Does DVC still meet your vacation desires once te kids leave the nest?

IMO DVC doesn't give us anything but maybe a discounted room. Cash guests can get a DVC room from Disney or they can rent a reservation from an owner so there isn't any exclusivity in owning.

Wonderful vacations at WDW or Disney is the same for everyone no matter where they stay so I'm not giving DVC credit for that one.

:earsboy: Bill

My wife & I think about how much FUN it will be when we'll be able to use our DVC when our kids are older. We'll likely spend more time at the Food & Wine Festival. We won't have to schedule our trips around days off from school. Plus, we can let the kids borrow our DVC with their own families too.

I'm there and it IS fun!

My wife & I think about how much FUN it will be when we'll be able to use our DVC when our kids are older. We'll likely spend more time at the Food & Wine Festival. We won't have to schedule our trips around days off from school. Plus, we can let the kids borrow our DVC with their own families too.

Just sold our contract to downsize to a more appropriate contract that is the size we need for the two of us. When the kids were little did numerous cruises on the points and many trips with the family in grand villas. Now we don't need those large accommodations so could downsize. Loved the time with the kids when they were little but now it's just our time and it's great!

We plan on going every other year without kids. I love it we will do minimal park time, enjoy water parks, hiring boats, illuminations cruises, golf, shopping and Signature restaurants. It is different but still plenty for us.

It's a funny question because we bought DVC exactly BECAUSE we want to use it when we are retired and beyond. It seems to me DVC is more useful the more flexible your travel dates are, and while I was never a fan of pre-paying vacations as part of a timeshare, as we thought about it, the idea of still being able to afford to stay on property when we're retired is probably ONLY possible through buying DVC.

It's a funny question because we bought DVC exactly BECAUSE we want to use it when we are retired and beyond. It seems to me DVC is more useful the more flexible your travel dates are, and while I was never a fan of pre-paying vacations as part of a timeshare, as we thought about it, the idea of still being able to afford to stay on property when we're retired is probably ONLY possible through buying DVC.

I would say that now that our kids are grown and have left the nest, our DVC desires and vacations aren't necessarily any better or less enjoyable, just different. We now have the opportunity to experience all the "adult" activities in DW, just relax on our terms, and book last minute trips whenever we have the desire. I would admit though, that we never had any idea of all the "adult" things to do. You would think that going every year since 93 with little ones, that you would know everything there was to know. Boy were we somewhat clueless, because at the time, those things did not interest us and we didn't have the time or ability. After we figured out all the great stuff we were missing, like F & W and F & G, we ended up buying more points to meet our new desires. In addition, our grown DDs like to go with their friends on occasion so we help them out also. Soon the day will come when we reach the next phases, full time retirement and GKs. I'm sure that will be just as special, but in its own way also.

We bought into DVC in 1991, one of the first people to own. Our kids were very small at the time. They have always looked at WDW as their second home. I always laugh because I used to say that our kids thought Mickey and all the characters were their relatives. Some of them even remembered our kids from trip to trip. We went twice a year for most of their childhood. They are now adults and still come with us. Mostly my daughter, but my son will come when he can. Our trips have changed throughout the years, but the basic vacation is still the same....spending time with family. I have always loved having a living area where we can all spend time. We usually get a 2 bedroom so they have their own room and bathroom. My husband and I have been there alone and always have a wonderful time. Yes, you can vacation at Disney with just the two of you! LOL!! We bought with the intention of giving our kids and grandkids wonderful vacations and great memories. It does not hurt that Mim and Dad are paying for the room!! By the way I'm still waiting for the grandbabies. They are going to be very very spoiled!! I think you will be fine. Your trips will change, but still be wonderful. The actual rides mean next to nothing for us now, even though we have APS. We hardly get fast passes anymore. As others have said, you can always sell if you want. Good Luck!!

Enjoy The Magic!!

We are already three adults (DD just having turned 21 on our most recent trip this March). One of the big box-tickers for me was that DD now has somewhere to go on holiday and be completely safe (she has Asbergers and we have been worrying with things like transatlantic travel if she'll be on her own since she's been talking about going on her own). Unless we sell beforehand, she's got somewhere to go on holiday for 37 years and it's all paid for. OH will be 60 next year and we wouldn't gt our money's worth if we weren't thinking of DD as well.

I don't like the idea of holidaying with OH, tbh: he drives me nuts. I have, however, gone away with just DD and if we do that we can stay anywhere in a studio. If it wasn't for the thought of living out of suitcases for the duration, we'd come and do a night in each resort to see which one we liked best!!

I think I like my DVC membership even more! I've enjoyed more travels with more adults and my adult children! Cruises, Adventures and all of the parties and festivals!

We bought with the intention of going as long as we are able to travel and then giving the points to our daughter (she wants them).

We've being going to WDW for 20+ years and still enjoy it. We originally went just as a couple, for that last 16 we've been going with our daughter and plan to continue going if she isn't able to (because of work/school).

We didn't buy until our kids were grown! We love it! We take them when they want to come and love going just the 2 of us. We have more resort days now, the parks are still fun but not as high on the list. We love the resort life there plus DTD, Cirque, Walking around EPCOT in September....I love being a couple with DVC

IMO DVC doesn't give us anything but maybe a discounted room.

Isn't that about 99% of the reason for buying?

Anyone who succumbed to the "pixie dust" reasoning--either today or 20 years ago--wasn't seeing the forest for the trees.

I have several comments on this thread.

The first is, as others have mentioned, this is the ultimate DVC fan club so I wouldn't expect a whole flock of people saying they sold because DVC no longer met their needs. Obviously many have sold and are selling now, or there would not be any resale market.

The second point I would offer is that prospective buyers should answer one fundamental question before they proceed any further with a DVC purchase, or the purchase of any other timeshare. That question is: Is timeshare ownership the best solution for my family's vacation lodging needs?

There are many, many alternatives to timeshare ownership and many of them fit many families a lot better than anybody's timeshare. Before anyone purchases any timeshare, they'd be smart to consider all of those options and answer the question above -- is this the BEST way for my family?

The other point is that I think every prospective buyer should consider your thoughtful question -- yes, this will be great right now, but what about later?

Times change, interests change, economic or domestic pressures dictate life changes -- the list of things which might make someone want to get OUT of any timeshare is probably endless. Before someone enters into a 30-50 year financial commitment for annual fees, a long hard look at the suitability of the purchase way down the road is in order, IMHO.

I also think prospective buyers should consider an exit plan. If you decide to sell - for whatever reason - how will that picture look?

If the purchase was made direct at today's prices, that picture will be ugly. If the purchase is made resale at today's prices it will be less ugly, but still not pretty. In either case, the sales price is likely to be significantly lower than the initial purchase price.
Resale for dvc is much healthier than other timeshares. With the right resort, you can sell for higher than the price paid. I bought blt in the high 90s and ppl said I paid too much. Sold at 108. The plan was to buy GFV but I am leaning more toward rolling the dice with SSR since we are now out of Magic Kingdom meltdown mode.

Kids currently little (5 and 2). Plan on selling one of our two contracts (BLT) when kids are adults. We will keep our BWV for adult vacations till expiration :).

We too bought when kids were relatively young (13 & 9) but we no longer fit comfortably in a single hotel room. We've enjoyed many varied vacations with & without family and friends and were also able to give DD and DSIL a week for their honeymoon. Now we're retired we love being able to stay longer and go at our own pace, but we also like to plan family trips!

We have been thinking about joining since 1998, almost did in 2006. When we went in 2012 I almost thought out window had passed as our kids were 17, 14 and 9. We had really stopped considering it. However we love the Disney resorts and dining and we love just being in Orlando eating and shopping (we are from the UK). What made us finally push the button was sitting on the monorail one day watching a couple at the Poly sitting on their balcony with a bottle of wine and their books. My husband and I both said I can see us enjoying doing that here post kids. So we bought enough points to do 12-15 nights in a 2 bedroom Every other year and the plan is once it is just us we will go for 1 month every other year and really relax

Kids currently little (5 and 2). Plan on selling one of our two contracts (BLT) when kids are adults. We will keep our BWV for adult vacations till expiration :).

Did you know that you can leave your points as a "legacy"?

We first bought DVC when our "kids" were young teens. We've added to our DVC portfolio many times (direct and resale). Unless we really are scraping bottom, we have no intention of ever selling. If push comes to shove, we will have a "fire sale" to rent our points if need be.

That being said...we do the empty nest thing at least twice a year; sometimes more. It is wonderful. We go at our own pace...the fast pass plus gives us that nice feeling of "we can be lazy for a while....our Soarin time isn't until 10 a.m." Wink Wink.

And I am quite sure that if and when grandkids come on the scene....our priorities will change. Not sure if that will ever happen....but knowing that we will have a really great place for extended family to come together gives me a good feeling.

Then again....we bought in early and also got good resale contracts before the prices really went high. But....when we first signed back in 1997 I was very nervous about affording the payments. Was lucky I got a good job and paid the contract off very early. When I see the prices for Poly or GF....yikes! But then again, back in 1997....people said I was crazy.

Funny, just posted to another thread.

Buying DVC has altered our thinking about retirement.

We are actually getting excited about spending 3-4 weeks at WDW using our points each winter.

So, becoming an empty nestor is just turning into new opportunities for us.

We are not thrill ride / park people by any stretch anymore. However, we love to dine out, we love live entertainment, we love scenic walks, etc. Disney, for us, has many things to offer that has nothing to do with park related attractions. We really enjoy our time at Disney and would say the same never using a "fast pass" to do anything. Well, maybe sorin :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter