• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does anyone use data on their phone while at WDW?

wingnut3443

Walt Disney World...been there, haven't done it al
Does anyone use it?
Who are you with and how much does it cost.
I would love to be able to use Disney apps on my iPhone
I would like to use it but dont want to pay 1000000 dollars

I know Bell and Virgin have packages that make it cheaper. I basically only turn on data when I know I need it. I don't really enjoy bringing my phone with me because I usually am trying to escape the rest of the world.

You can buy a travel pack from all of the big three carriers: Rogers, Telus and Bell. Not sure about smaller carriers as we have never used them.

We have Blackberries, so data compression is very good, but we just cancelled our data packages (we had the monthly one as we are in US several times per month and Florida several weeks per year), and bought a US cell. No more fees to Rogers!

Just go on carrier's website, and see what your options are. As a word of warning, if you have an iPhone be prepared for heavy data usage.

Tiger

I am curious what would you need it for? I guess the only use I can think of is the line app from TP. Otherwise, pretty sure all hotels have wifi now, so if you need to look up something, you can do at your hotel.

I was considering it too, but don't know if it's worth the money (I have an iPhone).

We got the travel data pack from Rogers for our trip earlier in the month and loved it. I went no data the trip before and missed being able to look at CS menus and line wait times.

The big decider for getting it this time was that Disney now allows Canadian folks to get their Mobile Magic app! I even made dining reservations on the bus on the way to the park! (had some, but got better times) We had used Lines before, but Mobile Magic was much better.

I turned it on when we left the resort (free wi-fi there and while waiting for the bus) and then turned it off when we got back. I used 100mg over 6 days, but was also e-mailing pics to DH (in Russia at the time) that I could have sent from the hotel that night.

There is the data pack that folks have talked about.

I don't use my Cdn phone in the US much anymore after being stung with a $80 bill after our first 4 day trip to WDW where we just made a few quick calls and texts to each other - and it really was just a FEW to get in touch. We really didn't think it could have been that much.

We unlocked our cellphones and bought Tmobile prepaid SIM cards. We can get unlimited data and plenty of calls and texts for just $2 a day. Or if we don't want data, calls are just 10 cents a minute. Best of all, texting Canada is treated like a US text. Calling Canada is only 50 cents a minute.

Last summer I was in the US with a group of Cdn friends. I texted with them pretty much all day long (meet up here, I'm headed there, etc etc). Probably sent 50-100 texts. Don't know what their bills were like....Mine was a few dollars as it was 5 cents a text.

Also, about Mobile Magic - I tried to download it a couple of nights ago in Canada - and was denied saying I was in the wrong country :( I'll have to wait until we get to WDW to download it!

There is the data pack that folks have talked about.

I don't use my Cdn phone in the US much anymore after being stung with a $80 bill after our first 4 day trip to WDW where we just made a few quick calls and texts to each other - and it really was just a FEW to get in touch. We really didn't think it could have been that much.

We unlocked our cellphones and bought Tmobile prepaid SIM cards. We can get unlimited data and plenty of calls and texts for just $2 a day. Or if we don't want data, calls are just 10 cents a minute. Best of all, texting Canada is treated like a US text. Calling Canada is only 50 cents a minute.

Last summer I was in the US with a group of Cdn friends. I texted with them pretty much all day long (meet up here, I'm headed there, etc etc). Probably sent 50-100 texts. Don't know what their bills were like....Mine was a few dollars as it was 5 cents a text.

Also, about Mobile Magic - I tried to download it a couple of nights ago in Canada - and was denied saying I was in the wrong country :( I'll have to wait until we get to WDW to download it!

We were able to download Mobile Magic a few days ago on our iPod no problem.

On this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2958064, it mentions that for iPhones you have download it using your iPhone.

Regardless, in the last few days, they have fixed the iPod issue, and we have it on our CDN iTunes iPod.

Also downloaded it to my new US cell last night (Android), and I can confirm that the CDN iTunes version and the US version are identical. It just won't let you use the GPS capabilities for checking wait times on any phone as you aren't at Disney.

Tiger :)

:goodvibes I always get a travel pack when we're in the states. The travel pack lasts for 30 days and there are different types (voice, text, data) - each runs about $40. I'm with TELUS and they have travel combos (all the above) available for summer right now for a lower cost.

This upcoming trip I'm going with the data (100MB, its not much - but it will be enough to check one of two things during the day, send a couple tweets and post a couple pics on instagram each day) and unlimited text. It's going to cost me $80, but I think its worth it to not have to worry about roaming every second. I don't go with voice, because I barely use voice when I'm at home anyway.

I also only turn the phone on for half hour intervals every 4-5 hours to check in with people back home. Even though I add the travel pack, I get paranoid about roaming (cause apparently there are areas that roaming charges will take over). Better safe than sorry. ::yes::

We were able to download Mobile Magic a few days ago on our iPod no problem.

On this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2958064, it mentions that for iPhones you have download it using your iPhone.

Regardless, in the last few days, they have fixed the iPod issue, and we have it on our CDN iTunes iPod.

Also downloaded it to my new US cell last night (Android), and I can confirm that the CDN iTunes version and the US version are identical. It just won't let you use the GPS capabilities for checking wait times on any phone as you aren't at Disney.

Tiger :)

Thank you! I tried it on my DH's android a few days ago and it says "not available in your country". I'll give it another shot - just saves time and hassle when we are there :)

I've just posted my thoughts about T-Mobile's pay by the day program and free calling back to Canada via Google Voice in the thread stickied (that's not actually a word, is it) to the top of the page re. calling at WDW.

Thank you! I tried it on my DH's android a few days ago and it says "not available in your country". I'll give it another shot - just saves time and hassle when we are there :)

I'm not sure if it will work on your CDN Android phone, as we have a US cell phone.

It is working fine on our iPod though which has a Canadian iTunes account.

Good luck, Tiger

Figured I would have to switch it to the US SIM card. No worries, i'll do it either when we're there or when we're on our way there.

I have an iPhone. I get the Telus US 30 day Text pass, that gives me unlimited texting. I don't need voice, I have a phone card from Shaw, so I make phone calls to home when I'm in my room, I think it's 4 cents a minute.

IMO, Data is way too expensive even with the US 30 day plan, and I'd always be worried that I'd go over.

A tip from a friend was to turn off all non essential services. I am going to be turning off email, location services, maps, ect and removing any apps I have limited control over. I know facebook is a bad one for that but I don't actually use it.

Rogers also has a plan that gives you some data ect. Were getting it for our phones, hoever we also have the couples plan and can call or text each other for free. The plan is to unplug for the week while in the parks.

Rogers also has a plan that gives you some data ect. Were getting it for our phones, hoever we also have the couples plan and can call or text each other for free. The plan is to unplug for the week while in the parks.

Just to let you know, that your Couples plan will not work in the parks for calls and texts. You always must have a roaming travel pack on your phones, or you will be charged for long distance calls and International texts, BTDT with Rogers. We can receive unlimited US texts on our phones, but as soon as we send. it's .75 each.

You can add a combo voice/text (remember, texts are through phone and not data) or separate voice and text packs with Rogers. As well, as mentioned, you can add data packs as well.

Tiger

A tip from a friend was to turn off all non essential services. I am going to be turning off email, location services, maps, ect and removing any apps I have limited control over. I know facebook is a bad one for that but I don't actually use it.

On my iPhone I just turn off Data Roaming. Never had a problem. When I get back to my room, with wifi, I just turn it on again if I need it.

How does it work with an iPod then? If it doesn't have data roaming, only wifi - would we need to be in a resort to use the wifi?

How does it work with an iPod then? If it doesn't have data roaming, only wifi - would we need to be in a resort to use the wifi?

They are testing free wifi at Epcot this summer. It should work at least at that park. Dont know if the other parks will follow suit. Certainly would be better for us Canadians. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter