Does the rock music hurt Shamu's ears?

Brendasue

Earning My Ears
Just back from WDW and Sea World. I love SW but was dismayed about the rock music with Shamu! Doesn't it hurt the performers "on stage" as well as the others in the holding tanks out back? I just really really didn't like this show at all and I love SW! Anyone else?

I feel the same as you. Whales have extremely sensitive hearing. Knowing how bad the music hurt my ears I can only imagine how it feels to the whales. I also love Seaworld but do not agree with the loudness of the music.

i dont think they play the loud music if it wasnt alright for shamu.

also shamu wouldn't perform if he wasnt happy

Personally, I happen to think the music is too dang loud during the night shows. Killer whales (and all cetaceans, really) are very sensitive to auditory stimulation. Their whole bodies function to receive sound according to some studies. I can't imagine how disorienting it must be for the animals when they have the rock music cranked so loud. Heck, it hurts MY ears. Would it be so bad to turn the volume down a notch?

At least they don't do it all year and play the daytime shows at a more reasonable volume.

From my own observations, I have noticed that the animals are a little more apt to misbehave during the night shows. Whether because they're tired / bored from a day full of other shows or annoyed at the music, who can say?

So, I completely agree with dolphinrescuegirl. I love Sea World, but sometimes they do things I don't like.

Thanks for the responses. Who should I write to express my dismay at the loudness of the music? Not just for Shamu but the other guys in the tanks behind them.

I don't know who to write to but I agree with the other posters...my kids love Shamu but when I asked them if they wanted to see Believe again this year, they said "no, it's too loud." :sad1: And that was based on the volume of an afternoon show.

I totally agree!!!!!

I am sooo sorry to know that SeaWorld has gone the way of overblown and ovewhelming music, fireworks, etc... That is wonderful for a park, but could they not keep this kind of thing seperate from the animals???? :sad2:

I thought that SeaWorld and Amhauser Busch 'respected' animals and wildlife... NOT!!!!!

It seriously puts SeaWorld on the level of lame Circuses who simply exploit the animals. :sad2:

It seriously makes me want to boycot.

My sister and I were discussing this again last night. We just want to see the animals at Sea World and not loud rock music, fireworks, etc. I love to see the interaction between the animals and the trainers and that is lost in this scenario.

My favorite show is Clyde and Seymore because it is so low key and respectful of the animals.

i emailed seaword asking them about this, and this is what they said

We assure you the killer whales are not bothered by the volume of the music at Shamu Rocks. If they were we would modify the show. Killer whale hearing if very different from human hearing because sound is transmitted differently in the water than it is in the air. This results in very different sensitivity levels for volume and pitch.

For more information about killer whale hearing please see: http://www.seaworld.org/animal-info/info-books/killer-whale/senses.htm

Sincerely,

The Ask Shamu Team
www.SeaWorld.org

"We assure you the killer whales are not bothered by the volume of the music at Shamu Rocks."

First of all Shamu does not spend all the time underwater, as we all know, and secondly, what about the people, especially kids!

These high-decibel shows are damaging to childrens hearing...it's one reason we hardly ever go to movies anymore as a family, either, because the volume is cranked up to ear-splitting loudness even in movies for kids.

Maybe most people are already partially deaf (from these very things), and that's why they make it so loud...a vicious circle.

:sad2:

This is one of the main issues I have with Sea World--nonsense like this. Ugh.

Yeah, sound DOES transmit different in air and in water. It travels FASTER underwater. Water is a fantastic conductor for sound. Not only can sound travel faster and farther underwater, it can also manifest itself as a far more physical force. Hence the studies on dolphins & whales being able to 'stun' fish with loud bursts of sound.

And yes, cetacean hearing IS different than human hearing. It's FAR more sensitive and covers a much wider range. They're going to be /more/ effected by the acoustics than we are.

I hate distortions of fact like this. =/

That's apples and oranges there. Have you ever been in a pool, underwater and had someone try to yell your name? Guess what? You can't hear a thing. Yes, sound transmits very well in water when it's generated in the water, such as if someone banged on the pool wall. It doesn't transmit well from air to water. Now if you complained about the accompanying vibrations bothering the animals, you could have a point I suppose. But if it really bothered the whales, they wouldn't perform.
I say if you don't like the noise, don't go to the show. SW isn't a zoo or even an aquarium, it's a theme park and that's no distortion of fact.

I say if you don't like the noise, don't go to the show.

We don't any longer, for that reason. See above.

SW isn't a zoo or even an aquarium, it's a theme park and that's no distortion of fact.

Anheuser-Busch also claims a strong role in protecting marine life as part of its mission - that's an integral part of how it markets SeaWord. Distortion of fact? :rolleyes2

Just because Sea World has morphed into a theme park (please do recall that Sea World got its start as an aquarium in the 60's and was still primarily driven by that direction until the push shifted over to competition on a theme park scale in the past few decades--by the way), does not mean that they are given carte blanche to distort the facts. If anything, it means they have an even greater responsibility to ensure that the public is educated about the animals in their charge.

By the way, both the Sea World and the Busch Gardens parks are accredited by the AZA.. which technically DOES make them zoos and aquariums. Albeit, in theme park form.

I don't buy your argument about hearing sounds above water. Cetaceans have a different spectrum of hearing, far more acute and sensitive than ours. Our senses are ill suited to use underwater, but theirs are designed for it.

If they have no trouble hearing the trainer's whistle underwater, why would you think they cannot hear pounding rock and roll music, heavy on the bass, and audible even outside of the park itself?

Ever been in a pool where a live rock band was playing nearby? (That's how I spent my fourth of July.) You can still hear the music underwater. Distorted, but it's still there.

And heck, the bass is so cranked at that show that you can physically feel it. So, it stands to reason that YES.. the animals can hear it also.

:rolleyes:

Good grief, there's a whole spectrum of frequencies and amplitude between bass from rock music and a trainer's whistle. I don't buy your assumptions about the "harm" the music causes to the Orcas. Hearing and harming are vastly different. Again, I assert that if it bothers you, don't go or go and hold up a "down with rock n roll - up with whales" protest sign with giant whale sized earplugs hanging from it at the show :rolleyes1
It doesn't matter a bit if AZA sanctioned it or not, the truth is that SW is a theme park. There can be no argument about that.
And yeah, I've never spent a Holiday underwater so I guess you have me there :lmao:
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I never said "harm," please don't put words in my mouth. I simply believe it is probably disorienting and unpleasant for the animals. I'd say that it is completely unnecessary for them to crank the volume that loud for guest enjoyment, so why put sensitive animals under undue stress?

And please don't confuse me with some "Free the Whales" loony. I've been a loyal Sea World supporter since 1985, even to the point of working for them at DC for a while a few years back. I love the parks and spend at least two weekends a month out there.

However, criticism and dissent is a healthy thing. I don't have to agree with EVERYTHING Sea World does to enjoy their parks. And I don't have to be silent about things I don't agree with, particularly since reactions and response from guests is an integral part of the decisions made about changes within the parks.

:sad2:

I'm just having fun with you, DixieDolphin. I'm sure you have your concerns about the music and I'm sure some folks agree with you, I just don't happen to be one of them. I enjoy the Shamu Rocks show, loud music and all :rolleyes:
Not all criticism and dissent is healthy sometimes it's just complaining.
I enjoy the parks too and am there fairly often. If I didn't, I wouldn't be there. Who knows, maybe we've crossed paths on occasion?

DTop-I think you are being way out of line and then having the nerve to say you are just having fun with DixieDolphin????

I don't read anyone complaining about the loud noise, only expressed that it has to be heard by the animals and wondering if it is detrimental.

Good grief, there's a whole spectrum of frequencies and amplitude between bass from rock music and a trainer's whistle. I don't buy your assumptions about the "harm" the music causes to the Orcas. Hearing and harming are vastly different. Again, I assert that if it bothers you, don't go or go and hold up a "down with rock n roll - up with whales" protest sign with giant whale sized earplugs hanging from it at the show :rolleyes1
It doesn't matter a bit if AZA sanctioned it or not, the truth is that SW is a theme park. There can be no argument about that.
And yeah, I've never spent a Holiday underwater so I guess you have me there :lmao:
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

:rotfl2: :lmao:
I'm sorry I don't have an opinion on way or the other but this was funny

DTop-I think you are being way out of line and then having the nerve to say you are just having fun with DixieDolphin????

I don't read anyone complaining about the loud noise, only expressed that it has to be heard by the animals and wondering if it is detrimental.
Ya, I was just having fun.
Out of line? I don't think so.:laughing: Since when is am I not allowed to post my opinion? If you don't agree with it, oh well, c'est la vie :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter