Does anywhere have lactose free ice cream?

BensWife

DIS Veteran
I suffer from lactose intolerance. Do you know any ice cream places in DL or DCA that serves lactose free ice cream? I miss my Mickey ice cream bar, and would love to have an alternative. I think Dole Whips are dairy free, but I am one of those weirdos that thinks the Dole Whip is just ok. Thanks!

Not ice cream, but you can get soy or coconut milk frappucinos at Starbucks. Some TS places have sorbet for dessert, but none of the scoop shops currently have it. There's also frozen bananas and fruit bars at the carts. Have you tried lactaid pills?

I think you may be able to get a sorbet or sherbet at Ghirardelli in DCA.
You're right, they do have lemon sorbet. I realized after I posted that I didn't include Ghirardelli when I was thinking of the in park places that sell ice cream.

The last time I inquired, Ghirardelli had raspberry and mango sorbet. We had the mango; it was fantastic.

While not ice cream, Dole whip is both lactose and gluten free! It's a must for us each trip as we know it is safe and delicious.
Mike

DGD is allergic to dairy, so interested.....we take her in Dec. for her first DL trip.
We were in WDW last Dec, and the ice cream parlour there had Rice Dream and Tofutti.....nothing like that at DL?

You might try asking this question on the Facebook group "Disney Chefs Rock Food Allergies". I'm sure they will know what dairy free options are available at Disneyland.

DGD is allergic to dairy, so interested.....we take her in Dec. for her first DL trip.
We were in WDW last Dec, and the ice cream parlour there had Rice Dream and Tofutti.....nothing like that at DL?
Not that I've seen. We have multiple lactose intolerant people in our family. Dole whip and strawberry fruit bars at ice cream stands are the only icy in park snacks we've found. We had a horrendous experience at Ghirardelli and will not return. When we want sorbet/ ice cream we hit up downtown Disney Haggen Dazs.

Nope. It may be different at WDW, but at DLR the scoop shops are not operated by Disney. I think the ice cream at Golden Horseshoe is Disney, but it's so small I doubt the volume justifies stocking a specialty item.

Does Ghirardelli or Haggen Daz take precautions to prevent cross contamination?

Last time I checked, the chocolate on the frozen bananas had milk.

It does stink that DL doesn't have the ice cream or cheese alternatives that they have at WDW. At least they're as good with safety.

It does stink that DL doesn't have the ice cream or cheese alternatives that they have at WDW. At least they're as good with safety.
I forgot about Haagen Dazs, they should also have sorbet. You'd have to ask them what they do. I know at Gibson Girl you have to specifically request that they wash the scoop because some of the flavors have gluten. I doubt that anyplace has a dedicated scoop.

The OP only asked about lactose, some milk in the chocolate may be ok.

The one time we got sorbet at Ghiradelli, they asked if it was for an allergy, when I said yes, they asked if it was severe (I said yes again). They then gave a spiel about how they couldn't guarantee no cross-contamination, but put an allergy note on the order. When they served it, they repeated that it was an allergy item. The baby ate the sorbet and didn't get sick from it.

There is always a Frappacino made with coconut milk - the vanilla one does taste quite a bit like a milkshake. Starbucks always makes me very nervous, though. It would just be so easy for them to make a mistake. I've seen mistakes many times on non-allergy orders...

The one time we got sorbet at Ghiradelli, they asked if it was for an allergy, when I said yes, they asked if it was severe (I said yes again). They then gave a spiel about how they couldn't guarantee no cross-contamination, but put an allergy note on the order. When they served it, they repeated that it was an allergy item. The baby ate the sorbet and didn't get sick from it.

There is always a Frappacino made with coconut milk - the vanilla one does taste quite a bit like a milkshake. Starbucks always makes me very nervous, though. It would just be so easy for them to make a mistake. I've seen mistakes many times on non-allergy orders...
Starbucks does use a dedicated non-dairy blender. But some of their ingredients contain dairy, like pumpkin spice. If someone ordered a soy pumpkin spice would they use the non-dairy blender? Again, probably not an issue for the OP with lactose intolerance, but for allergies that would be something to ask.

What happened? I've only had one experience there, and it was good. However, since my baby is very allergic to milk, it would be good to know others' experiences as well.
We ordered for 5 people & they tell us to wait for our ice cream in the wrong place, when we realized we found all of our sorbets/ice creams a melty mess & explained what happened to a worker who was extremely rude and would not remedy the situation in any way and when we did start eating the melty mess they had even messed up a couple of the individual orders. Needless to say we were quite scarred. Many others report excellent experiences though, so while I will not give them my business I try not to discourage others from trying them out.

Not ice cream, but you can get soy or coconut milk frappucinos at Starbucks. Some TS places have sorbet for dessert, but none of the scoop shops currently have it. There's also frozen bananas and fruit bars at the carts. Have you tried lactaid pills?

Is that a universal Starbucks thing? I don't go to starbucks often but that's good to know.

I love this thread. My kids have a dairy allergy and it's good to know where to find treat options for them.

Is that a universal Starbucks thing? I don't go to starbucks often but that's good to know.

I love this thread. My kids have a dairy allergy and it's good to know where to find treat options for them.
Soy milk, yes. Coconut milk I think is still rolling out, though my local stores have it. There's an upcharge of 60 cents which is the same for all size drinks. Also, there is dairy in some of their flavors, so definitely ask before ordering. Also if you just get coffee or espresso and not a latte they will add some soy milk for free, since it's not out in the thermoses.

Is just taking some Lactaid with the dairy an option?

This is what I was going to suggest too. I'm also lactose intolerant and this is what I do because I must have my waffle cone! But different people can tolerate different amounts so it may not work for everyone. I've found after several days in a row of doing this, it is too much and I then I have to hold off for a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter