• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone work for IKEA?

FordFusion

Earning My Ears
They are opening a new IKEA very close to my home, and I am thinking about working there. Just wanted to get any comments or tips from anyone who is working/worked for IKEA. Is the hourly rate they start at pretty competitive?

They have made Forbes top 100 companies to work for list a few times- and I also saw a list in some magazine like "Parents" or something where they listed 'top 100 companies for working women' and IKEA was number 1 or 2 if I recall correctley. Good luck.

CheapMom said:
They have made Forbes top 100 companies to work for list a few times- and I also saw a list in some magazine like "Parents" or something where they listed 'top 100 companies for working women' and IKEA was number 1 or 2 if I recall correctley. Good luck.

Thanks, just wondering what they start their co-workers at... :confused3

Hey FordFusion,
By any chance are you located in MI?
I'm so excited about the new Ikea store coming up!!! :teeth:

cseca said:
Hey FordFusion,
By any chance are you located in MI?
I'm so excited about the new Ikea store coming up!!! :teeth:

I was thinking the same thing. It won't be too near our house, but rather close to DH's work and certainly in traveling distance.

My BIL was over in Chicago last week and shopped around in the one there. He was talking with a staff member and she was telling him to make it at the opening no mater what. The 1st person in line gets a lot of gifts and the 1st 100 or so (don't remember the number) also get free gifts.

I was asking him if Ikea employees are like Disney ones and love to start untrue rumors. :rotfl:

DisneyPhD said:
He was talking with a staff member and she was telling him to make it at the opening no mater what. The 1st person in line gets a lot of gifts and the 1st 100 or so (don't remember the number) also get free gifts.

I was asking him if Ikea employees are like Disney ones and love to start untrue rumors. :rotfl:

How cool!!!! :teeth:
I love Ikea... they're like disney to me... they can make me spend too much $... hehe...
Maybe I'll see you there on the opening day :cool1:

I am seriously considering flying to my parents home for the ikea opening! They live in Belleville! My sister has wednesdays off and its scheduled to open on a wednesday.
Okay so totally off the OP's topic but I love IKEA!!! :Pinkbounc

The 1st person in line gets a lot of gifts and the 1st 100 or so (don't remember the number) also get free gifts.

You may have to get there several weeks before the opening to be the first in line. When they opened the new store here in IL last Sept, I think that the guy in line had been camping out in front of the store for close to 2 weeks. For his effort, he was rewarded with $3,000.00 in IKEA gift cards.

They are opening a new IKEA very close to my home, and I am thinking about working there. Just wanted to get any comments or tips from anyone who is working/worked for IKEA. Is the hourly rate they start at pretty competitive?

From what I've heard, yes. When our store began hiring last year, my daughter got an unexpected raise (she works at Joann Fabrics). Her boss asked said it was because he wanted to keep her from going to apply at IKEA. She still doesnt' get the tuition benefits or insurance that IKEA offers but she really likes her job and she can walk there if need be. She's covered under DH's insurance as long as she a full time college student but it sure would be nice to have some help paying the tuition.

Here's what I found about IKEA

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/about_ikea/press_room/press_release/national/fortune_100_best.html

As part of its strong commitment to work/life balance, IKEA offers family-friendly initiatives and diverse workplace benefits including full medical/dental insurance to coworkers working 20 hours or more per week with eligibility for domestic partners and children. In addition, coworkers with less than 20 hours a week are offered full access to full benefits. Other benefits include: paid maternity/paternity leave and paid time off for child adoption; tuition assistance; generous 401(k) matching; flexible work arrangements (job share, telecommuting and condensed work weeks); extensive professional development, training and mentoring programs; lactation rooms for nursing mothers; and discounts for weight loss and smoking cessation services. The organization does not subscribe to job titles and puts career opportunity into the hands of the individual, encouraging coworkers to take international assignments, with employment opportunities and tuition allowances for spouses. As a result of these benefits, the company has seen a continuous decline in its sales staff turnover, which was 36% in 2003, down from 56% in 2002 and 76% in 2000.

I love IKEA! Even though I have to go to a foreign country to shop at the closest one-Ottawa, Canada, 2 hours away, it is worth it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter