• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does DVC redo point charts every year?

maryloubsw

DVC member
Hi all I am new to this so I'm unsure how often they revamp the point charts, but do you think they will change significantly from 2011 to 2012 based on history? TIA

Keep in mind, they only re-allocate points between days and/or seasons. They can never decrease or increase the total amount of points used in one year.

They can also change them from one unit type to another. While the 2010 & 2011 changes were technically 2, they really were one continuous change stretched over 2 years due to the limitations in place. There really isn't a lot else they could do from a points standpoint unless they go back the other way at some point. The one issue might be for the smaller components of the lockoff's which aren't bound by some of the rules in the POS as I understand it and possibly for specialty booking categories. I wouldn't worry about it too much but if one is looking at mostly smaller units, less than a full week or lower seasons, I'd consider a cushion in the # of points purchased. For example, someone looking at a studio, adventure season, in the cheapest room (value AKV/standard BWV), and less than a week should likely consider a MAJOR cushion, maybe as high as 50% or more.

We've noticed they seem to be closing the gap between Sun-Thurs points and Fri-Sat points. Used to be a big difference, now they are closer and in 2011 even closer.

Not sure if this is a good thing or not...hoping to hear some wisdom from the experts! :worship:

They can also change them from one unit type to another. While the 2010 & 2011 changes were technically 2, they really were one continuous change stretched over 2 years due to the limitations in place. There really isn't a lot else they could do from a points standpoint unless they go back the other way at some point. The one issue might be for the smaller components of the lockoff's which aren't bound by some of the rules in the POS as I understand it and possibly for specialty booking categories. I wouldn't worry about it too much but if one is looking at mostly smaller units, less than a full week or lower seasons, I'd consider a cushion in the # of points purchased. For example, someone looking at a studio, adventure season, in the cheapest room (value AKV/standard BWV), and less than a week should likely consider a MAJOR cushion, maybe as high as 50% or more.

Agreed... There was rumors that they might do special categories at SSR for the far areas of the resort as these are generally less desired. The rumor was the setup would be similar to Boardwalk's value view. However, with the announcement of the new pool and water area and QS dining out that way, I'm guessing that won't happen.

I think Dean is right and we are done for a little while, unless they find the new values not working and they change them back.

We've noticed they seem to be closing the gap between Sun-Thurs points and Fri-Sat points. Used to be a big difference, now they are closer and in 2011 even closer.

Not sure if this is a good thing or not...hoping to hear some wisdom from the experts! :worship:

It's good or bad depending on your vacation habits. You will see a lot of objections on here from people who would only vacation from Sun to Thurs and now do not have enough points to take their standard trip (you'll also see many unsympathetic to their plight, just as an FYI... it can be quite entertaining to read)... For people like me who tend to take 1 trip a year, arriving on Saturday and leaving the following Sunday, Monday or Tuesday, then it can be helpful as the extra weekend days are cheaper.

Ultimately, you can chalk me up as one who doesn't care too much. As of now, I always have enough points and that will remain that way unless we bring additional family or go to a 1 BR as my daughter gets older and we have other children. Then I either need to shorten my trip, or buy some more points.

Agreed... There was rumors that they might do special categories at SSR for the far areas of the resort as these are generally less desired. The rumor was the setup would be similar to Boardwalk's value view. However, with the announcement of the new pool and water area and QS dining out that way, I'm guessing that won't happen.

I think Dean is right and we are done for a little while, unless they find the new values not working and they change them back.
I don't think I've heard credible rumors of booking cat for SSR but I know it's been discussed a lot here. IMO they should create them and I think they can do so without creating headaches for themselves or the members and with almost no chance of orphaned unit days.

There really isn't a lot else they could do from a points standpoint unless they go back the other way at some point.
I think there is justification for mucking around with the seasons a bit. Moving early December out of Adventure season... bumping the points in Premier for the most desired categories.. etc.

I think there is justification for mucking around with the seasons a bit. Moving early December out of Adventure season... bumping the points in Premier for the most desired categories.. etc.
My posted opinion is that early December will cease to be adventure at some point, however, there is only so much they can do to increase this time. Worst case scenario in my mind is a 10% increase in early December. Still there will be some change at some point and that change will impact some of the owners negatively as any change must.

I don't think I've heard credible rumors of booking cat for SSR but I know it's been discussed a lot here. IMO they should create them and I think they can do so without creating headaches for themselves or the members and with almost no chance of orphaned unit days.

LOL... I'm not sure I ever considered them credible per se... I heard them from some friends in Orlando, on property, on here etc. Nothing I didn't take with a BIG grain of salt.

LOL... I'm not sure I ever considered them credible per se... I heard them from some friends in Orlando, on property, on here etc. Nothing I didn't take with a BIG grain of salt.
I hope you're right, I feel the owners there deserve the advantage it'd give them.

Hi all I am new to this so I'm unsure how often they revamp the point charts, but do you think they will change significantly from 2011 to 2012 based on history? TIA

No one really knows what will happen for 2012. The points charts for 2009 was different than the one for 2010 and the 2010 chart was different than the one for 2011. We joined in 2007 and the points for 2007, 2008, and 2009 were the same. Now the charts for 2010 and 2011 are different. If I had to bet, I would figure that the points will be different again in 2012.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter