• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does DCL ever overbook cruises?

frozeninroch

Earning My Ears
Hi. I'm getting ready for my 1st ever cruise (2/19 Wonder). Thanks for all the great tips on this board.

While checking to see how full my cruise was this morning (which I do periodically), today I saw several different choices of rooms STILL AVAILABLE, in almost ALL categories - on several sites (expedia, travelocity, cruise-locator). The last time I checked (a few days ago) only family suites were available. Now, a few hours later, suddenly the cruise is completely sold out - in every category. So, I'm wondering if what I saw this morning was a mistake. And, what if someone booked one of those staterooms? Does Disney ever overbook a cruise & if so what do they do about it?

I would think it is highly unlikely - because a cruise isn't like an airline where you can ask for volunteers to wait for the next flight!

More than likely since this cruise is so close to sailing date some of the staterooms that were "held" by a travel agent, etc might have been opened up or there was a large party cancellation maybe.

In any event there are always folks looking for a last minute get a way. And usually the Florida resident rates are pretty good.

Deb

It also depends on whether or not you're trying to book a room with kids. Even though rooms may show as available, if they have reached the maximum number of kids, they will not let you book a room with children.

First, are you always specifying the same number of passengers when you check on Expedia, Travelocity, or Cruise-Locator? That can make a big difference in what you see.

Next, I've noticed that cruise reservation sites sometimes tell you that there is no availability at all -- and then, a few mintes later, there's plenty of availability again. My guess is that if there is a communication glitch between the reservation site server and the cruise line server, the reservation systems tells you that there is no availability.

Finally, to answer the question, "Does DCL ever overbook cruises?" -- I'm sure they do, espcially prior to the 60-day mark. They know what percentage of people typically cancel instead of paying their balance. DCL offers GTY rooms, knowing that they'll be able to accomodate the guests. But, unlike with airlines, I've never heard of a guest being bumped or even of DCL asking for volunteers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter