Does everyone know your name??? 18 nights at RPR & HHN....A 2016 Trip Report......

We always get dirty look as we go through the EP for DM. How nice you were able to walk right on! It is amazing how there is always something new to discover. I've never been in the Monsters Café because the menu doesn't appeal, I didn't realize there were all the classic theming items! And I don't think we will ever see enough of DA, it's another place where there's just so much, you can always have a new adventure :D

Maria :upsidedow

Oh yes, we've had many glares and comments too from folks in the regular queue particularly on DM........water off a ducks back for us.......we usually just smile back.........lol.......

Monsters cafe we don't eat there either, doesn't appeal at all, but yes the memorabilia is nice to see and interesting too........

DA we could spend much longer in.......we try and focus on different areas each time, but always wander around it all whenever we go in, always something new around.........we never got ice cream this time as we were just never ready for anything whenever we were in it........I quite like the ice cream there......

Hmm I don't recall where that last pic of gyroscopey thing originates?

Love the people free shots of the buildings, never thot of that...may have to swipe that technique next trip lol

We ate @ monsters during HHN as pickings were slim. I'll take the high road and say the food was the same as last visit a few years ago:rolleyes1. A darn shame, they could turn it into a themed TS type if they tossed in a character or2 and clean up IMO.

Hmm I don't recall where that last pic of gyroscopey thing originates?

Love the people free shots of the buildings, never thot of that...may have to swipe that technique next trip lol

We ate @ monsters during HHN as pickings were slim. I'll take the high road and say the food was the same as last visit a few years ago:rolleyes1. A darn shame, they could turn it into a themed TS type if they tossed in a character or2 and clean up IMO.

It's on the ceiling in the shop where Gringotts ride is.........

Swipe away........lol......

Yep, Monsters Cafe could be fabulous! It's so well themed and a decent size......a little revamp and it could be amazing........until they improve the food we won't eat there again........oh I never thought of character meets in there on a daily basis.......

We could pack the place out between us and our ideas Janet.........:thumbsup2

I love the beam of light shining down next to your husband in the pic by the boat. He might have someone next to him in spirit. :eek: :-)

I love the beam of light shining down next to your husband in the pic by the boat. He might have someone next to him in spirit. :eek: :-)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I never even noticed that!

Now I can't see anything else.......lol.........

I'm learning new things about UO from your TR!

I had no idea that there was a mirror that gave compliments in MM shoppe. Gonna check that out for sure!
Would you know if there is a thread dedicated to the interactive elements of Diagon Alley? I'm thinking I've missed many, and would love to see them all!!

I've never been in the Christmas shop either. I'll definitely be paying a visit!

PS...continuing to enjoy the hat prop, lol!!

I'm learning new things about UO from your TR!

I had no idea that there was a mirror that gave compliments in MM shoppe. Gonna check that out for sure!
Would you know if there is a thread dedicated to the interactive elements of Diagon Alley? I'm thinking I've missed many, and would love to see them all!!

I've never been in the Christmas shop either. I'll definitely be paying a visit!

PS...continuing to enjoy the hat prop, lol!!

There was a thread about interactive things to do I think, maybe a search will bring something up.......will have a look later.......

Yes, the mirror is cute........and the Christmas shops in both parks are good, one in IOA is slightly bigger I think.......

He wasn't aware he did that with the hat.......lol........made him laugh when I pointed it out......:D

Your pictures are just fabulous!! We'll be arriving on Saturday and I couldn't be more excited!!:cool1:

I spend a lot of time in the Christmas shop at ioa

So many choices
I overbuy in that store as I can not decide on which character ornament to purchase

Usually end up getting at least 5 each time I walk into that store

They also sell the pink donut

Yes did pick up one there one night near closing time

Your pictures are just fabulous!! We'll be arriving on Saturday and I couldn't be more excited!!:cool1:

Saturday!!! Wow........well, hope you have a fabulous time.....I'm sure you will though.......and thank you.....glad you like them........:thumbsup2

I spend a lot of time in the Christmas shop at ioa

So many choices
I overbuy in that store as I can not decide on which character ornament to purchase

Usually end up getting at least 5 each time I walk into that store

They also sell the pink donut

Yes did pick up one there one night near closing time

We did go a bit overboard this year too with Christmas decorations :blush:..........there were so many to choose from......and they are so good at wrapping them up securely........they always ask if we're flying home, well in our case I think they can guess from the accents......lol.......but we had no breakages again this year, so our trees will be adorned with a load of new garnishes..........

I prefer the one in IOA too.......:)

Great update, I really enjoy all your pictures of DA, there are so many things I see in the pictures that I miss when visiting. We really liked the wharf scare zone as well, the scare actors were really interesting with the barnacles and starfish stuck on their faces. Wow it looks hot, good to tour in the am and cool off in the air con in the pm. You would never catch me on RRR, to scary for me!

Great update, I really enjoy all your pictures of DA, there are so many things I see in the pictures that I miss when visiting. We really liked the wharf scare zone as well, the scare actors were really interesting with the barnacles and starfish stuck on their faces. Wow it looks hot, good to tour in the am and cool off in the air con in the pm. You would never catch me on RRR, to scary for me!

lol........I was like that before I went on RRR for the first time......was convinced that was how I was going to die.......I was terrified beyond belief.......now that was a funny video!!!!

Glad you`re enjoying the pictures, I agree, we see something new every visit......and yes those SA are amazing!

I can never do RRR
Have seen it get stuck a few times and peeps had to evacuate

I would have had heart failure with that if I was on and had to climb down from that ride!

So we thought we would leave DA after doing Gringotts a few times........this is such a good ride......fun and swishing gently around is always fun. We managed to get front row both times and thoroughly enjoyed it......
Now was time for us to head out of this area and do some more of the park........when we venture out of the relative cool temps of DA we realise just how hot is has become as we step out from the cool........it is hotter than Hades out there again........but, we see there is no queue for pictures with the Knight Bus conductor.......so far everyime we looked there has been a fairly long queue......have to say the guy who we got photographed with last year was phenomenal....he had me doubled over with laughter which Tom dutifully captured every giggle and laugh.......this guy was good though, but I felt so sorry for him as his suit was fairly heavy, I was glad he was in the shade. I always say at Universal character interaction is always fabulous, and this was no different........they are so good and always enthuse about whatever particular character they are representing

i-QBGzhhX-XL.jpg

Even outside DA the theming is exceptional........photo opportunities abound........and of course we do, there`s something almost enigmatic about Universal theming and almost encourages you to take images wherever you are, and DA is no different.

i-Bz2gDwq-XL.jpg

i-RHNqNX9-XL.jpg

Kreacher is one of the newer additions to Universal photo ops, people are keen to catch him appear periodically throughout the day......if you miss him, don't worry, he is regular with his appearances and you never have long to wait.......you don't need to knock the door or anything.......it is routine. People just love to catch him grimacing out behind the drapes every day........

i-BC6MPq6-XL.jpg

We decide to head out of the park but not before a few picture options.........we decide not to do MiB and Tom chooses not to do the Simpsons on his own.......I wont go on it due to sickness issues......worst offender ever for rides with me.....so we go into Simpsons area and happily pose........

i-xTqWh9V-XL.jpg

This is where Tom almost became a professional photographer for an endless stream of guests a few years ago.......one asked for a picture, then another...we don't mind. We always happily take pictures of others, as we have had the kindness returned many times. I can`t imagine anyone not obliging.......but anyway, happens again today......we get two couples ask if we mind taking theirs........no problem. It only takes a few minutes and we are off again.

We always say we are going to have some beer during the day, well, Tom as I don't drink beer, but it always seems to be too hot........I see folks wandering around with those giant beer cans......not sure how they manage it in the heat......so, another day goes past without him partaking in a beer. He really doesn't drink during the day either, but it`s just one of those things we keep meaning to do........maybe one day......

i-GKZ2Gfv-XL.jpg

i-tX46Hwp-XL.jpg

Again, we always plan to have the ice cream dessert with the donut.....but it`s huge and far too much to eat as we are heading for lunch soon......we will one day though........this area is so bright and colourful, such a fun area.......Marge, Bart and Homer appear for a picture opportunity but we are just too hot to stand in the already well formed queue......these characters are always popular when they appear.

We do a quick visit ET, no queue at all today, always such a cute ride.......then we head out through the area that is Lair of the Banshee during horror nights........it seems very tame in comparison during the day.....there really isn't anything scary, visual or otherwise during the day, so anyone who doesn't enjoy any aspects of horror needn't worry about visiting the parks during the day when it`s horror night season, there really is no reason to avoid The Studios.

i-Cw8bH4S-XL.jpg

This is the sort of large prop that can`t be removed during the day......people often ask what kind of props are left out......this is the kind of thing and is no way scary or horrifying.

i-X2zmmQh-XL.jpg

i-H5kMXKw-XL.jpg

We go into the Terminator store and see some WD merchandise.......and of course Dr Who, of which my husband is a huge fan.........this has got to be one of the coolest stores around.......really fancy a tee with old "Lucille" on it......

i-NDs2jcK-XL.jpg

i-nStSpC3-XL.jpg

i-XGw4nhc-XL.jpg

Hunger had begun to take over now, and we head out of the park to Citywalk. Margaritaville was going to be our choice for lunch today. Always enjoy food here and the atmosphere is always fun, even during a relatively quiet lunch time.

We are seated immediately and instantly order our favourite soft drinks.......strawberry lemonades all around for us.....they are delicious, and very much appreciated today with the heat being so oppressive.......we drank them quickly and they were gratefully replenished before we could even ask.......I think she sensed we were thirsty. I did get the feeling she was disappointed we were not going to be ordering alcohol as she took time to regale us with alcoholic offerings first, but no way did we plan any alcohol in this heat during the day...... I ordered Jamaican chicken wings and side salad, Tom ordered the Club sandwich and fries......she told us they would be out soon, and they were........we love sitting in here listening to music and relaxing......it was quite busy and our server did seem a bit distracted.........she was funny though and no complaints about service

I also laugh when I see this picture as I look like I have been dragged through the proverbial hedge backwards.........

i-JvMgzmG-XL.jpg

i-rKMpgN6-XL.jpg

Food came out and Tom`s was really good, he loves sandwiches whatever you put on them and this was a favourite......my wings weren't real but boneless, but I decided to keep them, however they weren't spicy like they used to be, lacked flavour, were hard on the outside and cool in the middle. Not great. Salad was nice though, I shared some of Tom`s sandwich.....we decided we would go back there, but not for food and would go back and sit at the bar for cocktails one night. She did offer to replace them, but I wasn't overly fussed on them by that time.

i-3w5cznL-XL.jpg

i-Qkhxzr3-XL.jpg

i-8H4M4Gq-XL.jpg

We finished and paid up and started to walk back to the hotel. e Lone Palm is so pretty but, we never sit there as they allow smoking, and as we detest smoking with a passion.......so, we avoid it, unless it`s quiet.....which it rarely is. So nice though.....think we`ve only ever had a cocktail there once or twice in 10 years.

i-8Bkv53L-XL.jpg

The walk back to the hotel is so pretty, I cannot talk enough about how beautifully manicured and well cared for the resort is, everywhere.......it really is a joy to walk and a short one, even today when it`s baking hot......but we still find time to appreciate it, especially under the shade of the large trees

i-S3jm6rw-XL.jpg

i-9fJXgf3-XL.jpg

i-3hTbGRb-XL.jpg

i-Mx8pHSb-XL.jpg

The pool at RPR is perfect for us........shallow enough I can mooch around with a zero entry, and deep enough Tom can swim. It`s fun without being rowdy, plenty going on with games and activities during the day and of course dive in movies at night......and the Bula Bar is perfect for food and cocktails. You can get refills for $10 on selected cocktail (most of them) after first purchase which is good.......cocktails are excellent, as they are everywhere we find to be honest.......and food is so good!

i-wmCRzj3-XL.jpg

We had some iced water from the stand before we went upstairs. We chatted to a member of the pool staff who said he hadn't seen us at night yet this year.......with HHN and other things we just hadn't made it, yet. We did have plans to do it one night.

For now we were going to get showered, changed and head to PBH to meet an old friend from a few years ago.

Last edited:
I can never do RRR
Have seen it get stuck a few times and peeps had to evacuate

I would have had heart failure with that if I was on and had to climb down from that ride!

lol.......we did see that once!! Not sure I could move if I was stuck up so high.......

Love that firs climb and drop though.......every scary image imaginable goes through my mind those 13 seconds it takes to climb! :D

We showered and changed and headed back down to the boat. We took the boat to Citywalk and then got the Portofino boat. We had no wait as there was one waiting when we arrived.......it`s so convenient a way of getting to each resort, and such a nice little ride.

It`s a little further to PBH, but still so convenient to walk from the parks.....and as with all the walking paths, so pretty.

i-jSkcJLd-XL.jpg

We get off the boat and as usual with PB it`s so quiet during the day, any time we come over it feels a little deserted.....it does get busier at night.

i-2PKvMHd-XL.jpg

We have a quick wander around and take some pictures and we go ask for Mike at the desk, and they call and let him now we are there. It is a beautiful hotel. I would always recommend anyone to have a wander around the other resort hotels if you have the time. They are so different and even if they don't quite appeal to stay in them, they are lovely to see.

i-PkR7XnT-XL.jpg

i-NxhxzVg-XL.jpg

i-xshvBLZ-XL.jpg

i-CfXNRFP-XL.jpg

i-6fwVLVC-XL.jpg

i-TPR38C5-XL.jpg

At this point Mike comes out......it was so lovely to see him. We became friendly when he was one of the supervisors in the Club Lounge at RPR, but he was now back at PBH and I think I said earlier he had contacted RP CL to find out if we were staying yet........so we were looking forward to seeing him again. We had the same adoration of HHN and especially Michael Myers. He had told us some things we weren't aware of and some behind the scenes stuff......and we so enjoyed our time getting to know him in 2014. Really good guy and is very good at his job.

We gave him a big hug and chatted about the hotel and how he had come back here......it`s always interesting to hear how people end up doing the jobs they are in. Everyone has a story somewhere. He asked if we wanted to go to the Club Lounge.......I had never been in here before properly so we wandered over and went in. The Club Lounge here is off the main reception area, rooms are usually allocated to be close, but if you opt for Club Lounge here you can be a little walk away. It is a nice room but getting a revamp sometime..........

i-Dkx6pBQ-XL.jpg

i-jW3Dgdr-XL.jpg

i-BJwS3Fn-XL.jpg

They do have a little balcony in this room, tiny, but it`s there........the view is across the piazza and to the water

i-RPFCf3x-XL.jpg

i-4sW9Gcx-XL.jpg

We spend most of the afternoon here chatting to Mike in the Lounge and have some lemonade which is really nice, but eventually we leave as it`s getting near the time for guests to be coming in, and that's always a busy time........so we bid our goodbyes and hug, it really was lovely catching up with him again, and now we know where he is we can go back and visit again.

We head back and get the boat back to Citywalk and then RP.

On the boat a lady starts talking to us. She was a travel agent and was there for a convention.......we mentioned HHN and she had never heard of it.....we found this strange as surely a travel agent would know about that.....so we briefly gave her the details and she said it sounded fun. Told her it was an amazing event. We wished her an enjoyable visit and got in the queue for RP boat.......at that point an older couple who had been on the boat came up and asked us if we minded telling them about HHN too.......explained the event again to them and told them their ticket options as they could only go one night.....not sure they would go when they understood they couldn't use their day tickets to get in. I suppose I do get a bit surprised when folks visit anywhere without researching everything about the place......the internet is full of info on everything.

We go back up to the Club Lounge for while during which time I take some laundry down and get a full load in......all machines were being used, although 2 are just about to finish, and I wait and think maybe I should come back another time, at that point a lady appears and takes loads out of 2 machines......she apologises for being late.......I tell her not to worry they had only just gone off.........we chat about how she had to empty a machine once......she had came down and no one came back for their laundry after the machine had finished, she waited 15 minutes then emptied it and put hers in. When she came back the same laundry hadn`t been removed. Some people just don't consider others. I always make sure I`m back in time to take it out. I would do that too if I had to.

I go back to Club Lounge and have a glass of wine and sit till clothes are done, then put them on hangers and back to room. Then we leave for dinner. Tonight we are driving back to LBV for Longhorn Steakhouse

We had made the mistake the year before by going to Longhorn on IDrive........awful place. Poorly cooked steaks and bad service made for an unpleasant evening. But the one in LBV has always been excellent.....food and service, so we tend to just drive back there, it`s only 15-20 minutes away.

Tom goes to get the car and I take some rare pictures of the entrance being relatively quiet and no cars.......doesn't happen often........

i-k3vQQ5P-XL.jpg

i-fq7VC3b-XL.jpg

It is such a pretty entrance to a hotel, and the music playing adds to the atmosphere.........Tom appears and we drive off to LBV for a relatively early dinner........it takes 15 minutes to get there and the car park looks busy. But, we get seated straight away and it`s not as busy as it looks.

It`s such a nice restaurant and we have always had exceptional food here for such an inexpensive place to eat.......steaks are always good quality and cooked as they should be.

We order strawberry lemonades and then they bring the bread.......this is so nice!!! You can get more, but we try to just eat the one wedge they bring........

i-C5QRFGr-XL.jpg

i-DvJrdSF-XL.jpg

We both order salads, both with honey mustard dressing, I order a filet with baked sweet potato and Tom orders the outlaw ribeye and garlic mash........we don't feel like appetisers tonight..........

We get 2 salads put in front of us.......doesn't look like honey mustard to me.......I put my finger in and its blue cheese......almost immediately another waitress appears and says we have been given the wrong salads, I tell her I was about to call someone over, and I make sure I tell her I stuck my finger in the dressing......would hate for someone to get it after that!

She brings over our salads and that is honey mustard dressing.......and our steaks soon follow, and I have to say are cooked just as we asked. It`s one thing I am incredibly fussy about........I like medium rare and can take it rarer......but aything more than that and I will send it back......Tom will eat anything as long as it is not still mooing or radically overcooked.........

i-2CcMK8V-XL.jpg

i-mMMLMC3-XL.jpg

i-RRXb8fB-XL.jpg

We do enjoy our meal and are feeling quite full tonight, I was glad we hadn't ate any more of the bread.......we don't take dessert as we plan to try dessert hour at the Club Lounge......something we very rarely do or go have some pool time. But, we don't feel like doing much tonight so we plan one of those. We ask for the check and our waitress brings us 2 strawberry lemonades to go.....a nice touch. We pay her and then leave.......then we see the rain is bouncing down......well that rules out the pool then.......Tom goes and gets the car so I don't get wet.......and we are back home in 20 minutes.

Quite a cosy feel at night coming back in to the hotel.......doesn't seem too busy tonight either......

We go straight to the lounge and check out the desserts. I`m not a big dessert eater, but Tom loves them......get us both some coffee and go have a look at what`s there

i-bwmbSBZ-XL.jpg

i-v9339S7-XL.jpg

i-L9pvSxF-XL.jpg

i-S3dhQ4r-XL.jpg

i-Dzd5RFt-XL.jpg

The cookies and the canolies are nice, Tom tries the little dessert but doesn't enjoy that one........but, we sit for a while and chat to staff, it is so quiet up here tonight.........it`s very cosy and warming sitting in here at night, very welcoming lounge.........

We sit for a while longer and just watch the weather outside, it`s still raining........eventually we head out and decide to go back to the room.........I have some laundry to sort out and we are quite tired tonight........so, TV is put on, we have a bottle of wine in the fridge, so that is the rest of our evening. Really is like home from home tonight........

Think we put lights and TV off around 11.30pm........and by that time we really are exhausted. We plan an easy day tomorrow.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter