Does the Contemporary Parking ever close?

diamondect4

Earning My Ears
We are going to Disney for New Years. I made reservations to Chef Mickey's Breakfast on Dec 30th. I wanted to drive my own car to the Contemporary hotel and park it there. Then we can eat and head over to MK. But I am afraid that they may close the parking lot to anybody but people who are staying there. I know I can always take the bus, but we have an infant and I would rather just drive my own car. Especially too because we are staying at OKW and there are so many Bus stops!!

We are going to Disney for New Years. I made reservations to Chef Mickey's Breakfast on Dec 30th.

1- I wanted to drive my own car to the Contemporary hotel and park it there. Then we can eat and head over to MK.

2- But I am afraid that they may close the parking lot to anybody but people who are staying there.

1- I don't think you'll be able to do that.

2- Yup. And, Christmas Week is one of those times to expect that.

We are going to Disney for New Years. I made reservations to Chef Mickey's Breakfast on Dec 30th. I wanted to drive my own car to the Contemporary hotel and park it there. Then we can eat and head over to MK. But I am afraid that they may close the parking lot to anybody but people who are staying there. I know I can always take the bus, but we have an infant and I would rather just drive my own car. Especially too because we are staying at OKW and there are so many Bus stops!!

The better plan is to park at TTC and monorail to Contemporary. You are likely to get a lot of posters (myself included) reminding you that parking is intended for resort guests only, and not for what you are planning.

That's what I figured....we already have Chef Mickey's for Dinner so maybe we just head to the park early instead on Breakfast....So hard going this time of year, hope it's still fun!

Wasn't there just a thread about this where a couple of posters mentioned watching unlawfully parked cars being towed from the Contemporary lot?

You have dinner reservations at the Contemporary resort, and should be able to park it there. That's absolutely fair. Think about it as a local: You schedule a breakfast, why should you have to, as a local, park your car at TTC and then monorail to CR? That's not right. Plus, the guard should have a listing of people who have dining res at the CR and let you in. If not, well, they SHOULD!

Now, whether its morally OK for you to eat and then head to the parks, that's up to you. Sure, you can leave your car there all day, but do you feel OK about it? You make the call. But no matter it you are staying there or dining there, I think you should be OK.

After all, as locals, we drive our car to nearly every resort to park and eat. I mean, are they going to make up park at TTC only to go to MK and then take a bus or boat back to Wilderness Lodge? No. Why should you do the same with the Contemporay?

You have dinner reservations at the Contemporary resort, and should be able to park it there. That's absolutely fair. Think about it as a local: You schedule a breakfast, why should you have to, as a local, park your car at TTC and then monorail to CR? That's not right. Plus, the guard should have a listing of people who have dining res at the CR and let you in. If not, well, they SHOULD!

Now, whether its morally OK for you to eat and then head to the parks, that's up to you. Sure, you can leave your car there all day, but do you feel OK about it? You make the call. But no matter it you are staying there or dining there, I think you should be OK.

After all, as locals, we drive our car to nearly every resort to park and eat. I mean, are they going to make up park at TTC only to go to MK and then take a bus or boat back to Wilderness Lodge? No. Why should you do the same with the Contemporay?

You are correct, in general.
HOWEVER, we are discussing the situation during Christmas Week, the busiest time of year at WDW.

There are many times that they close the MK lot AND the monorail resort parking lots, and/or severely monitor exactly who is allowed to park there, and/or for how long.

All sense of what is "normal" can go out the window during Christmas Week, near July 4th and near Easter.

That's true. What I might consider doing is A. Calling the resort and asking them that question or B. paying for a valet. Valet might be a great option. Or C. Like you said, just parking at the TTC. I'd try option A and B first. We went around that time last year, and we were OK. But that was us - I know everyone is different!

I've even have the guards give a dining parking pass to us. You can park, eat and then leave and park at the TTC afterwards. But I agree, Dec 30th does get screwy.

I put in bold the part that confused me. We go to Chef Mickeys all the time. Doesn't matter what day of the year, you have an ADR you are never turned away...ever. I have never been told to go to TTC and monorail over. We go to mass at the CR every year too.

If we're going to a park though after that, we move it. Never did the valet there.

That's true. What I might consider doing is A. Calling the resort and asking them that question or B. paying for a valet. Valet might be a great option. Or C. Like you said, just parking at the TTC. I'd try option A and B first. We went around that time last year, and we were OK. But that was us - I know everyone is different!

I've even have the guards give a dining parking pass to us. You can park, eat and then leave and park at the TTC afterwards. But I agree, Dec 30th does get screwy.

You cannot call the resort. At all. Ever.

Even if you are at the resort and call the "front desk" from the room phone, you will get a call center. And the phone CMs routinely give out inaccurate information.

If you valet your car at the Contemporary than absolutely, go to MK after your reservation. Otherwise park at TTC like everybody else.

I put in bold the part that confused me. We go to Chef Mickeys all the time. Doesn't matter what day of the year, you have an ADR you are never turned away...ever. I have never been told to go to TTC and monorail over. We go to mass at the CR every year too.

We went to the CR to California Grill about two years ago, and the guard checked our reservations on a list that they had at the gate. It was during a busy time though. They never told us to move our car. We have gone to the Polynesian to eat at Kona, and were given a dining parking pass.

I have gotten a hold of the front desk at the hotels. It takes a lot of Googling, but it is possible. However, I admit that I have found Front Desk to be less than helpful.

I have been there many times and they do let you park at the resort, BUT they will give you a limited time pass (I think 3 hours).

And when we have gone at really slow times, we have been told that we can leave the car there longer.

I would park at the TTC and then Monorail over to the CR.

Then you could just walk to MK after Chef Mickey's (short walk) and when you are done at MK, you'll take the boat or monorail back to the TTC.

Much easier than worrying about if you can park at the CR or not during a very busy time. New Years Eve the CR parking lot could close.

Best of luck and have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter