• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does Anyone "Prefer" Offsite?

I am so glad I found this thread! I have ressies for on-site in October for a family of 5. I was thinking with the kids, etc., it would be easier to stay on site. However, after reading this thread, I notice that those who prefer OFF site are the ones with kids! I may have to rethink my original plans. Of course, I will have to consult my personal WDW consultant (AKA my sister, who has made several disney trips!)
We can only afford a moderate, because there are 5 of us. MAYBE by staying off site most nights, we can splurge for a deluxe onsite for one night!
Hmmm, gotta lot of thinking to do........

I NEED villa accomodation and washer dryer with 3 kids. We also need our own space to relax. I like relaxing in a hot tub, but they are often crowded and full of chattering people who make you feel like you are invading their space, when all I want is to sit quietly. Thats why I bought into DVC so I can be onsite still as I think the Disney rooms are much lovelier than offsite accomodations and I DO notice the Disney magic! I do think though that offsite hotels are much better value for money - more spacious, real closets, microwaves and refirgerators free/cheap breakfasts. If I was not a DVC member I would only stay a few days onsite and the majority offsite. This year we are staying at Pop Century for the Disney part of the vacation but have 2 rooms. We dont benefit from onsite perks. We are never out of the room before 9am so EE is not a bonus, we have a car so can do without the transportation. We prefer off site restaurants as onsite restaurants are overpriced. I think that the Sheraton Safari and DD hotels are a good alternative to onsite resorts.:D

We stay both on and off-site. We have just returned from a 10-day Christmas visit with my brother and his family. We rented a home in Windsor Palms with spa and pool. It was wonderful. I was able to cook my traditional Christmas dinner and we could spread out the 4 cousins when they'd had enough of each other. We did take breaks during the day and found the 12 to 15 minutes to the MK was not a problem.

When DH and I sneak down to WDW for my birthday, we're staying at POR (wanted a hot tub, so no values or FW for me!).

I think the trade-off is far more space and meal flexibility off-site, and maybe easier getting around on-site if you don't know the area. At crowded times, EE is definitely a plus.

We will have a rental car on the next trip, and probably will drive to the parks some. We're AP holders, so the parking fee isn't an issue.

I know that many claim there is no magic in off-site locations, but I always find the magic is in my heart and fills me up whenever I see Illuminations or now Wishes.

My sister and I have this debate. She prefers off-site for the savings, extra space and free breakfasts. I love on-site for the great perks like transportation/magic feeling... My rationale is I am only going to Disney once every 4 years or so, I would hate to spend all that money and then be disapointed in the accomadations. Staying onsite I KNOW I will get top notch service, clean rooms...
But the difference is she has 5 kids and I only have 3. I really think if you are a large group and your budget is an issue off-site is great.
How about a compromise-- stay at the Grosvenor at downtown Disney (They have had rooms around $40 I think) or see another thread about a hotel at Downtown Disney that had $20 rooms!!! (Seems too good to be true.)
I stayed off-site once and had a great time but the shuttle was too infrequent and it just lacked the atmosphere that we enjoy so much at ASMovies.

How long would it take to get from Windsor Palms to the front gate of WDW?

Lori P.

Originally posted by momm2four
How long would it take to get from Windsor Palms to the front gate of WDW?

Lori P.

That depends on what exactly you consider the "front gate" but in general, it takes about 10 minutes to get from the exit of the complex to Disney property. You go up to 192, turn right and go up a little ways to the WDW exit. If you are heading to AK, there is a shortcut from 192 - I think its Sherberth Road but I didn't actually go that way. I didn't learn about it until after we got home.

Compare that to the bus ride from most of the hotels and you'll see why I don't consider staying onsite to be any more convenient.

Steve

Offsite is a much better deal when you get a package like at Expedia, however, do a search for hotel review sites and read what others have to say about the hotel before you book a trip.
This will be our second Disney trip this year. I could not see spending big bucks for a hotel room on site. I searched, found the package deals I was interested in, then did a search on hotel reviews. I was amazed at some of the reviews others had written about hotel rooms, everything from being dirty, no toilet seats, bugs, elevators not working, etc. Another hint: If you buy your tickets as part of your pkg. do not let some young desk clerk tell you you get them at Disney. You don't. We drove 15 miles the first day last year, parked, rode the tram to the ticket window with our vouchers only to be told no, you get them at the hotel. There is no return tram to the parking lot in the morning so we walked all the way back to the car, another 15 miles to the hotel and another clerk found our envelope under the desk. We got another great deal this year with car, airfare, 3 star hotel with great reviews for 7 days, and 5 day park hopper passes for $700.
Say two adults-$1400 OFFSITE IS GREAT BUT CHECK REVIEWS FIRST.

Look at it this way...how much are you REALLY in your room? The only perk is transportation, and we can rent a car cheaper than we can stay onsite. DH and I only return to the room to sleep. We're out by 8 a.m. and back around 9 p.m. When our DD is old enough to go w/ us (she's only 6 mos.) then maybe it'll be different. Until then, our $600/4 nite trip (inc. airfare) is the way to go!

We have done both. In fact our last trip was our first on-site (Swan) trip and this summer will be Swan again.

I am getting considerably more fussy with where I stay. I want to be close! We stayed at the ?Travelodge? (which one has the sleepy bear?) Kissimmee Flags in 1988 - $20 nite! Huge room, clean, etc. It was however at the far end of 192 at that time (near where WalMart is now?). It was a long drive!

In 2000 we stayed at the Courtyard DTD (now a Holiday Inn I believe) and it was fine. I just hated the bus service. I understand it has improved from what I have read. It took forever for a bus to get there in the morning and we had to walk about 30 miles to get back on the bus at nite. Plus we were stop #2 in the morning so we had to pick up every other hotel!! Canned sardines by the time everyone loaded.

2002- Swan - need I say more? We still had a car so we could bop off-site if we wanted to shop or eat Chik-fil-a or Steak-n-Shake.

2004 - Swan - (their discount rates help!)

However, I could stay off-site again if needed. I seriously think I would choose either the Fairfield or Residence Inn at Little Lake Bryan or the HI Family Suites. Both seem to have great rates and I am a firm believer in Marriott properties. I like consistency.

Put me in the offsite group!
For us, it allows us to take some other vacations during the year (not to Disney). It's just a matter or priorities. We like to travel more often, even if it means not staying at the fanciest places.
Having said that... during our last vacation (non-Disney) we stayed at a very nice hotel, and it is hard to go back to the cheap ones! I have to admit that I am now willing to spend a little more for a nicer place, but I still would stay off-site.

One thing that I am not flexible on is location. I won't stay at an off-site hotel that is more than 2 miles or so from Disney. This still leaves plenty of choices. It doesn't take any longer to get back to these hotels than it does to get to many of the Disney hotels. And since we would rent a car no matter what, it really makes sense for us.

Where are you guys getting such great deals on villas and/or suites? Now that we have a child, we're starting to think about staying somewhere with some more space. Do tell! I know the Days Inn Suites (Eastgate) are really cheap, but then again I'd rather stay in a nicer hotel room for the same price if the reviews are true.

as we just got back last night from an 8 night stay at the HOmewood Suites in Kissimmee. (Keep in mind, this is KISSIMMEE, not the Homewood Suites in Orlando). That was our second time there and I would recommend it to anyone on a budget and anyone who desires a suite. It was, again, clean, cheap and spacious. We paid $59/night (after much negotiating, as that is not their standard rate) for a 1 bedroom suite. It had two full beds in the bedroom and a pull-out sofa in the living room. There is a full wall/door separating the bedroom from the living space, so we were able to put the kids to bed and close the door. There is a tv in the bedroom and living room. The pool and hot tub had been emptied and cleaned the week before we arrived, so they were nice and clean and reasonably warm. The bkfst buffet was pretty much the same every day, but still fresh and filling (scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, pastries, waffles, pancakes, fruit, cereal, muffins, instant oatmeal, juices, coffee, cocoa, toast, english muffins, jam, peanut butter). We only made it to the "manager's reception" one day, but it was a quick and cheap dinner. It was hotdogs and chips and tossed salad, beer, wine, soda. I noticed the menu on other days was tacos, and baked potatoes. So this could easily be dinner any day. This runs from 5-7 pm. It never took us more than 15 minutes from the hotel parking lot to the theme park parking lot. Granted, this was during off-season, but it is only one or two exits down 192 from the WDW turn off (depending on which park you are going to). We never saw more than what we would consider "average" traffic. There is also a lot of shopping/restaurants on that 192 strip available. We ate at Shoney's, TGI Fridays, and McDonalds. My DH also went to Walmart one night for Benadryl (DS's allergies were acting up) and diet coke, and he ran to Subway for the Atkins wrap sandwiches.

Anyhow, if you would like any specific information, please don't hesitate to ask!!! I would be happy to answer any questions.
In summary, it is not fancy or exciting, but it is clean, reasonably quiet, close to the parks, and cheap. What more can you ask for?.........................P:teeth:

I have been several times to Disney and we go yearly now. We once made the mistake of staying Offsite at a very popular Hotel chain that was close to Disney and offered free transportation to Disney. Here is the HORROR of it all. The week was not a honeymoon, but we were still newlyweds. My wife (the entire week) would NOT slip into anything slinky. There was a VERY good reason why. She felt (even in the room) as though she was being watched. We would lay in bed at night and hear people walking (and at time running) and it became a goal of ours to find these people. We never did. It sounded as though they were in-between the rooms. We felt as though we were being watched in the room. It was a creepy feeling that we both felt, and having traveled extensively, haven't felt before or after. Before you dismiss this an paranoia, keep reading! The following week after our trip we returned home. I went to a local delivery for my business and there was a guy there who was a previous FL resident. He asked me how my vacation was and I said WDW was GREAT! But everything about the hotel stunk! The transportation (late and poorly scheduled), the cont breakfast was horrible and old, the workers were hateful, they tried to charge us for expenses we hadn't used, etc etc etc. I then proceeded to tell him how my wife wouldnt get into anything slinky and how we were hearing things in the walls and how it wasn't a very fun vacation for newlyweds and how it was creepy. To my horror, he laughed, and said "You must have stayed at the___ ___ __ ___ ___" I knew that I hadn't mentioned this to anyone else and he had no way to know this. My mouth dropped to the floor. He said that there was a 20/20 investigation a few years back and there was a large area between some of the rooms that 20/20 had located, and that they had been under investigation several times for this. He then said that his aunt had the same experience while taking a bath there. She removed the shower faucet bathplate screw and gouged a coathanger past the fixture (it's possible; I'm a plumber) and heard a man groan and say a profanity and heard rustling sounds behind the wall. True story, and I wouldn't lie about this. It was a nightmare. While I cant say for sure about his aunts experience, I have no reason to doubt it, as he was a good friend, and an honest person. We have stayed at Disney properties ever since and have been very satisfied with our experiences.
I did not see the 20/20 report, and will not give out the name of the place, besides, that was 9 years ago, and it may not even be there anymore, or be under new management, or renovated. Some may dismiss this story as just that, but I know what happened to us, and thats enough for me. I will never stay at any hotel from this huge chain ever again, and I now inspect the rooms well before paying for them. We had a similiar experience at the OBX, at a cheap hotel while doing one of the timeshare deals, and the miniblinds on this bottom floor would only lower to almost the bottom of the window, but left a 1.5" gap. Anyone walking past the back of this hotel (which had no lighting in the rear of the hotel on this particular side) could walk up to the window and look in. The shower had a clear plastic curtain, and they could get a free show. Makes you think.

Although I love on site I just can't justify the extra money. With the money we would spend onsite we purchase PAP's and go yearly and stay at a nice off site hotel. We drive everywhere we go. When the kids were little we stayed on site. Now they're teens and they're main requirement for a hotel is that it have a nice pool.

Is it just me or does the phrase 'urban myth' spring to mind when reading Chilehead's post?!!!:confused: :eek:

Word of advice Chilehead - don't take any kids to WDW because there's this BIG coverup about all the kids that are kidnapped and sold on the blackmarket.....................:rolleyes: ;)

No myth. And Ive had nothing but fun at WDW. Never heard any rumors of "kidnapped kids". Nieve people are often victums because they never believe that anyone would do anything wrong. There's a dozen or more shows "Forensic Files, Cold Case detectives, etc" that show things much more unbelievable than my post every single day. Do you call all of them liars as well?
What possible motive would I have for making this up??? I'm not a disney resort manager trying to convince anyone to stay onsite. I own a successful plumbing company in NC, and separate entrepreneur sales company. I didnt name any hotel. So no revenge was done. This isnt one of those "email hoaxes" it is just my experiences. If you dont believe it, please keep your remarks to yourself. I don't lie, and have no reason to do so. I dont go around looking for negativity. I'm a very positive person, and 98% of the time have a great time on vacation. But there WAS that event, and it WAS real, and the fact that my buddy had no way to know where I stayed, yet he named the place by name... Well, its enough for me. PS I DID see a show on TV very recently about how video cameras are being used to catch criminals and there were several stories on there that were similiar to mine, only with rental property, but I guess they were all lying too. :o :o

Type in "hotel reviews" and find hotels that have very good comments. I know there are some really questionable hotels out there. That is why I always try to find hotel names with good reviews first before I select a package deal. I have been shocked by some 3 star hotels in the past that were dumps but since checking some reviews, I have not been surprised thus far. Also, when you stay at a hotel, go to a review site and leave a review of the hotel you were in for others. It really helps! If everybody would leave a review of a hotel for others to read, it would help everyone, including a hotel that might not be aware what others are thinking. Did you have something that did not work? Poor service? Dirty room and hard to get someone to respond? Or, did you have a super room with extra special personnel who bent over backwards to make your stay enjoyable? Then tell others about it!!!! It truly helps us all!

That was my biggest mistake. My travel agent said that the hotel chain had a great reputation, but that this particular hotel was the single cheapest hotel that offered free shuttling to the parks. At $27.99 per night, I know you can't expect miracles, but that was much more than bad service LOL. I just booked (ONLY 7 MORE DAYS!!!!) a room at Disney's new Pop Century for $55.00 per night (with code), and though it's an awesome price, I don't expect any problems there. Only expectations of a wonderful trip. Disney Value resorts have been good to us in the past. The old cliche "You get what you pay for" holds true for Hotels most of the time too. It was a long time ago, I just wanted to make people aware that crazy stuff like that can happen so be observant.
BTW we have also had good experiences since then at OBX as well, once again by staying at more reputable hotels.

If the price is right at a Disney onsite resort then I like to stay onsite. However, over the past few years when I have visited WDW during holiday or high season I have no problems in staying at Downtown Disney, especially with the good rates these hotels many times have available.

Also, if we are getting into Orlando late on the first night I don't mind offsite lodging that night and then moving to a Disney resort for the rest of the trip.

Phrank

We have stayed both offsite and onsite, but as has been mentioned we prefer offsite for numerous reasons. 1.. cost, we stayed offsite last year for $79.00 per night, I realize other have had cheaper rates, but we loved it, we had 5 resort pools, one was themed with 5 water slides, a mini wave pool, erupting volcano, snack & bar beside the pool, then our condo was amazing 1 bedroom, a separated bath with garden tub with jets and sink on one side, toliet, shower, and another sink on the other side separated by a door, washer & dryer, full kitchen, full table with 6 chairs, living area with fold out couch, and two shairs, window seat and balcony (can you tell I liked the resort). 2. Larger living space without paying a fortune (I'm on the budget board for a reason) 3. Getting away from all of the busy people and having a calm moment to breath (I love disney, I love downtown disney, but I don't always love the crowds) this also gives us a moment to breath so that we can be ready to do it all again the next day. 4. Food costs are down, we eat breakfast in the room (DH loves to cook too so I don't have to do it all), dishwasher (need I say more), pack snacks, freeze water for the parks, and can even have Pizza delievered if we really don't want to do anything more after the parks. We always drive to Disney too so we always have our own car and we find it easy to get around the disney area, plus we get to do more explorering than if we were counting on someone else to transport us. Don't get me wrong, onsite is great too, but I want to spend my money doing other things like shopping, eating at nice restaurants, and just having fun! Great question, I think I've said too much
:eek: !

Kelly

Ditto to everything Kelly just said...exactly the way we feel. I would only add this. We're to the point where even if a Mod was the same price we would probably stay off-site because the room is still bigger and nicer, along with all the other reasons Kelly stated. Disney really missed the boat on suites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter