Does DVC make you feel like you're a member of a private club . . . an exclusive private club?

There are a few small moments where I can say yes to the OP. Visiting the Epcot DVC lounge.... The Christmas members thing where they give the ornament.... Sure I know we "pay" for this things (and the Christmas bash thing... Forget the name... Is them just trying to sell extra merchandise) but when there are non DVC owners looking curiously at during those times... I can see how one gets that feel.

After some recent and not so recent shenanigans.... And owning for long enough and paying enough dues..... You see it for what it really is... Just a prepaid disney hotel room. Don't get me wrong... It's definitely benefited us.... It's not that exclusive

Nope.

Anyone can buy the mostly tacky DVC merchandise. It's like wearing a Harley-Davidson shirt.

After the discussion of wearing red on New Year's and the Topolino party, I started wondering if all the DVC members who go nuts for the slightest thing would all pony up to buy red DVC underpants, and I concluded probably.

And Disney absolutely do/have sold underpants before, so that's not a limiter. I remember some Pocahontas boxer shorts at Disneyland quite specifically.

Nope, nothing exclusive about it. It's just a financial tool - an alternate way to pay for villa-style lodging at DVC resorts.

"Private" or "Exclusive," to me, implies that only members can use the club resorts, and that's not the case. Anyone can book a villa, member or not.

Except for some small perks, many of which are shared with AP holders, anyone can have the exact same vacation experience as a DVC member. The only difference between us members and the non-members staying at the resorts is that we pre-paid for our lodging and get a break on the cost of rooms.

I feel better as a DVC member than belonging to club 33. The only thing that comes close to being Moe exclusive than DVC is owning at Golden Oak.

There are a few small moments where I can say yes to the OP. Visiting the Epcot DVC lounge....

Having hosted a friend and showing them the Epcot lounge and the fireworks from the TOTWL felt kind of exclusive, yes.

But I am aware that such perks can go away on short notice and that DVC is fundamentally just a timeshare.

I would really *rather* join an exclusive club like the Golden Oaks club, but I'll admit that DVC still has a few nice moments... :)

It was a brilliant marketing plan and execution. When buying some 10 years ago, a person felt like they were part of a special Club. Now, with all the restrictions, it is just another Time Share. I have learned to ignore most of the new management direction (except for the lock premium and reallocation of point charts which still fries me). My family still loves going to Disney World, and we still have great vacation and memories. So, we still love the Disney Bubble, but no, it no longer has the special club feeling.

It was a brilliant marketing plan and execution. When buying some 10 years ago, a person felt like they were part of a special Club. Now, with all the restrictions, it is just another Time Share. I have learned to ignore most of the new management direction (except for the lock premium and reallocation of point charts which still fries me). My family still loves going to Disney World, and we still have great vacation and memories. So, we still love the Disney Bubble, but no, it no longer has the special club feeling.
This is exactly right.

What an interesting question. Interesting enough to have me respond for the first time in at least 15 years, perhaps 20. I feel as if the initial question, while mentioning exclusivity wouldn’t define it solely by financial terms or ones ability to join without an interview-like process. There are many clubs in all walks of life where entrance is merely a formality of ancestry, income, legacy, etcetera. And so, my reply is a bit more emotionally based.

I bought my “club” contract in 1994. Then added four more contracts over the next 15 years. So, obviously I was all in. Having a career in finance I knew I wasn’t buying as an investment, but did recognize the cost benefit. But that wasn’t why I bought more points. Yes, we were made to feel more special in the early years. But just about every trip finds a new way for me to surprised at Disney service levels and offerings. While many complain about what’s being taken away, I tend to think of all that is, has or will be done when contractually Disney doesn’t have to do so many of what they do provide. One could say, I would get that same feeling as a rack rate hotel guest, but this is where I feel the tribalism and consistency the original poster hinted at sways my response.

My children were 1 and 4 when I first bought...and I remember soon thereafter them enjoying the point of a cast member to the Hospitality House and a “Welcome Home”. Surprises and special moments were around every corner. One year, my son slipped in the hot tub and split his chin open and Disney folks while obviously there concerned about litigation and what-not, did far more that night and in the coming days than was necessary. We began to take other families with us on DVC vacations becoming WDW experts and they would posit to others about this club we were in. WDW jingoism began to infiltrate our vernacular...”have a magical day” became something that not only my boys would echo, but our friends would soon join in on. While at home or somewhere other than WDW DVC chasing the elusive magic, my kids would say “it smells like Disney” or “it’s almost like DVC”. Now, we’re empty nesters and my boys are men living lives on their own. But they still join us at the World from time to time and it’s not just because Mom and Dad will pick up the tab. While perhaps the use of “exclusivity” is too multi faceted a word — they and my wife and I feel special. Sure there’s some aspect of spending $30K, but it’s more. It’s sometimes just sitting poolside and invariably a new conversation will turn to “when did you get in”? Yes,the purchase price was the cost of admission, but there is a social and specialness component which comes with it.

My older son is getting married soon. At a family dinner, he playfully was telling his wife to be, “it’s time to talk about DVC”. She has already been with all us and knew plenty already. But my son continued to tease at her that she needed to “respect” Disney and our family DVC ancestry.

Going back to the original question, yeah, I believe there’s a sense of exclusivity (if nothing more there’s the binary aspect of either you’re in or you’re out. There’s history—certainly for me and my family’s 25 years. There is a verbiage and Disney-speak which is a cultural component. There is a familial facet, despite me not suggesting we are one big happy family. Like any family, or group, or nation, we have things we are proud of, and others bringing ******* or shame.

I’m in the beginning stages of creating the first Italian-American chapter club in North Carolina. I only hope that we are similar to Disney and DVC in culture and aspiration.

What an interesting question. Interesting enough to have me respond for the first time in at least 15 years, perhaps 20. I feel as if the initial question, while mentioning exclusivity wouldn’t define it solely by financial terms or ones ability to join without an interview-like process. There are many clubs in all walks of life where entrance is merely a formality of ancestry, income, legacy, etcetera. And so, my reply is a bit more emotionally based.
EXACTLY! Thank you so much for taking the time to write out this post. What wonderful stuff.

[
I disagree - please see what VincentNC wrote.
You posed the question:

Does DVC make you feel like you're a member of a private club . . . an exclusive private club?

and then you dismiss the opinion of a poster that doesn't jive with your own. Did you want honest answers or only those that you agree with?

I'm certain there are as many ways to feel about DVC as there are members, but based upon me and my wife's feelings I would say we feel like we're members of an exclusive club. It seems like others feel the same way.

I mean, you are a "member" right (not just an owner)? So there's even some language queues that support this. Perks and other benefits (aside from the rooms your points will provide) seem like privileges of membership.

The clothing and other swag about DVC make it seem exclusive, no? There is a sort of tribalism to it all; like being a Notre Dame fan (which I am not).

Or am I all wrong and it's just a darn timeshare and who cares, nothing to see here?

Nope.

The clothing and swag doesn't seem any different to me than any other logo'd items that places sell, especially Disney.

Once they started eliminating things for certain owners I lost any bit of "club" feeling that I may have had although it really wasn't much to start with.

It's a timeshare which they keep demonstrating more and more as the years go on. As far as exclusive it's not. Anyone with the desire and funds to purchase can.

We all have groups we have things in common with for various reasons. Often it's just a matter of circumstance.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter