Does everyone need an AP to get AP room rate?

Beth76

DIS Veteran
I've looked and can't find an answer, so sorry if this is the millionth time. Can we get away with only one person having an AP in our room and still get an AP room discount? Or does every person need to have one. Is this considered "cheating"? I don't want to cheat the system. But, if I can get an AP rate, chances of me coming back to use the AP again are high whereas if I didn't get the AP, I wouldn't come for awhile.

Yes, you can secure an AP room rate with just one AP. I'm just not sure if it matters if it is adult or child. I know that when I called to get my DDE card she said that the voucher number I gave her had to be off an adult AP so it may be the same way for the room rate.

I read somewhere on these boards that they gave you the AP room rate on a child's AP. Technicallly, the child needs to be staying in your room and present at check-in. I am too leary to try this. Can anyone confirm?

The AP holder has to be staying in the room, but not necessarily the person on the reservation. My daughter did this one year because her son has an AP (he goes with us a couple of times a year). The ressie was in her name and she got the AP rate because he was on the reservation as one of the people in the room. He now has an adult AP since he is 11. Of course, he can't get the DDE, but since we do all the food buying we have our own discount dining card.

disneydreamer98 said:
Yes, you can secure an AP room rate with just one AP. I'm just not sure if it matters if it is adult or child. I know that when I called to get my DDE card she said that the voucher number I gave her had to be off an adult AP so it may be the same way for the room rate.
OK, so what's DDE? Now, I know I read that you don't have to have the AP when you book the room only when you check into the room. That's correct, right? That way the AP's good for a year from when you actually go, not book the room.

I have always booked our room with our AP and have never been asked to give any number when making the reservation. Not the voucher number or the actual AP number. I have always gotten my AP out of my wallet when checking in and no one has asked for it. Maybe they just see it on the counter and dont ask, I dont know. But they never really seemed to care if I had it or not.

Beth76 said:
OK, so what's DDE? Now, I know I read that you don't have to have the AP when you book the room only when you check into the room. That's correct, right? That way the AP's good for a year from when you actually go, not book the room.

The DDE is the Disney Dining Experience card and it entitles you to 20% off most sit down meals (including Character Meals and hotel foodcourts). The cost for AP holders is $50 and is good for one year. You do not need your AP or the voucher at the time of making your reservation. You just need to have it activated before you check in, because if they ask for it you will need to provide it.

Beth76 said:

You do not have to have the AP when you book the room, you do have to have it when you check in. Many people buy their AP when they get there. Some people are able to just present the ap voucher at check-in and others have been allowed to check in with the voucher but then asked to return with the ap at some point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter