• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does DL strictly enforce height restrictions?

The sort of shoes that are appropriate for a full day of walking around DL generally have a nice thick sole to them. I would measure her at home in her Disney walking shoes. I suggest measuring in the afternoon when you're shorter to get the worst case scenario at home and then trying the big rides at DL in the morning.

here's my story my son had a Dr.'s appt before we went and was measured at 46 1/2 inches (my son is autistic by the way) and he wanted to ride Indiana, after ,uch debating and knowing what he can and can't handle (every autistic kid is different) we had a fastpass and they measured him and said he was good to go he had to wait a bit in the fast pass line here's where he had a freakout as enclosed spaces are an issue but ,y son didn't want to leave the line. wll finally we get to the jeeps and right as we get on the CM measures him again and says he wasn't tall enough. ***!!! I was NOT happy and went back to the outside and asked for a lead and my son was now having a major meltdown, they are trying to remeasure him and claim he is just right there and they are trying to get him to stand up tall but he doesn't want to be touchedand I am questioning their measuring pole as his own doctor said he is 46 1/2 inches well Tyler was having no more so we left and ended up having to gp back to the hotel because of his meltdown. I...was....pissed.
I doubt that their measuring poles are accurate as they aren't even on level ground and if one CM says he is ok then they should have made him wait in an enclosed area only for another CM to tell him no, there needs to be some consistency.

A few important things to remember when it comes to measuring up to size at DLR:

1. It does not matter what your child measured as at home, at the doctor's, yesterday at one attraction or 10 minutes ago at another attraction. The only thing that matters is how your child measures at that moment before getting on the specific attraction you are at. If a piece of paper can slide between your child's head and the measuring stick mark, your child will not ride. It's that simple.

2. We are ALL taller when we first get up than we are at night. If your child is borderline, ride that thing first.

3. Riding various attractions pushes down on us gravitationally. The more you do during a day, the more you are pushed down (i.e. the shorter you are, even if only even so slightly). If your child is close, this can make the difference.

4. CMs are strict because it's about safety. If they say no, it's best for your child's safety to go with it and help your child understand that there are many other wonderful things to do. Arguing with the CM is not going to help. They measure people all day long, every day.

- Dreams

all I ask for is consistency he was cleared to ride period, that should have been the end of it. In my opinion the top of his head did hit the pole, I'm not sure a piece of paper could have fit under there.
And again I question the accuracy of the measuring poles

I have to agree w/ Minuet. Having multiple measuring spots doesn't make sense. Why wait in line for something you aren't allowed to ride (after being told you could?). I agree that thet are inconsistent. My 5-yr-old rode Space Mountain twice at WDW last year, but the wouldn't let her on Expedition Everest (same HR). The measuring stick for EE was on uneven ground and the kids had to stand lower than the stick's baseline! She cried, but at least she hadn't actually waited in line for the ride...

I wish Disney would have height bracelets, so that once the kids were measured there would no longer be any question.

I've found they are very strict with height requirements.

Last Fall my youngest daughter finally touched the height stick on the Indiana Jones ride, yet they wouldn't let her ride. :confused3 Said she was too short... yet her head touched the stick. You couldn't even fit a piece of paper in there.

(So now 6 months later, I REALLY hope they let her ride this time! LOL)

I have to agree w/ Minuet. Having multiple measuring spots doesn't make sense. Why wait in line for something you aren't allowed to ride (after being told you could?).

Having a second measuring spot at the ride vehicles ensures people didn't "sneak past" the ride host.

I wish Disney would have height bracelets, so that once the kids were measured there would no longer be any question.

The problem with wrist bands is that families with taller children with get bands, wiggle them off, and put them on shorter children.

That being said, more consistency would be nice. Some amusement parks have measurement devices that are mounted on a metal base. That would control for uneven ground.

My middle DD was borderline at our last visit. If we could get her to stand up tall, she was fine, but she hates being measured, and would sometimes not cooperate. She was able to ride Soarin' and Silly Symphony Swings, but not Thunder Mountain. As other posters have said, there are also lots of other variables - shoes, strictness of the CM, patience of the CM if the child is having trouble cooperating, slight stick variations, time of day, etc.

I would have her practice standing up straight and being measured (at least that was our biggest problem), and also come up with a backup plan if she doesn't measure up, (or doesn't measure up on some of the rides). Maybe you can take her on another favorite ride, or let her get a special treat, or pick where you eat for lunch, or something. I know it is hard when kids are disappointed :sad1:, but it's good that Disney sticks to its safety policies.

We're gonna be in the same predicament w/ my 4-yr-old next month. 39.25" at last measurement... I too was wondering if shoes count towards the height. If they do, she'll probably be fine (tennies raise her up wnough to hit 40"), but if not...I'm prepping her that she may not be tall enough, but hoping for a growth spurt in the meantime.

You've got time! My 2 year old son went from 38 to 39.5 in less than 1 month before we got to Disney. I was shocked to see how much he grew, though we weren't sure we wanted to take a 2 year old on any of the 40 inch rides anyway. He didn't quite hit the mark on the one sign we checked him on Big Thunder Mountain, but that was ok, at only 2 I didn't think he would really like it anyway. The only ride I think he would have enjoyed that he was too short for was Soarin'.

I have known of many people who have went out a bought shoes that made their kids reach the height requirement. My friends son still wears his cowboy boots even though he has finally met the hight requirement without them he loves them.

For me the height requirmnt is for the safety of your children. I remember when my son was tall enough to ride thunder mountain that one still worried me because he was so skinny i always thought he could just slide out. That was his favorite and he never slid out.

The problem with wrist bands is that families with taller children with get bands, wiggle them off, and put them on shorter children.

On our second trip to California Adventure (when it first opened) I remember they had a wrist band system where my children were measured after we walked thru the entrance. I don't remember ever seeing it again but I didn't think that people would be taking them off for their younger children.

Monica

Didn't they have them at one point? I vaguely remember getting one when I was a kid back in the day! maybe it was knotts... I forget it was so long ago...

My daughters were also very close on height restrictions for a couple of rides recently at WDW. 47.5 inches. We did get some good advice from a CM. She told them to take a deep breath and hold it while being measured. I was surprised, but it probably did add about a quarter inch in height which is sometimes enough when they are really close.

I agree that the height restrictions are USUALLY there for safety reasons, but remember reading about Stitch's Great Escape at the MK. It has a 40" HR, but that restriction was previously lower. They moved it up not because of safety, but because some smaller kids were getting scared on the ride!

I don't want to put my child at risk at all, but did want to know if the 40" is with or without shoes (because 40" with shoes might be considered 39" without shoes), as this will directly affect my borderline-height child (who is shorter than a lot of kids a year younger than her).

Actually, they bumped the height restriction on WDW's Stitch's Great Escape up to 40" because the shoulder equipment will not come down to the shoulders of kids under 40" so they don't feel any of the special effects.

Oh, and a few napkins in the heels of the shoes can raise a child up just a bit...when it is that close. (But it won't help on the Stitch attraction.) :)

Actually, they bumped the height restriction on WDW's Stitch's Great Escape up to 40" because the shoulder equipment will not come down to the shoulders of kids under 40" so they don't feel any of the special effects.

Oh, and a few napkins in the heels of the shoes can raise a child up just a bit...when it is that close. (But it won't help on the Stitch attraction.) :)
I could be misinformed, but they seemed like reliable sources about reason behind the height requirement change.
http://touringplans.com/magic-kingdom/attractions/stitchs-great-escape
http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide/28...gic-Kingdom/Tomorrowland/Stitchs-Great-Escape

Regardless, the height requirement is not due to a safety issue.

Pretty talls add an inch, as do many standard tennis shoes and crocs. I think that they would probably be fine. What may get you into trouble w/ the CMs are platforms or boots w/ more than a 1” heel.

They check and double check. At Indy last year my 5yo son passed (barely) at the entrance to the ride but was turned away at the loading - he was stunned and sad but that was the rules and we respectfully followed them

I think the issue is with those kids who sometimes measure up and sometimes don't, from ride to ride, all of which have the same height requirement. Better to just firmly establish for yourself before you go whether your kid is going to consistently hit the height requirement or not, so you can avoid disappointment. This conversation really only applies to those kids who are right at the 40 inch mark, and may measure a bit shorter from one ride to another. Nobody is suggesting we put 5 inch heels on our 35 inch kid.

As previous posters have pointed out, the measuring signs are not always level with the ground, etc.

My kid has at least a dozen pair of shoes. She is a different height in every pair of shoes. I'll find the tennis shoes that have the thickest soles for this trip to avoid disappointment since she is literally 39.9 inches tall right now, and we have a month before we travel. I don't think that's cheating or going against the rules. It's just logical.

But no, arguing with CM's does not set a good example for my children (and ruins the day), so I won't be doing that if she doesn't measure up. We are preparing our 39.9 inch princess that she may not get to go on Space Mountain. Expect the best and prepare for the worst.... that's the best advice I've got.

By the way, the Skechers are just regular tennis shoes with a slightly thicker heel. It's not like they are elevator shoes.

If you want to see a really nasty argument on this topic, go here.

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a21186289/shoes_to_add_height_for_amusement_park

I'm glad DISers are so much more respectful than the people at this other link.... but if you are like me you may see some humor in it.

P.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter