• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does this backpack exist? Would love some help!

chocolatemint

researcher extraordinaire
Hi everyone! I have spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to find the "perfect" (for me) backpack for the parks. Honestly, I don't think I'm asking for any strange combination of features!

Here is what I am looking for:

Waterproof or nearly so
Side pockets for water bottles
Doesn't have a flap
Minimal number of external pockets (for security)
Pocket in the shoulder strap for a smartphone
Cool to wear in the heat (mesh back?)
Non-chafing shoulder straps
Easy access to pockets to get wallet out at stores
Color that isn't super dark
Not huge in size (will be carrying lunch and baby gear but I'm not trekking the Himalayas)

Any ideas? I really appreciate your help!

Thanks!

When my kids were younger I used a Hurley backpack that I bought in Costco. It worked great. It didn't have the phone holder though, but met the rest os your requirements.

I have the Eddie Bauer Sling Pack. It's only $30. It has a mesh back, one shoulder crossover with pocket for cell phone, side pockets for water bottles, the strap is padded for comfort. It does not state that it is waterproof on the site, however, I have taken mine on Splash Mountain and have had no problem with water getting into the bag or soaking it. I think there's only about two pocket on the outside, but I don't even use those for security reasons. This was seriously the best purchase I made for our last trip, it's not too big but held everything I needed it to. http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/p...ategoryName=EB&viewAll=n&pg=1&cmPathInfo=null

Hi everyone! I have spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to find the "perfect" (for me) backpack for the parks. Honestly, I don't think I'm asking for any strange combination of features!

Here is what I am looking for:

Waterproof or nearly so
Side pockets for water bottles
Doesn't have a flap
Minimal number of external pockets (for security)
Pocket in the shoulder strap for a smartphone
Cool to wear in the heat (mesh back?)
Non-chafing shoulder straps
Easy access to pockets to get wallet out at stores
Color that isn't super dark
Not huge in size (will be carrying lunch and baby gear but I'm not trekking the Himalayas)

:lmao:

My suggestion is to prioritize what you want the most and go from there.

If ease and accessibility is a major point for you, go that route then think of ways to make it more secure. Put important items in a compartment then use a small 3 number padlock on that compartment. A luggage lock like this:

Travel-Sentry-Luggage-Lock_2605_r.jpg

It sounds like you want something kinda made for hiking...so maybe try somewhere like Dicks or Academy.

North Face Jester is a nice bag - $65

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13005898&cp=4406646.4413993.4414966.12669414

pDSP1-16027822dt.jpg

REI currently has the Isabella on sale:

http://www.rei.com/product/873617/the-north-face-isabella-pack-womens-2013-closeout

IsabellaWmDaypack_2012_main.jpg

Honestly - disney purchase with purchase is a backpack right now.... and it kinda meets all your criteria (with the exception of color..... it's black with colored mickey silouhette all over it)
I got one and I absolutely love it!!!! It's roomy and adorable!!
20 bucks with a 40 purchase.

I wish I could add a photo from the app....
Just my 2 cents.

You could also look at camera bags. Lowepro make some (and other brands too) that are really well padded on the straps and have the opening against your body so that there is little to no risk of access to the contents by anyone but the person wearing it.

The North Face Recon!!!
No shoulder holster for a phone, but you can buy one and put it on.
A nice backpack allows you to hold far more then you think you could without having a sore back at the end of the day.

The North Face Recon!!! No shoulder holster for a phone, but you can buy one and put it on. A nice backpack allows you to hold far more then you think you could without having a sore back at the end of the day.

I second the Recon. I have had mine for 16 years, and it is still in great shape! Comfortable to use, and holds a lot!

I have also looked many hours for very similar criteria. You will likely have to compromise - or tweak. As one other poster mentioned, you can buy add-on pockets - so buy one for the shoulder strap that can hold your phone. I don't know how water proof you need, but you can buy a waterproof pack cover in all sizes for added protection if you feel you need it during a downpour or Kali River Rapids.
We got a Deuter Go Go on clearance in (not dark) blue.

I don't know if this is of interest, but I love the Ameribag, healthy back bag. I have the medium and can get loads in it. Took it through security in no time flat, even with pockets. Can hold umbrella or water bottle or phone in side slot. Have gotten a spare pair of flips, shirt, and rolled up princess dress inside along with everything else we needed. Waterproof, too.

http://www.ebags.com/search/z/large~x-large/b/ameribag?crawl=no&origin=left_nav

Baggallini Messenger Sling, comes in a wide variety of colors, very lightweight, strap pocket, just a great bag. I have used it on multiple trips, still looks new!

Thank you all for the fantastic replies! I am researching each one of these. If you have any other ideas, please keep them coming.

Also, what search terms would I use for the backpack phone holster? Or do you have one you recommend?

And for those of you who recommend a sling bag -- I considered those, but won't my shoulder be aching by the end of the day?

Thank you all for the fantastic replies! I am researching each one of these. If you have any other ideas, please keep them coming.

Also, what search terms would I use for the backpack phone holster? Or do you have one you recommend?

And for those of you who recommend a sling bag -- I considered those, but won't my shoulder be aching by the end of the day?

Mine didn't because it was easy to switch shoulders & even wear the strap cross body if I wanted. It was easy for DH & I to switch off. I have a backpack LLBean. But didn't use it. Try one on... That's what I did. I actually got mine @ AAA travel. It wasn't hot & easily fit in many of the storage areas on attractions. The one that comes to mind was Kali rapids.

I think you can find your phone holster @ Amazon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter