• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does disney do anything special for someone's birthday?

The servers should know but I would never assume... definitely mention it to them and they will be sure to come out with a small dessert and sing as PincessShmoo noted. We just sailed with a friend who was celebrating his birthday. His mom ordered a cake from guest services so we could all share it with the whole table (and we enjoyed it more than the birthday dessert they provide). They have a few different options to choose from and I think they are fairly reasonably priced.

Mike Birthday.jpg

how do I list birthday in the reservation?
If you've already made the reservation, you need to call to have it added to the "notes" section.

If you haven't made the reservation yet, there's usually a spot where they ask "Are you celebrating anything?" during the process. Unless that's something else that's been dropped.

It is under the "special requests" area on your intinerary.
This will also be the place where you can note any dietary needs or requests ahead of time.

We celebrated my daughters 14th birthday on our September cruise (she actually turned 14 two days after we disembarked) and they sang to her and brought her a lovely dessert of her choice.

Also they know the birth dates of everyone sailing :cutie:
Yes, it's on the reservation as part of the personal info. But whether that info actually makes it to those who need to know-----well, not often. Unless you make a specific comment about the celebration on the reservation (and follow up with mentioning it to your server).

On our very first night of the cruise, our server had asked me what day we wanted Nancy's birthday celebration to be held. We chose Thursday because it would be closest to her actual birthday and NOT on the final night of the cruise when it might have gotten lost in the shuffle. :)

This year when we sail in September again, she will turn 15 on Pirate night. :)

Funny story to tell about that last birthday celebration and our awesome serving team. :)
They brought the dessert and put it in front of my husband and started singing to him. Our server was mortified and he was scolded by the head server (which was NOT the funny part by the way)
We immediately assured the head server and our serving team that there was no need to be worried about it and that Nancy was old enough to appreciate the humor in the situation. She was smiling as we moved the dessert to her side of the table and they quickly changed gears and sang to her. lol

It was really odd though since the server and I had discussed that it was her birthday a couple of times during the week AND the night before. Poor guy was so embarrassed , I felt horrible for him.

And of course, all our birthdates were on the reservation, but I don't think they look at them too closely unless you note special requests and such. And in this particular case, that didn't work either.
I would put in the special request if you can, as well as address it with the team the first night if they don't approach you on it first. As a plan B. :)

The first night at dinner I check with our head server to see if they are aware of any special celebrations I'd requested when I made our reservation. So far, so good, as they've always had it noted down.

On our first cruise we discovered that two ladies at our table had birthdays on the two days preceding DW's. When I asked the head server about DW I also asked if he also the other two women. He didn't but made a note to confirm that information. The next night they brought out a large cake for all three! Our entire table, except for me, was totally surprised as none of them knew DCL celebrated passenger birthdays. But, I'm glad that now they do a smaller individual birthday dessert as the cake was too big for all of us to eat after we'd already had dessert.

We did not list mine of the reservatiom of our first Disney Cruise. However, my fiance (then boyfriend) bought on of the in room celebrations and put my birthday on our Palo reservation. The next day our head server sat us and said he and was so upset! He said he was so looking forward to celebrating my birthday and then we didn't come. I told him we were at Palo to celebrate. Well sure enough at the end of dinner they sang Happy Birthday to me and gave me the cake. Then the next night the final night they did jt again! The experience really made us love Disney cruises and we ended up booking a 7 day after that.

We celebrated my DD's birthday on a Disney Cruise when she was 7, 9, and 13. We will be on the Magic next week for her golden birthday when she turns 21. Also my DH's birthday is two days later so we will be celebrating the fourth time for him as well. The servers do such a nice job to make it special, and we've taken a lot of cake back to our stateroom over the years. We ended up throwing most of it away because it really wasn't that good and there are so many desserts during the cruise that we just didn't eat it. I welcome the little individual dessert idea this time, and the rest of us can choose what we want!

That is cool. I was just thinking that I have never seen them do a birthday celebration in the dining rooms before :p

It's funny you mention that. In my four cruises, I have never seen any birthday hullabaloo in the MDR either.

I am glad this was posted because we just booked a trip where my daughter will celebrate her 11th b-day, and I was wondering what the gamut of birthday "pluses" were available, either gratis or at an up-charge. Far as I can tell, you've got:

Cake
Special dessert
Button (and whatever pluses may granted because of it)
"Happy Birthday" sung by servers
Room decorations

Did I miss anything?

We were on the Wonder a couple of weeks ago and their were celebrations in the MDR every single night and most of the time there were several on the same night. I know on the first night our server asked if we were celebrating anything special while on our cruise so I'm sure they would have lined something up if we had said yes.

To be honest I didn't care for the celebrations as all of a sudden there would be a loud commotion half way across the dining room with a group of waiters singing and clapping. I know if startled us a few times and I kind of got the feeling we were more at a Texas Roadhouse rather than at a MDR on a cruise ship.

Last year I celebrated my birthday onboard the Fantasy (in fact, the sailing right now is the one we were on!). I got a birthday button, a birthday cake--with all the servers (even some not ours) came over to sing, a Magical Moments Certificate, and our room hostess gave me a towel animal and a button as well. We were on Castaway Cay the day of my birthday (talk about the perfect birthday!) and the drink server "bought" my konk cooler...come to find out it was our tablemates...lol...the server only "took credit" for a little bit. It was cute though. It was a fun day and Disney spread out the surprises so it lasted all day. Our fish extender group also left random messages on our white board and special magnets. I will say I almost forgot I was turning a rather significant number that day! ;)

Lovely!
My granddaughter's birthday is our embarkation day I'll make sure to mention her birthday upon boarding. She will be delighted!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter