Does dining plan make sense for us?

2minny

DIS Veteran
We are a family of five (kids ages 13, 11 and 8), but we're not big eaters, we would much rather have a snack for a meal and make more time for rides and shows. Even when we eat out at home, we rarely order appetizer or dessert, we get too full from our entree and rarely even finish the main course. We usually share meals. We're just not big meal eaters, we would rather more frenquent smaller meals or snack-type meals with one nice meal each day. Does the dining plan make sense for us? It sounds like a great deal if you want appetizers, meal and dessert. We've been to DW numerous times, but have never tried the dining plan.

Depends... honestly I think it's a bargain. If you'll be doing any sit down dinners during the day I think it's worth it even without the apps, etc. I would consider what you'd spend normally and if it's close to the DDP price than I would go for it since you'll have everything payed for ahead of time.

Just because an appetizer and dessert is included, doesn't mean you have to get it. We skipped desserts a few times because we were just too full.

You are right about meals eating into your park time, especially if you are getting the appetizers.

For your family I am thinking you should just skip the plan and go with out of pocket.

IMO, it's a great deal if you like to eat both TS and CS meals. In my experience, it works out to paying for the TS meal and getting the CS meal and snack "free". Even if you don't order an appetizer or dessert for everyone it's still a great deal, and it's really nice to go on vacation and have nearly everything paid in advance. One less worry! :)

We've done the dining plan twice and I think next time we might try going with an Annual Pass and the Disney Dining Experience card. Based on what we'd eat, it will probably run us an extra $10-$20 more per day than the DDP, but we prefer the table service meals at Disney and we also plan to go offsite a few times so the dining plan just doesn't make as much sense for us this time around.

You really can't beat DDP for ease of use though. It's really easy and very convenient! :thumbsup2

I always suggest....forget all you CAN get. Look at the menus/prices at allears.net and figure about what you'd spend and compare it to the dining plan. There are A LOT of buffets which can be rather quick (with an adr and if they haven't gotten backed up like occasionally happens but not too bad). The dining plan can actually work really well with sharing, frequent small meals. You can use a few credits here and there and split them for cs meals. You dont HAVE to get all that comes with the table services and you still may well come out ahead. I thought no way 100 a day was reasonable for our family. Then I looked at the fact that 3 character meals + 2-3 cs meals per meal time I was still only saving about 100 have driven us all crazy trying to stay within the budget. So for ease I chose the dining. And that didnt even include snacks which were quite limited when I went. The big problem you may run into with sharing meals throughout the day would be trying to make the kid meals work out as something that could be shared. Again scanning menus would be a very good idea.

thanks, you all are wonderful, I'll compare menu prices and see if it's worth it for us.

With three children you may be planning some character meals. If you spread them out and have some as breakfast and some as lunch (to get a little break) and maybe one or two as dinners then you may find that the meal plan will work very well for you. If you are thinking in terms of two hours away from the park for a three course meal that may not work for you. The plan has some built in flexibility so you could find that though it doesn't save you 50% on your meals it may be a break even with the convienience of all being pre paid. If however you are used to just counter service meals then the DDP may not be for you.

To the OP, yes we are in the same boat. We usually eat a healty breakfast and then look forward to a TS meal in the early evening. Does all this DDP cut into touring times? Are the long lines for CS meals all the time? We too enjoy the rides and adventures and don't have the eat all the time. I'm also concerned about the amount of burgers/chicken fingers and fried foods? Are there healthy low sodium/low fat options for the CS meals?
I have to admit TS for 4 every night for 10 nights - the plan almost pays for itself. Just thinking hard about weather or not to get DDP for 4 for our 10 day stay at FW. :confused3

This is so helpful. My neighbor tells me I'm crazy not to do the DDP. But we are not "big" eaters either. And frankly, most days we eat a nutri-grain bar in the room for b'fast, have a nice lunch, and then do a quick light dinner. Since my kids are older, we might only do one or two character meals. I just don't see how it is worth it for us. Plus, I know me - if I have food paid for up front, I might feel compelled to eat it - and I will eat it all! I have no restraint, especially at my favorite place on earth!

The dining plans are good for us because before it, we would get into some heated debates about the cost. It would drive my DH insane when DD wanted a hotdog for $6 dollars and only ate 2 bites. This way, it's not a problem. It's like all our meals are free!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter