-073

DL 06-075

DL 06-076

By the time we finished on Buzz, the park was opening for regular hours. We had definitely accomplished a lot in our one hour of Magic! Since the park was now fully open, DH made a run over to Frontierland to get us some FP’s for Fantasmic. This was new for us since in our past trips, no such thing existed. However, with World of Color down for refurb before the Diamond Anniversary celebration, the whole process for Fantasmic had changed. They offered FP’s for what I assume are better viewing locations with a dining package, but they also offered FP’s for pick up as a first come, first served at a kiosk, so we just picked up some of those as none of the dining packages appealed to us.

Fantasmic FPs in hand, we stopped for some pictures in front of the Castle.

DL 06-078

We were starting to feel adventurous, so we headed over to Adventureland!

DL 06-079

Our first stop was the world famous Jungle Cruise!

From the jungle, we next made our way to the Caribbean!

Looking at these pictures makes me miss the DL version of Pirates SO much! I love the longer ride, the double drops, the queue… Definitely the better of the two Pirates rides in my opinion!

After Pirates, we were feeling a little cartoonish, so it was time to head somewhere else.

UP NEXT: The Big Cheese

Our trip is just over 2 months off - you are getting me psyched! We are thinking of switching to the So Cal pass - if we had gotten into the DVC villas at the Grand Cali, I would've wanted a 4 day ticket, but we are thinking maybe doing 3 days at Disney, a day at LEGOLAND and a day at Sea World. We would loose our last morning at DLR, but really it would only be about 3-4 hours. I am concerned about how much is going to be shutdown. (No DLRR, Tom Sawyer or boats, Aladdin, Fantasmic! and who knows what else will be shut down.)

Looks like you had fantastic weather, too!

The line was very short, but as we got all the way up to the front, it broke down!
Oh no...

I'll just add this as evidence to my theory that rides rarely work at Disneyland immediately when the park opens. :headache:

Luckily at this point he hadn’t really realized he could make the teacup spin faster than it does on its own. Unfortunately that’s no longer the case, but at the time, it was all good and I didn’t have to worry about getting too sick.
I'm tall enough that this works, but I always just sit in the teacup with my knee against the bottom side of the wheel in the middle and I lock my leg in there pushing against the bottom side to hold it so that they can't turn it. I don't know how we always end up getting a broken teacup, but I'm sure they'll figure it out one of these days... :rolleyes1

Looking at these pictures makes me miss the DL version of Pirates SO much! I love the longer ride, the double drops, the queue… Definitely the better of the two Pirates rides in my opinion!
::yes:: I definitely agree. And I like the DL Jungle Cruise more too. A nice start to the post magic morning day with a couple of classics!

Ah, that stinks that Alice broke down before you got on it!

Love the pics on the tea cups and carousel!

You sure got a lot in during your extra morning hour!

Great picture in front of the castle :)

Looking at your Pirates pictures makes me sad that it was closed during our trip! One day I will hopefully get to ride it!

First off, love your CoP shirt!

That's a bummer that Alice broke down as you had gotten to the front. That was one ride we missed out on as the line was always very long - wish we had thought to do that first thing during our magic morning. Oh well.

Seems like you did get quite a bit done during that hour and worked out to split up a bit - though too bad the line for Space Mountain was so long.

I agree with you 100% about Pirates, so much longer/better at DLR - my understanding is they did the WDW version quickly/on the cheap so it is a great exhibit of how giving the Disney Imagineers the time and money they need makes a big difference!

Our trip is just over 2 months off - you are getting me psyched! We are thinking of switching to the So Cal pass - if we had gotten into the DVC villas at the Grand Cali, I would've wanted a 4 day ticket, but we are thinking maybe doing 3 days at Disney, a day at LEGOLAND and a day at Sea World. We would loose our last morning at DLR, but really it would only be about 3-4 hours. I am concerned about how much is going to be shutdown. (No DLRR, Tom Sawyer or boats, Aladdin, Fantasmic! and who knows what else will be shut down.)

Looks like you had fantastic weather, too!

Ooh, I'm so jealous you get to see all of the 60th celebration stuff!!! DH worked hard to convince me to take this past Thanksgiving trip to say goodbye to the Lights, and now I'm working on him to plan a Disneyland long weekend just him & I before the 60th stuff goes away next year. lol

I know that frustration. SO MUCH STUFF was down when we went in preparation for the anniversary! It was really frustrating.

Once we got past the rain in the beginning of the week, we enjoyed some great weather!!

Oh no...

I'll just add this as evidence to my theory that rides rarely work at Disneyland immediately when the park opens. :headache:

I'm tall enough that this works, but I always just sit in the teacup with my knee against the bottom side of the wheel in the middle and I lock my leg in there pushing against the bottom side to hold it so that they can't turn it. I don't know how we always end up getting a broken teacup, but I'm sure they'll figure it out one of these days... :rolleyes1

::yes:: I definitely agree. And I like the DL Jungle Cruise more too. A nice start to the post magic morning day with a couple of classics!

It's definitely frustrating when you waste those precious early morning moments on rides that end up being down!

That's pretty genius, but I don't know if my legs will be strong and/or long enough to attempt this. Maybe if DS is the only one spinning but if DH is getting in on it too, I'm doomed! lol

The DL Jungle Cruise is great, and I even really love the entrance to the queue more than WDW's too!!

Ah, that stinks that Alice broke down before you got on it!

Love the pics on the tea cups and carousel!

You sure got a lot in during your extra morning hour!

Great picture in front of the castle :)

Looking at your Pirates pictures makes me sad that it was closed during our trip! One day I will hopefully get to ride it!

It was a minor annoyance, mostly because it is wasting those precious early morning minutes. I was just hoping we'd end up getting on at least once because the wait time always seemed fairly long compared to the rest of the attractions in Fantasyland.

We were definitely productive that morning!!

I hope one day you are able to go back & experience Pirates. It's so great!! What a bummer it was closed for your trip.

First off, love your CoP shirt!

That's a bummer that Alice broke down as you had gotten to the front. That was one ride we missed out on as the line was always very long - wish we had thought to do that first thing during our magic morning. Oh well.

Seems like you did get quite a bit done during that hour and worked out to split up a bit - though too bad the line for Space Mountain was so long.

I agree with you 100% about Pirates, so much longer/better at DLR - my understanding is they did the WDW version quickly/on the cheap so it is a great exhibit of how giving the Disney Imagineers the time and money they need makes a big difference!

Thanks! DH & I both have one. Couldn't resist when we saw them released. ;)

The line was always long for us too, so I thought the Magic Morning would be the way to go. Darn the luck that it ended up being down!

The splitting up strategy has continued to work out for us on these most recent trips now that DD is along for the ride. I guess it was good practice at the time. lol

That totally makes sense that they threw the WDW version together more quickly. They can really do so much better with time & money, that's for sure!

After Pirates, we crossed the park over to Toontown to be there when it opened with the goal of meeting Mickey Mouse before his line got terribly long. Mission accomplished!

DL 06-109

DL 06-110

DL 06-112

DL 06-114
by disneymom1024, on Flickr​

Of course, we couldn’t skip the rest of Mickey’s house, so we took our time moving through and letting DS check it out. This was something he had absolutely loved on our first trip to Disneyland when he was about 19 months old. It’s different than the one that used to be in WDW because nothing is behind barriers like the WDW version was. You can interact with everything inside of the house.

DL 06-117

DL 06-118

DL 06-119

After playing around in Mickey’s house, we decided to split up. DH went to use the FP he had gotten for Space Mountain while I took DS on his new favorite ride, Roger Rabbit. I seriously think this was his favorite attraction in all of DL. He was so disappointed when I told him we couldn’t ride it at WDW because it didn’t exist there.

DL 06-012

DL 06-013

Meanwhile, DH was checking out this view from the Space Mountain queue.

DL 06-120

DL 06-121

DL 06-122

DL 06-123

I’m so disappointed to have missed out on this ride because it is SUCH an amazing roller coaster!! Just another reason to plan a return trip to Disneyland sooner rather than later.

By then we were ready for lunch, so we texted back and forth and decided to meet up at Village Haus restaurant to eat.

DL 06-124
Crossing under the monorail track along the way

DL 06-125

DH wanted to save room for snacks later on, so he got a kids burger meal, same as DS. I decided to get the grilled chicken sandwich that comes with Swiss cheese, Arugula, and Basil-Roasted Garlic-Parmesan Aioli. It also comes with mushrooms but I left those off. It was SO good! I wish they had a similar sandwich at WDW because I would totally get it every time!

After lunch, we split up again. DH had a FP for Indiana Jones so off he went to use that.

DL 06-126

DL 06-127

DL 06-128

DL 06-129

DL 06-130

DL 06-132

While he was doing that, DS and I decided to try out something that was new to both of us and explore Tarzan’s Treehouse. This used to be the Swiss Family Treehouse, but it’s been Tarzan themed every time we’ve gone to DL, we had just never made time for it. I figured it was something DS would enjoy, and I was right. He loved it!

DL 06-014

It has great views of Adventureland and New Orleans Square from the top!
Continued in next post...

DL 06-036

DL 06-038

DL 06-041

DH met us over there and got a much better photo of the Treehouse than anything I got on my P&S camera! Lol

DL 06-133

From there, we decided to take a relaxing ride on the Railroad. We got on right there at the New Orleans Square station, which was convenient.

DL 06-135

DL 06-137

DL 06-138

DL 06-139

DL 06-140

DL 06-141

I had read in another TR that there are dinosaurs on the train, and of course we were interested in that because like most little boys, DS is obsessed with trains and dinosaurs, so what could be better? We got to the area of dioramas and I was getting excited because we had kept this part a secret from DS.

DL 06-142

DL 06-143
Well, good thing we hadn’t mentioned it because the area with the dinosaurs was closed and the windows all blacked out! What a disappointment. But we all still enjoyed our ride on the train, and took the round trip.

DL 06-144
Main Street station

Once we were finished on the train, we decided to do a little shopping on Main Street.

DL 06-146

DL 06-147

We were ready to head over to DCA for the afternoon, so we made our way across the plaza.

DL 06-148

DL 06-149

DL 06-150

There was a Disney Jr. Live on Stage about to begin at 2:15 so we went over there to wait for that show. It was a nice time to sit down for a minute, reapply some sunscreen, and have a snack while we waited.

DL 06-151

The best thing about the theater here was the bench running the length of the walls so I could sit there instead of trying to sit on the floor, which I knew would be horribly uncomfortable! It’s bad enough any other time but pregnant, it was pretty much out of the question.

DL 06-153

DL 06-155

DL 06-156
Where’s Toodles??

DL 06-157

DL 06-158

DL 06-159

DL 06-160

DL 06-161

DL 06-163

DL 06-165 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

DL 06-167

DL 06-168

DL 06-170

DL 06-173
Gotta get those gold doubloons!!

DL 06-174

DL 06-176
Running around with his streamers from the show!

At this point, our afternoon went a little off the rails, but I think I will save that for the next update!

UP NEXT: Can we turn this afternoon around??

Nice to hear about your Magic Morning. I was just thinking about how to best utilize that time, as we're finally planning our trip (Feb. 5-10).

We tried Alice again to see if it was up and running, but no luck. DS even checked to see if the White Rabbit was home, but no answer at the door.
Does anything ever happen at the White Rabbit's door?

I cannot wait to go on the DL Pirates again! It's been 10 years and I miss that version!

Of course, we couldn’t skip the rest of Mickey’s house, so we took our time moving through and letting DS check it out. This was something he had absolutely loved on our first trip to Disneyland when he was about 19 months old. It’s different than the one that used to be in WDW because nothing is behind barriers like the WDW version was. You can interact with everything inside of the house.
Izzy would love this, I'm sure. Do they still have Minnie's house and does she meet there? I have vague memories of doing this 10 years ago.

I’m so disappointed to have missed out on this ride because it is SUCH an amazing roller coaster!! Just another reason to plan a return trip to Disneyland sooner rather than later.
I love Space Mountain in general and I've heard the DL version is better, PLUS it will be Hyperspace Mountain during our visit, so I can't wait. Hope you make it back to ride soon!

The best thing about the theater here was the bench running the length of the walls so I could sit there instead of trying to sit on the floor, which I knew would be horribly uncomfortable! It’s bad enough any other time but pregnant, it was pretty much out of the question.
That's good to know. Dug's back would appreciate that!

I love how easy it is to park-hop!

The DL Jungle Cruise is great, and I even really love the entrance to the queue more than WDW's too!!
::yes::

It’s different than the one that used to be in WDW because nothing is behind barriers like the WDW version was. You can interact with everything inside of the house.
Thanks for making this comment. I kind of thought that was the case but it has been like 20 years since I ever stepped foot in Toontown at WDW so my memory is a little fuzzy.

I took DS on his new favorite ride, Roger Rabbit. I seriously think this was his favorite attraction in all of DL. He was so disappointed when I told him we couldn’t ride it at WDW because it didn’t exist there.
::yes:: That is a terrific ride!

Meanwhile, DH was checking out this view from the Space Mountain queue.
Hey! That's just about the exact spot where I destroyed my phone! :faint: :rotfl2:

After lunch, we split up again. DH had a FP for Indiana Jones so off he went to use that.
I love that ride...

I had read in another TR that there are dinosaurs on the train, and of course we were interested in that because like most little boys, DS is obsessed with trains and dinosaurs, so what could be better?
Exactly!

Well, good thing we hadn’t mentioned it because the area with the dinosaurs was closed and the windows all blacked out!
Uh oh. Well, I'm definitely glad you didn't tell him then. He'd have been disappointed if he knew what he was missing!

Fun Magic Morning! You guys got so much accomplished!

I love the meet in Mickey's house! Such a great background and a fun place to explore!

Your lunch does sound really good!!

Uh oh...hope the afternoon turns around!

Nice to hear about your Magic Morning. I was just thinking about how to best utilize that time, as we're finally planning our trip (Feb. 5-10).

I feel like the Magic Mornings are a lot less attended than EMH, at least in our experience, but that could have been time of year. Although they are not headliners, rides like Alice, Nemo Subs, and the Storybook Canal Boats are low capacity so they build up lines quick and are a good use of Magic Mornings or just rope drop in general.

Does anything ever happen at the White Rabbit's door?

Unfortunately not. Just a cute photo op!

I cannot wait to go on the DL Pirates again! It's been 10 years and I miss that version!

It's the BEST!!

Izzy would love this, I'm sure. Do they still have Minnie's house and does she meet there? I have vague memories of doing this 10 years ago.

Yes! Minnie's house is interactive too and she meets at the end by a little tea party set up. I think we ended up doing it the next day so I'll have pics. Hopefully before you leave for your trip. lol

I love Space Mountain in general and I've heard the DL version is better, PLUS it will be Hyperspace Mountain during our visit, so I can't wait. Hope you make it back to ride soon!

The DL version is waaaaaaay better!! I'm trying to work on DH to take an adults only weekend before the 60th stuff disappears, but not sure I'm going to be successful. lol I can't wait to finally get back and get on Space again! What's the Hyperspace about? I haven't looked into it at all, just heard about it.

That's good to know. Dug's back would appreciate that!

It was definitely a back saver for me too!! I was having a lot of back problems this pregnancy, and I was also afraid once I got down on the ground I'd never get back up! :rotfl:

I love how easy it is to park-hop!

Easily one of the best parts of Disneyland trips. :thumbsup2

::yes::

Thanks for making this comment. I kind of thought that was the case but it has been like 20 years since I ever stepped foot in Toontown at WDW so my memory is a little fuzzy.

You're welcome!

::yes:: That is a terrific ride!

I loved Who Framed Roger Rabbit as a kid, and could probably recite it from memory if needed, so I concur.

Hey! That's just about the exact spot where I destroyed my phone! :faint: :rotfl2:

Sorry to bring up such a bad memory! lol

I love that ride...

Me too! It's so awesome. Yet another one I was bummed to miss out on this trip.

Exactly!

Uh oh. Well, I'm definitely glad you didn't tell him then. He'd have been disappointed if he knew what he was missing!

I was REALLY glad we had kept it quiet. If I had promised dinosaurs on the train and didn't deliver, it likely would have been catastrophic!

Fun Magic Morning! You guys got so much accomplished!

I love the meet in Mickey's house! Such a great background and a fun place to explore!

Your lunch does sound really good!!

Uh oh...hope the afternoon turns around!

Toontown at DL is really fun and interactive, way better than the WDW version had been. The best example of that is Mickey & Minnie's houses. They are so fun! And make for a great meet & greet location too.

It was probably the best thing I ate while we were there. And I usually don't stray too far from the Disney QS staples of burgers, pizza, and nuggets so I was glad to have "branched out" lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter