• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does Sunpass work on ALL toll roads in FL?

CyndiLooWho

DIS Veteran
Whenever we travel, I usually know there are tolls in advance and make sure to have plenty of ones and change to pay them. Was trying to decide if Sunpass would be worth it or not this time around.

We will be entering FL from GA on I-75, moving to the Florida Turnpike and then 429 on our way to Orlando. I know Sunpass works on 429, but can't seem to find a definitive answer on FL Turnpike. Their website refers to multiple different names for the various connectors, and being out of state, I have no idea which one(s) we'll be on, at least by those names.

Also, we only visit FL about every 3 yrs, so is it worth the time to get the mini transponder and hook it up or are we better off just paying our way through with cash and coin each time?

We just drove down from Georgia last week (I75 to turnpike) and paid cash. It would have been a tiny bit easier if we had been able to just drive through w/ the Sunpass, but really not worth it IMO. Just make sure you have enough money. We had to pay $3 at one of the toll booths on our way home....but didn't have to pay that much going in to Orlando (I THINK it was only $1.50), which I thought was odd since we used the same directions going and coming.

Yes, Sunpass works on all FL toll roads. Even if you see signs for E-pass (a system used on some roads in the Orlando area) Sunpass will work. It's actually cash that is not accepted at all toll booths.

Yes. Sunpass is good throughout FL, and several toll roads are moving to either pass or bill by plate (no cash option), in which case you pay a higher rate as well as an administrative fee for them to bill you for it if you don't use a pass. Also, where cash lanes exist, it is pretty much always cheaper to use sunpass vs cash, usually about a quarter cheaper per toll.

I obtained the mini transponder last year. I keep my cars 10 years & felt it was worth the small cost to not have to mess with any tolls. We drove from Texas & after Orlando we went to Key Largo. This year we are only hitting Orlando & Cocoa Beach. You can pay more & have a transponder you can move to different cars. Any time my balance goes below $10 they will hit my credit card for $10 additional dollars. The much cheaper rate for tolls paid for the responder in just last year's trip. Once you get rid of the car you can receive a refund of any money left in your account.

yes sunpass works on both 429 and florida turnpike - plus it works at the airport too = it also i think works at other toll roads not in florida

We love having a Sunpass to zip through and not worry about cash. Like having it for trips to Destin, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter