Does Anyone "Prefer" Offsite?

Originally posted by mom2twinz3
We just got back from HIFS and we found that most comfortable and well-suited to our needs. The only drawback was sharing one bathroom, however there were two blow dryer/vanity areas so that compensated a little for that.

Mary

Mary, there are numerous places nearby where you could have more than 1 bathroom. We recently rented a 3-bed, 2-bath condo at Windsor Palms for $90/nite (and there are cheaper units available). I don't know what you paid at HIFS, but its something to consider for your next trip.

Steve

When we first started going to WDW we would always stay on-site, mostly because it seemed so complicated to get around and so we used Disney transportation all of the time. As the years passed and we got more and more comfortable driving around inside of WDW, we started venturing outside of there and trying different restaurants, shopping and entertainment. We discovered that it is pretty easy to find your way around WDW and the area around WDW and so then chose to start staying off-site at least some of the time.

We always have a rental car since we like to drive to the beach for at least a day and so that makes the choice of staying on or off-site a bit easier, since we aren't tied to any of the off-site shuttle schedules. Our last trip (just got back on Saturday) was off-site at the Vistana in a 2 bedroom and our next trip (this February) will be on-site at Pop Century. So much of the off-site/on-site, value/moderate/deluxe is just plain old personal preference(smile), and since my spouse and I are pretty flexible and find things to enjoy about every resort we've stayed at, we usually have a whole bunch of choices about where to stay.

We like on site because we always go back to our cabin during the middle of the day for a break. I admit the cabins at FW are expensive, but we can at least cook our own meals and don't have the expense of eating at the restaurants. I have to admit seeing the posts about the off site condos has made me curious, but FW has so much to offer for my grandson it would be hard to not stay there. Just hoping they come out with a discount code before we go!

I always stay off site. Just got back from a stay in a 2 bedroom condo in Orange Lake Resort. The resort was beautiful, with many swimming pools, beach, mini golf, activities. We did none of it. We spent all the time at the parks. It would be that same if I had stayed on site, all my time would be in the parks. Instead I had a wonderful place to sleep with private bedrooms, whirlpool bath, lovely kitchen area and relaxing living area. Just what I need at the end of a very busy day. And the best thing was I paid so little for it. That's the true magic for me.

BonnieA - That's a point I forgot to mention. I certainly agree that the onsite properties have nicer theming, lobbies, pools, shops, restaurants, etc. but we never would make use of any of them, so why pay for the privilege?

dtum - We've stayed offsite many times, and many days we have returned to our hotel/house/condo mid-day for a break. It may take a couple more minutes than getting back to a Disney resort (though sometimes its quicker), but its well worth losing 5 minutes out of our day to save hundreds of dollars and having 4-5 times more space.

Steve

disneysteve: When you come and go during the day, do you have to pay to park twice? I've heard they close the park during the day...can you get back in, if you leave?

I'm not 'disneysteve', but I think I can answer your questions. No, you don't have to pay to park twice.... just keep your parking pass that they gave you in the morning. Yes, they can occasionally close the parks to arriving off-site guests (on-site guests can always get in I believe), but I think that only happens a few times a year (NYE, Christmas time, maybe 4th of July?). Most of the time it wouldn't be a problem...... Hope this helps....P

Thanks! Helps a lot. I'm actually considering changing our reservations to a condo off site, just have to convince daughter and son-in-law. Where do you find condos to rent?

I agree with dtum. I LOVE onsite because we always have our own pop-up camper and stay at Ft Wilderness. It is just about the most relaxing and magical place to be!! We also usually make one off-site day to Cocoa Beach but all-in-all we are always glad to be off the public highways and back on Disney property.

We stayed off site one time and HATED it in that we had to fight the traffic all the time.

We usually will stay for 9 nights, but only go into the parks 3 days w/ 2 water park days. VERY relaxing!!! We certainly get our money's worth enjoying our resort. Our kids are late teens and still enjoy going with us ... this last year we splurged for the water mice - loved it! This year we are going to do the Family package of $200 for 7 days of unlimited use of water mice and pontoon boats for our family of 4.

Onsite always for me!

dtum - pjlla already answered your parking question and commented on park closings. Regarding closings, they are pretty rare. If you have an annual pass, i believe they let you in. Personally, we feel that if the park is so crowded that they have to close the gates, we probably don't want to be there anyway.

As for findings rental homes, there are several good websites. Two that I've used are:

http://www.vrbo.com/vrbo/flcentral.htm

That lists many different developments.

And for just Windsor Palms where we recently stayed, I booked thru:

http://www.windsor-palms-resort.com/

I'm sure others can recommend some additional sites.

Steve

We stayed off-site last year with our then 4 year old. We were upgraded to a kid's suite room. For us, it was not only inexpensive but gave us a little time away from the sensory overload. It also gave us the option of eating out or in and the included breakfast buffet was great. Being offsite doesn't mean being far away as we were only a hop, skip and a jump away from Downtown Disney.

We always stay in a villa. We've been as far away as Hwy 27, but this year we stayed at Indian Creek. Perfect in all respects.

For me, it's a no brainer

- space
- kids get their own room
- fridge full of food everyone likes
- fridge full of beer and wine....;)
- private pool
- only £190 ($270ish) per person for 2 whole weeks (10 sharing 6 bed home)
- being from UK, it's a chance to sample American life.

Also, going back to base, however near it is, during the day isn't really an option in October when we visit, as the opening hours are quite short.

Having said that I would like to stay onsite at Universal Orlando for a couple of nights to take advantage of FOTL access.

When we win the lottery, we're buying a pool home in Formosa Gardens!

We've stayed in both off-site and on-site and enjoyed both. I love the extra room and free meals for the kids off-site, but love the extra perks of Disney. Stayed in the Dolphin last time and that location is perfect. The boats to Epcot and MGM (or just walk) are fantastic and the Boardwalk is great. You just really feel like your in the middle of everything there.

Regardless of price, we prefer an offsite villa for the extra room, the kitchen, and the resort atmosphere. We also much prefer driving than waiting for an overcrowded bus (with no carseats).

People like to say the pools are better onsite, but I didn't find the pools at POR or Boardwalk at all impressive, and some offsite resorts have great pools. However, my family did enjoy the Boardwalk area and would consider renting a villa some time in the future.

We're DVC members, so it onsite all the time. The farthest offsite is a DTD hotel for one night. OR DVC at Vero Beach.

My dd and I go to Disney every year. We have stayed onsite when we visit Disney and then switch offsite when we do Universal. Next year we are staying completely offsite for many reasons. We don't use WDW transportation, we rent a car. You have to stand in line at the WDW hotels for checking in, food, if you have questions and the pools at the All Star are not that great. Plus you have to eat WDW food. We stayed three nights this year at the Sheraton Safari and I kept asking myself why didn't we do this sooner. There are all types of places to eat, you park your car at the hotel and walk a few feet to your room, etc. Plus you pay more staying at the WDW hotels. EE is a benefit but if you plan on staying until closing, you will be worn out. WDW also advertises that if you stay onsite you can go back to your room midday and take a break. We never do. We gt there when it opens and stay until it closes. Definitely offsite is much better and economical.

We have stayed both on-site and off. While we enjoyed the ambiance at both the WL and AKL, our last trip was strained by the close quarters. Our daughters (then 5 and 4) fought constantly. There was no getting away from each other. DH and I had to forgo our nightly shows for 9 nights as the tv interrupted the girl's sleep. Additionally, after about the fifth day of park and restaurant food, I would have killed to have homemade spaghetti. This year, we are going to try a place like Windsor Palms where we can separate the girls when necessary, cook our own food when we want to and even watch an occasional tv show.

Buzz 2400-If you can, stay onsite the days you're going to Uni. Your hotel key lets you get in the "fastpass" line. Positively outstanding

Another from the "offsite and lovin' it camp"....for any frequent travelers out there who belong the Hyatt Gold Passport program...you can easily get in return for your saved up Hyatt points....

* a suite at the Grand Cypress Hyatt (next to the recently opened Ritz Carlton, the best hotel in Orlando imho)

* kids get adjoining "kid friendly" room with separate bath

* complimentary breakfast in the Regency Club (smoked salmon, chocolate croissants)

* complimentary appetizers/desserts in the evening

* use of all resort amenities (they have a great pool and their own lake!!)

* EZ access to Disney (10 minute ride at most)

all for NO CHARGE except for $14/day valet parking/tips....

...very tough to beat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter