Does BLT have wireless or cabled internet?

JaneSparrow

Mouseketeer
When we went to SSR in 2011, we had to bring a router so just need to know if we need to bring it again for this trip.

BLT is strictly wireless. We were at BLT in early June and the wi-fi was very reliable and fast. It was a vast improvement over the poor wi-fi we had on previous trips in 2012.

All DVC resorts at WDW are now wireless. The hard wired connections have been disconnected.

FYI the connection speed is usually slow, not fast enough for streaming video. Per the tech support people the Disney contract did not take into consideration that every member of the family would be connecting and downloading on their devices.

:earsboy: Bill

It has wireless but when we were there in February it was awful. The ipad kept dropping the wifi cionnection every mi ute or so almost unusable. At Kidani it had been no problem.

Yes, don't cheer too quickly about WDW switching to entirely wireless in the rooms. Very often it does not work well. Disney apparently decided to go cheap with wireless. Other major upper crust hotel chains also went cheap but they did it over 10 years ago, learned their lesson and put in better systems. Disney, which is apparently always 10 years behind everyone else in anything that is related to computers or the Internet, seems to have decided to repeat the original stupidity of other major hotel chains and likely it will take a few more years for it to make a change.

Thanks - one of my friends is planning to work while on vacation and I will let her know that it could be a problem

All DVC resorts at WDW are now wireless. The hard wired connections have been disconnected.

FYI the connection speed is usually slow, not fast enough for streaming video. Per the tech support people the Disney contract did not take into consideration that every member of the family would be connecting and downloading on their devices.

:earsboy: Bill

Really? That's disappointing to hear. Way to plan for the future. LOL

Thanks - one of my friends is planning to work while on vacation and I will let her know that it could be a problem

If the work is essential, it would be wise to have a backup option available. Most smartphones can be configured to serve as a short range wifi hotspot. That's usually adequate for most rudimentary business needs (checking email from a laptop, transferring documents, etc.)

The cell phone carrier may charge an extra fee for this service so it's worth fully investigating before departure.

If the company is large, the IT department may provide temporary use of a portable hotspot.

If all else fails, wifi in public areas of resorts (like the lobby) are usually not as stressed as in the guest rooms. Find a quiet corner of the lobby and complete the necessary work.

Note that all hotel wifi is on a public network so it's wise to initiate a secure VPN connection whenever possible. Especially when confidential work-related tasks are being completed.

We stayed at AKV, BLT and OKW in September of 2012...Only place I could get a reliable connection was at OKW...That was the one disappointment we had on our trip...Hope they have addressed the connection issues this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter