• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does SuperWalmart sell alcohol in the US?

CanadianPaco

I miss my tags!
Sorry, a Canadian question but does Walmart sell alcohol? Wine? Liquor? I have heard of Albertons and ABC... can someone explain? Much thanks!:wizard:

Alchohol laws vary state to state. In some states all alchohol comes from liqour stores. In some only liqour comes from liqour stores while beer and wine are anywhere. In some it is wide open so a grocery store sells everything.

Wal-MArt will sell Beer, a small selection of wines and wine coolers....as far as hard Liquor most likely not...there should be a Liquor store somewhere in the area, I just dont know of one...ABC is a Liquor store...to get your whiskeys, Rums, vodkas etc....its usually identified my 3 big red circles....not sure what Albertons is....

The walmart nearest to Walt Disney World has a liquor store. It has a separate entrance on the outside of the store. They sell bee and wine in the regular store.

In case you're planning to road-trip across the US, I'll answer the whole question, not just as it pertains to Florida.

As some people said, it varies from state to state. Places that sell alcohol in one state will not necessarily sell it in others.

Albertsons is a chain of grocery stores (one of dozens of major chains). In my state it sells alcohol, in other states it does not--the same can be said of any other chain of grocery stores. I don't remember there being any Albertsons in Florida when I lived there; if there are Albertsons stores there, then yes, they should sell alcohol.

Some states allow any sort of alcohol to be sold in grocery stores; some don't allow it at all; most allow beer, wine coolers, and sometimes wine to be sold in grocery stores, but require specialized stores (either private or goverment-run) to sell hard liquor.

The Super Walmart nearest WDW does sell alcohol (beer, wine, wine coolers, and what my British husband calls "alco-pops," things like the fruit flavored Smirnoff drinks), as does the convenience store at the Hess gas station on property. But Super Walmart in other states may or may not sell it.

In states where only the state government can sell alcohol, or only the state can sell hard liquor, those things are available at what's called the ABC Store (Alcoholic Beverage Commission). In other states, there are simply separate privately owned liquor stores. I can't remember whether Florida has ABC stores for hard liquor, or just regular liquor stores.

As someone who works at a Walmart Supercenter. If the state allows the sell of alcohol at a grocery store, walmart will carry alcohol. At my store in Iowa they sell liqour (vokas, rums, wiskeys, etc.), wine, and beer. Over 80 feet of floor space worth. And like others have posted it looks like Florida does sell alochol.

You will not get Hard Liquor in Wal-Marts near Disney but some do have the attached ABC store or SAMs may have the attached store...Here in SC walmart sells no Hard Liquor...my little town of maybe 5000+ people for some reason has 5 ABC stores...crazy...1 store per 1000 people all selling the same thing and all pretty much the same prices...I dont get it but there they are...

State law also varies when alcohol can be sold. In GA, where I grew up, for example, there are no Sunday sales of alcohol at stores allowed (liquor by the drink is allowed at restaurants). Grocery stores leave the lights off in the beer/wine cases, and some places even block them off with cones/tape. Other states have certain hours that alcohol can't be sold- say midnight Saturday night until noon on Sunday. Or, there are some places that are completely "dry"- no alcohol sold at all, either at stores or even by the glass at restaurants.

It can be confusing, since there are such variations state to state (and counties and cities within each state!).

In NJ they DONT, You cant buy alcohol in any store, except a liquor store.

The two Super Walmarts in my hometown, in Indiana, sells beer, wine, liquor and anything else you can think of. They have a fairly large booze section. I believe in Indiana, what booze sold at a business, is determined by local agencies. I'm not sure how Florida does it.

In NJ they DONT, You cant buy alcohol in any store, except a liquor store.

Yup, I swear I was so sheltered my whole life hahaha, when I went to NH with fiance to visit his parents I was shocked when we stopped in a gas station and I saw beer....lol.

Yup, I swear I was so sheltered my whole life hahaha, when I went to NH with fiance to visit his parents I was shocked when we stopped in a gas station and I saw beer....lol.

Im just the opposite Im from Omaha, where you can buy beer everywhere, the store, gas station, everywhere!.. & where you pump your own gas.. So when I moved to Nj, Im like what the heck is this....lol

In Florida, there is usually a seperate store/entrance beside the "main store" where hard liquor is sold. You have to exit the building to make your booze purchase after all of your other shopping is done.

All I can say is I am happy to live in Maine...one stop shopping!:thumbsup2

It depends on the state. In Maine they do. In Pennsylvania they do not.

The Walmart's close to WDW have a separate liquor store. There is an outside entrance to the store. The one on 535 has one.

The walmart nearest to Walt Disney World has a liquor store. It has a separate entrance on the outside of the store. They sell bee and wine in the regular store.

1) Yes.
2) And, as you walk by, the aroma of booze just fills the air.
3) A whole new meaning for the Walmart Happy Face.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter