• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does the "Pack 50%" Rule Apply to Kids, too?

JuJuJasmine

Mouseketeer
So - i've got everything laid out for the trip! (insert squeal of delight here!). DH and I are traveling light, per the packing advice I've read again and again.
BUT...
what about the kids? My DS's (4&5) tend to be messy. they are "boy's boys" in the finest sense. I can easily go thru 2 tee shirts a day just trying to keep them "respectable"...

And since we cruising only after we hit WDW, I'm just not sure if I can make the 50% rule work. Doing laundry on my vacation is not my idea of a vacation.

Disney Moms and Disney Dads - I need you!
JuJu

Hi, JuJu--Your question made me laugh! I guess the only way to cut down 50% would be to leave one of the two boys at home!

Really, you could easily do a load of tees and shorts on the ship. I agree with the no wash on vacation theory, but sometimes you have to decide which is easier--more clothes in the luggage or one quick stop at the laundry.

Or, what I did (way back in '99) was do laundry the last night at the hotel. We stayed at Carribean Beach and the laudry was right by a pool, so I did about 3 loads at once while swimming!!

"Jules - why are you even worried about this, we can always just buy another tee shirt when we hit Nassau!"
Men just approach things so differently...
LOL!

I wouldn't even think about doing laundry on your trip! When you think about it, your boys are still small, so 2 of their shirts really equal 1 of ours!

On all of our Disney trips, I want every second to be filled with Disney Magic, and a trip to the laundry, no matter how quick it can be, doesn't fit in with my idea of "pixie dust fun"! I always pack what I think we will need, especially for my kids. I would rather have what I need, neatly packed, than stress over what I should have brought!

You are going to have a BALL!!!
Take care,
DeeAnn

I was very surprised at how many clothes my DS5 went through -- especially underware and tshirts. At least 2 pair of underware and 2 t shirts / day was the norm. His shower would be before dinner so there was a change of clothes. Sometimes, he would get up early with DH and they would go out. Then, more clothes after swimming.

Pack of ton of t shirts and underware.

Okay, this is gonna sound crazy but.....
I actually enjoyed doing laundry on our last Magic trip. I had really dreaded it, but was running short of clothes and I ended up meeting some really neat people in the laundry room. It was a nice break sitting and talking to other folks, with no other "stuff" to do but sit and wait for our clothes. It wasn't so bad, I promise :)

I am a light packer, but not when it comes to kids. My girls are not overly messy, but they are not careful like adults. They do drop food on thier clothes, make messes with crafts, etc. I'd take MORE than you expect for them.

Changing the subject slightly . . . I'd also bring some quarters and a little laundry detergent in a ziplock bag. Even if you don't plan to use it, with kids it's a good idea. If one of them should throw up or have a touch of diarreah, you might be very glad to have those things! You just can't wash those smells away in a sink, and it'd be a shame to throw away good clothes because they had to sit for several days.

I did not pack enough for my girls (7 and 4 at the time) and wished I had packed more. They ate icecream at least once a day, and always managed to get some on them. I had to do laundry twice. Once was ok- but I was a little irritated with myself for not packing more. Even if they go swimming a lot they never spent the entire day in their swimsuits. They would always spend an hour or two in the clubs and need shorts for that.

While I agree with you that doing laundry isn't my idea of a vacation, I am having to adjust that on our trip this November. We will be driving 1 day then staying with family 1 1/2 days before going to WDW for 3 nights before our cruise. If I don't do laundry the night before we leave we will be boarding the ship with 5 days worth of dirty clothes already. I would rather wash it all & start out fresh for the cruise. We will be staying in the area with family for a wedding & Thanksgiving for another 4-5 days after we return so again, I just can't pack enough to prevent that. I also don't want to face that much laundry when we return. It will be time to put the Christmas tree up. :)

couldn't have said it any better!

I will pack laundry soap, a few dryer sheets, and always have lots of change. It's an insurance policy.

Thanks! Great advice, as usual. I love it here.
Ju

One thing we did bring was a box of Shout Wipes! They are great if someone does end up with a spill! Very small, and easy to pack!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter